Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Why are we not allowed to create polls?
Posted: 13 July 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  398
Joined  0

Simple question for DAZ authorities: Why are we not allowed to create forum polls?

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 13 July 2012 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15717
Joined  2003-10-09

Polls are a feature that needs to be used with restraint if they are not to lose their impact, they need to stand out when an official poll, such as a members choice list, is run. Also, by past experience it’s too easy for people to put provocative or offensive questions and responses up - rather than getting into arguments over what is or isn’t legitimate it seems best to pretty much lock them down. We would allow polls in the Art Studio, for render challenges etc., as on the old forums.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 13 July 2012 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8423
Joined  2009-07-13

tongue wink so polls are like chocolate, pizza and icecream, a sometime food for special occassions. tongue rolleye
unfortunately I am unhealthy eating gobble guts!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 13 July 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  648
Joined  2006-09-30

I thought it was because they were too Poll-Itical.

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 13 July 2012 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1776
Joined  2007-12-10

Meh!

Image Attachments
Forum-Pole2.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 13 July 2012 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2009-12-07
Richard Haseltine - 13 July 2012 12:51 PM

Polls are a feature that needs to be used with restraint if they are not to lose their impact, they need to stand out when an official poll, such as a members choice list, is run.

Sorry Richard but with all due respect, what a load of goobledigobber. We’ve got dozens of stickies, archaic announcements and illogical thread sorting to make our lives miserable and we can’t find anything around here. If the official polls must stand out, why not put official polls in ANNOUNCEMENTS or STICKIES?

Richard Haseltine - 13 July 2012 12:51 PM

Also, by past experience it’s too easy for people to put provocative or offensive questions and responses up - rather than getting into arguments over what is or isn’t legitimate

Again, I respectfully beg to differ. You’re telling me we’re not using a feature X because it can be misused, but how is this different from the forum itself where we can say anything we want and people always end up arguing? How is a poll with a offensive question/response any different from a thread with an offensive comment?

I’m not buying this.

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 13 July 2012 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1776
Joined  2007-12-10

What we really need is a poll to see if polls should be allowed.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 13 July 2012 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
cridgit - 13 July 2012 09:59 PM

Sorry Richard but with all due respect…

Cridgit, while I was composing my response to Richard off-line, you must have been reading my mind because you touched on the same points that I intended to make.
Even though it basically repeats what you wrote, I’m posting it below to reinforce the opinion.

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the reply, but I’m going to have to disagree with your reasoning (or who’s ever reasoning it is).

“Polls are a feature that needs to be used with restraint if they are not to lose their impact”

I do not believe that to be true. Official DAZ polls will most likely be placed in the Announcements section or stickied to the top of the forum, thereby getting plenty of attention. Having numerous user polls scattered through the various other threads would hardly distract from the DAZ polls.

“by past experience it’s too easy for people to put provocative or offensive questions and responses up”

In this regard, a poll is no different than a forum thread. If it doesn’t conform to the forum’s TOS then you delete it (I know that you are familiar with this procedure, since it seems to be your job to delete posts and lock threads).
If a topic is acceptable, then a poll based on that topic should also be acceptable.

Signature 

-Dean

Posted: 14 July 2012 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17

How about this:

The people running the forums don’t want to support them.  They really don’t need a reason why.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 14 July 2012 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  0
Kendall Sears - 14 July 2012 12:25 AM

How about this:

The people running the forums don’t want to support them.  They really don’t need a reason why.

Kendall

Then that’s what they should say.
I’d accept that as an answer.

Signature 

-Dean

Posted: 14 July 2012 01:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13
de3an - 14 July 2012 12:30 AM
Kendall Sears - 14 July 2012 12:25 AM

How about this:

Kendall

Then that’s what they should say.
I’d accept that as an answer.

funny how when we have something breifly then it is taken away it becomes insatiably desirable
I am over uploading 800x800 animated gifs already
just want the YouTube video embed from the old forum back!
even the troll forums like something awful who I find dissing my videos by Google search and YouTube insight have that option.

Image Attachments
th_catz.gif
 Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 14 July 2012 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  819
Joined  2009-12-07
wendy♥catz - 14 July 2012 01:24 AM

funny how when we have something breifly then it is taken away it becomes insatiably desirable

Hi Wendy, its not about the desirability/necessity of the polls. Its about not a single thing working in this steaming pile of craps (that’s a dice game, not a bad word - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/craps) and the one thing that somebody found a use for has been nuked. We’re making a feeble, disorganized attempt to stand up for ourselves, so don’t make us go after your videos wink

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 14 July 2012 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  238
Joined  2006-01-21

Can’t see the big deal.

DAZ never had user polls before, so why start now. There’s plenty of other places where you can start a poll and then link to them.

Why would anyone take offence about such a trivial matter, it now feels to me that people are looking for things to be angry about.

Thats’s my personal view.

Signature 

http://roguepilot.deviantart.com/
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RoguePilot
http://www.ShareCG.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=RoguePilot

Posted: 14 July 2012 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  375
Joined  2004-08-13

I’m all for polls, as long as it’s recognized that if they’re posted in a forum (resulting in a huge sample bias), they’re a not truly valid test of opinion, especially if they show the results before all the responses have been gathered.

I guess the fear is that people will start topics such as “What should Daz fix first?” a) past purchase notification b) forum post order c) login bug d) PC renewal issues…. or whatever.  Then people get all riled up over the results because we’re socialized to believe that statistics are a more powerful form of evidence and should therefore carry more weight in decision making—which may be true in some instances, but not when the stats quoted aren’t all that valid.  But the fact that someone could quote numbers, even bad ones, seems to make some folks more emotional, or self-righteous, and it would be inflammatory.

If polls were confined to fun questions, they’d be fine.  But somehow, I just know there’d be a lot of threads that would need to be deleted because it’s easier to participate in an inflammatory but anonymous poll than in an actual thread.

Posted: 14 July 2012 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-07-13

yeah Velvet Goblin, that WAS what my very recently deleted poll “forum desires” put up the first week was about!
but
hardly anyone posted in it
it was forgotten until I mentioned it in this thread and they shut it down!
I think a poll on who is hotter? M4, David3, Apollo Maximus or Hiro toon would get more responses tongue wink

Signature 

my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 14 July 2012 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2004-03-28

QFT

The point is polls have always been restricted to admin use only as a matter of policy. Frankly, it has been restricted to use as a business tool in conjunction with *Stickies and Announcements.*

Which is just fine by me because *I* have seen the abuse that does happen if you give your member base too much latitude first hand.

RoguePilot - 14 July 2012 04:57 AM

Can’t see the big deal.

DAZ never had user polls before, so why start now. There’s plenty of other places where you can start a poll and then link to them.

Why would anyone take offence about such a trivial matter, it now feels to me that people are looking for things to be angry about.

Thats’s my personal view.

1 of 2