Digital Art Zone

4 of 4
24 Cores Of Rendering Goodness
Posted: 01 August 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  409
Joined  2008-08-29

Garstor,

Would you mind doing a simple (though perhaps slow) test for me? I’m curious as to the speed up ratio for an AMD chip from single threaded to fully multithreaded. In preferences you can turn off the multithreaded rendering. What I would like to see is single threaded vs multithreaded for identical scene where it takes at least a minute (if not two or three) for the multithreaded render to complete. What I’m after is the scaling of the new AMD architecture with the Carrara render engine. My concern is each module (two cores) having only a single FPU and how much Carrara needs FPU resources.

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 04 August 2012 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1388
Joined  2011-01-03
thoromyr - 01 August 2012 06:55 AM

Garstor,

Would you mind doing a simple (though perhaps slow) test for me? I’m curious as to the speed up ratio for an AMD chip from single threaded to fully multithreaded. In preferences you can turn off the multithreaded rendering. What I would like to see is single threaded vs multithreaded for identical scene where it takes at least a minute (if not two or three) for the multithreaded render to complete. What I’m after is the scaling of the new AMD architecture with the Carrara render engine. My concern is each module (two cores) having only a single FPU and how much Carrara needs FPU resources.

Sorry for the late reply…I never got an email notifying of the thread update (the new forums were supposed to fix that…I guess it is one more thing to add to the long list of To Fix items that the Daz devs have).

Send me a PM with the details of your test and I’ll see what I can come up with.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 04 August 2012 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
megacal - 20 July 2012 10:17 AM

Garstor,

how are you keeping your machine cool? Extra fans? Oversized heat sinks?

....in Texas in a heat wave!  =O

Yeah it has been hot lately. I’m embarassed to admit, these new boxes don’t have many fans. The heat sinks seem capable for the time being and I do not intend to overclock.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 04 August 2012 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
evilproducer - 21 July 2012 06:30 AM

Some of Carrara’s features only will use one processor. I don’t know what they are off-hand, but seem to recall that maybe physics was calculated with one processor, and there might have been a render setting or two….

That figures…  wink

I suppose that I could do some further testing with Process Explorer / Process Monitor to see where threads activate.

Now if only the day job would stop intruding with my hobby! :D

Signature 

- Garstor

4 of 4