Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Is a hybrid “keyframed/physics” object possible?
Posted: 13 July 2012 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  351
Joined  0
evilproducer - 13 July 2012 07:42 PM

That’s pretty cool. Totally useless, but cool. Why have a hammer that’s bad at sawing when you can add a saw to the hammer and have a hammer that’s bad at both! LOL

I gotta admit, I’d wouldn’t want to try and build a house with it.
But the point is that Carrara is certainly a Swiss army knife of graphics functions. It’s just missinig the blade that I need.

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 13 July 2012 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
de3an - 13 July 2012 08:02 PM

But the point is that Carrara is certainly a Swiss army knife of graphics functions. It’s just missinig the blade that I need.

You guys are just too funny…

You “need” the physics equivalent of a “make art” button, so that you don’t have to do any work at all. Just press a button and have your robots scurry around. Just cuz it’s fun.

Sure sounds like a feature request to me.

Posted: 13 July 2012 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4317
Joined  2006-08-27

Hmmm…. I just thought of another tool…  Corn cob extractor, for those hard to reach corn cobs.  rolleyes

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 13 July 2012 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  351
Joined  0
JoeMamma2000 - 13 July 2012 08:49 PM

You “need” the physics equivalent of a “make art” button, so that you don’t have to do any work at all. Just press a button and have your robots scurry around. Just cuz it’s fun.

Well… I guess there is one thing we can agree on. It would take a feature request to get the functionality that I’d like. And we all know how responsive DAZ is to feature requests.
I’d rather they fix the remaining bugs first.

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 14 July 2012 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
de3an - 13 July 2012 11:30 PM

Well… I guess there is one thing we can agree on..

Really? Just one? So all the input I gave you, you’re completely dismissing, and agree with none of it?

Wow. So can you give me some examples of the things I said that weren’t factual or true?

Posted: 14 July 2012 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2006-01-21
de3an - 13 July 2012 07:25 PM
JoeMamma2000 - 13 July 2012 06:48 PM

It’s a bit like complaining that your hammer is really weak when it comes to sawing wood.

But if all you had was a hammer and you needed to shorten a 2 by 4, you’d wish that hammers had sawblades hidden in the handle. LOL

I had one of those once but the end fell off.

Seriously though, what you are asking for is research level simulation stuff. Try googling robotics simulators and see how many university papers and experiments you need to read up on before you finally find some software designed for industrial use.

Yes, it might be possible to write an AI plugin to do this but, come on, who want’s to do that for Carrara?

Another possibiliy that you can consider is a using a game engine. You would still need to keyframe the walk cycle but you could then build a set of behaviour rules to be handled within the engine. I’ve never used the Blender game engine but it might do the job. How are your programming skills?

Signature 

http://roguepilot.deviantart.com/
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RoguePilot
http://www.ShareCG.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=RoguePilot

Posted: 14 July 2012 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4317
Joined  2006-08-27

Joe, I didn’t say you were wrong. I was responding to the sarcastic tone of the response below. Deny it all you want, but anytime anyone starts throwing around the “make art” button, there is a certain amount of implied derision. Try re-reading your statement from another perspective.

JoeMamma2000 - 13 July 2012 08:49 PM

See what I mean? Again, I’m not disagreeing with you. I also don’t think it’s practical, but then again I don’t see what all the fuss about Genesis is about either. That doesn’t mean I’m going to start throwing around sarcastic comments implying others are lazy, or being frivolous because they don’t want to work with V4 or M4 because it’s not shiny and new or, “just cuz it’s fun”.

Just relax dude, it’s only the internet.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 14 July 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
evilproducer - 14 July 2012 07:47 AM

Joe, I didn’t say you were wrong. I was responding to the sarcastic tone of the response below. .

I’m not sure what you’re responding to…

Far as I can tell your only input to this thread was you getting offended on behalf of the OP for some reason, and making a comment implying I had a corn cob stuck up my butt because I was poking fun at the OP’s feature request. I expected you’d take it personal, you did, I ignored it, and moved on.

Yes, I was poking fun at the OP’s suggestion. I didn’t attack him personally with anything like a comment about him having a corn cob stuck up his butt, I poked fun at his suggestion. And an objective person, when they realize the scope of what he’s suggesting, and understand the implications, as well as the reasons he cited (“just for fun”), an objective person would also step back and say “Oh, yeah, I guess it seemed like a nice idea, but really isn’t practical at all, and certainly isn’t something we’d want to suggest as a feature request”, and laugh it off. I wasn’t attacking him, or saying anything bad about him, I was merely poking fun at his suggestion and reasoning. And it was the equivalent of a “make art” button, don’t you agree? I’m sorry if that phrase upsets you personally, but honestly that’s not my problem. I think if you muster up all the objectivity you can I think you’ll actually agree with my comments. 

However, since objectivity is in real short supply here, people get upset, and their egos get bruised, and it becomes more about personalities than issues. And others who aren’t even involved in the discussion get offended on their behalf (which I’ll never quite understand…) and start attacking.

BTW, here’s a suggestion for an alternate way to respond when someone spends a lot of their time generating scenes, working on your problem to find a solution, making and uploading videos, and providing some well thought out input and explanations and facts regarding your issue:

“Hey, good point, I guess you’re right. Bad idea, sounded good at first glance, but I guess it just wouldn’t work out. Anyway, thanks for all your help, I sure appreciate it, and I learned a few things that I didn’t know before.”

See how easy that is?

Posted: 14 July 2012 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7142
Joined  2006-03-19

All right guys. Lets keep it civil.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D

2 of 2