Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Text Input? Or am I over thinking this! 
Posted: 14 July 2012 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  337
Joined  2011-12-30

I am new to making textures and need some input or to know if I am over thinking this which I often do. I use corel draw x4, paint.net and gimp when making textures.

On this Halloween texture, I need to make the pumpkin on the shirt look more part of the shirt rather than sitting on top of the shirt.

The third image has the most pumpkin art effects.

Thanks
Kimberly

Image Attachments
pumpkin-girl3.png
pumpkin-girl2.png
pumpkin-girl1.png
 Signature 

3D Artist Network.

Posted: 14 July 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Two things:

1. The colors used in the pumpkin vary in tonality from the underlying color palatte (of the shirt) and if you bring this closer it will help, either by modifying colors or by using a filter layer above the images to blend them.

2. Try a Gaussian blur on the edges of the pumpkin to help it blend better into the underlying image. This should probably be point 1.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 14 July 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2009-02-20

Heya,

It might blend a bit more if you erase the fine line of white around the edge of the pumpkin.  I’ve found with my own work that sometimes when I add an image with a transparent background that it kind of has that white around the edge and when I erase it it seems to blend much better.  Maybe you could add a blanket stitch or something around the outside of the pumpkin too, so it looks more like an applique (not sure of the spelling on that one lol).

Posted: 14 July 2012 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-12-30

Thank you both for the input. It is very very helpful.

Signature 

3D Artist Network.

Posted: 14 July 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Well a Gaussian blur to the edge effectively gets rid of the white line.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 15 July 2012 03:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15125
Joined  2003-10-09

I use Photoshop when making my textures, and use the layers to blend designs, things like “overlay” will blend things in more if you want the pumkin to look more as though it is painted into the main design

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 15 July 2012 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Yes, thanks for mentioning the layer blending mode that you’ve found works. Layer blending modes can be tricky, deciding which one works. I often have to poke around till I get what I want smile

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2012 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I have found it is particularly useful when laying designs on tee shirts. Also works well with sweaters.

Image Attachments
m4_tee_5.png
fairisle_Longknit.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge

Posted: 15 July 2012 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

ohhh, we like examples, ty smile

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2012 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

For KimberSue, I think what would possibly help is to actually make your Pumkin look more as though it is an actual Applique, maybe a little texture on it so it looks more as though it is made of fabric.

Designs are often appliqued onto childrens clothes

Image Attachments
gigi_sunny.png
gigi_kids_orange.png
 Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-12-30
chohole - 15 July 2012 03:55 AM

I use Photoshop when making my textures, and use the layers to blend designs, things like “overlay” will blend things in more if you want the pumkin to look more as though it is painted into the main design

I have been using layers too but I am more of a corel draw person so having to re-learn paint type programs. Thanks for your input.

Signature 

3D Artist Network.

Posted: 15 July 2012 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-12-30

Thanks to everyone, I have made a ton of notes and plan to work on learning this.

Signature 

3D Artist Network.

Posted: 15 July 2012 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Sue I still have Corel Draw, and I started off using that and Corel Photopaint.

I am confident you can get there. Any help you need, just shout. I am always around. I do have a couple or 3 tuts as well, but not one that for what you wnat to do with this.

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-12-30
chohole - 15 July 2012 08:01 AM

Sue I still have Corel Draw, and I started off using that and Corel Photopaint.

I am confident you can get there. Any help you need, just shout. I am always around. I do have a couple or 3 tuts as well, but not one that for what you wnat to do with this.

I started with Corel Draw on version 3 however Photopaint has not been update by Corel to keep up with other programs so I playing with Paint.net today and I am sure I will get there.  I will yell if I need help.

Signature 

3D Artist Network.

Posted: 15 July 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-12-30
chohole - 15 July 2012 03:55 AM

I was researching photoshop products. What version do you use? I found everything from the elements or CS5 Version?

Signature 

3D Artist Network.

Posted: 15 July 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I am using a fairly old version, so old I think I am out of the upgrade cycle now. I could afford it when I got it, can’t afford to upgrade now.

I actually use PS7.

Signature 

1 of 2