Digital Art Zone

1 of 18
BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE     ►►►Early Summer Edition◄◄◄      Theme is   ­▄▀▄▀▄ STREAMS ▄▀▄▀▄
Posted: 11 May 2014 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17150
Joined  2003-10-09

Ninth DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

NOW SPONSORED BY DAZ 3D

Theme for this month is “Streams”
                          ɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚɚ

C-ram actually gave me the theme as “Tropical Stream” but I felt that may be too limiting for a contest of this sort, so have changed it to just be simply “Streams” which gives much more leeway in subject matter, which we prefer for this challenge.. Feel free to use imports and postwork is allowed but not so that it dominates your image. OK, Bryce away!

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don’t have to do that. I collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the next contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 30th June :-  Midnight DAZ 3D time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
                    2nd Place $20
                    3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User.  Jaderail has offered $20 and DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 11 May 2014 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2010-03-25

Agree with you chohole, the theme I’ve suggest is too limitative. So the new challenge is starting!! Good luck to everyone and I’m waiting to see some new and great renders. Count on me too, I’m still working on right now.

Posted: 11 May 2014 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2006-02-21

Thank you C-ram and Chohole… for this challenge…
Hmmm… How to approach this theme…. The concept is the biggest challenge…  There are so many ways to look at it.  Fun!
Steve

Posted: 11 May 2014 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2003-10-09

A good idea - should be interesting!

Posted: 11 May 2014 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  572
Joined  2011-05-31

This one sounds like fun but maybe a real challenge for me. I’m still trying to learn things but I’m sure I’ll come up with something.

Signature 

Known as fictionalbookshelf on Renderosity.
My Freebies
My Store

Posted: 12 May 2014 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3062
Joined  2004-10-25
fictionalromance - 11 May 2014 02:40 PM

This one sounds like fun but maybe a real challenge for me. I’m still trying to learn things but I’m sure I’ll come up with something.

Go for it!!!  That’s how you learn.  cool smirk

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 13 May 2014 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1797
Joined  2011-09-25

Maybe this time the old gray matter can come up with something better suited to the theme.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 13 May 2014 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I like it when people use lateral thinking about the themes

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge

Posted: 14 May 2014 12:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

But if I use too much lateral thinking, I usually end up falling off my chair.wink

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.

Posted: 14 May 2014 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Just make sure it is not stream side, else you may get washed away. cool smirk

Signature 

Posted: 14 May 2014 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2008-11-30

what an interesting topic. I look forward to your ideas grin

Posted: 14 May 2014 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1781
Joined  2007-12-10

So I’ve now completed the base scene which I hope I can develop with some vegetation and stuff… Though even this part was taking over 4 hours to render so adding trees and plants is going to be a long job. smile

Image Attachments
Stream.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 15 May 2014 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1781
Joined  2007-12-10

Re-shaped and re-textured the terrain and added vegetation. Also decided it needed more sky so made it square now.

Image Attachments
Stream8.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 16 May 2014 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@Pam:  I’m not worried, I can swim. wink

@Dave:  That scene is looking really good.

This WIP started as an exercise to see if I could finally get a good looking terrain, something besides a single mountain.  I tried combining a couple of textures and fiddled with one, added a curvature filter, another experiment, and saw it might have a use for this challenge.  I also rendered one using haze, which seems to work well.  The first is after tweaking the material a bit and the second after adding haze.  Any comments are gladly welcomed.

Image Attachments
Ravine_7.pngRavine_8.png
 Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2014 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2005-08-28

Hey Savage;

Beautiful job on the terrain and the stream. Nicely done sir!

Bruce

Signature 

Fan-atic over Bryce, DAZ Studio, Paint Shop Pro and my Photography
My Bryce Freebies http://www.sharecg.com/goshtac
My Art & Photography Web Site:    http://www.goshtac.com/
My Renderosity Hangout: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?userid=381287

cool smile   Bruce Davey /  aka GOSHTAC

Posted: 16 May 2014 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2005-08-28

Hi Guss

Like where your idea is going - looking good buddy. I can never seem to get terrains quite right and will have to check out some of David’s tutorials such as the curvature filter everyone seems to be talking about.

I have been thinking about the theme for this challenge, but for some reason my brain has turned to mush this week. I am looking forward to seeing your final image and the other forum members entries.

Have a great weekend!

Bruce

Signature 

Fan-atic over Bryce, DAZ Studio, Paint Shop Pro and my Photography
My Bryce Freebies http://www.sharecg.com/goshtac
My Art & Photography Web Site:    http://www.goshtac.com/
My Renderosity Hangout: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?userid=381287

cool smile   Bruce Davey /  aka GOSHTAC

1 of 18