Aint Hex great smile

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 28 March 2014 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1540
Joined  2008-01-01

If only an enthusiastic developer could recognize this and give it the attention it deserves!

Posted: 08 October 2014 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2014-09-07
Roygee - 26 March 2014 11:12 PM

Speaking of welding points…you know how when welding points, you have to validate, or it will weld the next vert you select as well?

I seem to remember, a long time ago when I was feeling my way around, someone like E-Z showed a method of welding consecutive pairs of verts without having to validate between pairs.  It does become a pain when you have many pairs to weld and having to validate every time.

Anyone know what method was used?  Or am I dreaming smile

I don’t know the method you saw, but for me it works the way you describe if I “right click marquee select” the vertices. The point weld will weld all verts inside the marquee, and I can do the next pair without having to validate.

I know this works, because I just spent a good hour doing it on, oh I dunno maybe 500 verts…

Posted: 08 October 2014 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Yes, that works well - thanks for the tip smile

500 points - wow.  What the heck were you doing?  smile

Posted: 11 October 2014 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2014-09-07
Roygee - 08 October 2014 12:37 PM

500 points - wow.  What the heck were you doing?  smile

Trying to weld two separate surfaces. The average weld refuses to work for me. I have uneven edges and try to select vertices with lasso, and avg weld just won’t cooperate.

Posted: 11 October 2014 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

For any points weld operation to work, the meshes with the verts to be welded must be part of the same object.  To do that, select both and weld them - not points weld!

Mass welding jagged edges using average weld is pretty tricky because, as you increase the influence distance, you could end up having two verts on the same mesh which are closer than the two points on the separate meshes you intend to weld.  It is really intended for a fast operation where the edges to be welded are on the same plane and pretty close together.

One thing you could try if this won’t mess up the shape of the polys you want is to loop-select one of the edges to be welded and make the distance on the plane of interest - must be in “world” mode - 0.  Do the same to the other then loop-select both and move them close together.  With the edge-loops still selected, change the selection to points and do the average weld.  This will only affect the selected points.

Hope I’ve managed to explain this OK smile

2 of 2