Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
trees, trees, trees…..
Posted: 10 July 2012 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2003-11-09

i’ve been trying out the abaro program and it makes some really nice trees—unfortunately they’re really nice BIG trees with about a gazillion polys that take the better part of a week to render.

short of a new computer, are there any tricks to reducing the polys or somehow compressing the obj for some semi-decent render times in Bryce??

TIA.

:8

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

I haven’t used Bryce in years but I believe there is an instancing feature?

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 10 July 2012 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2005-09-28

Afraid not. Poly reduction isn’t in Bryce’s arsenal.

Bryce’s native tree lab is generally cheap on polys.

Signature 

Oroboros Presents… KEY-FLAME: Bryce Animation Tutorials

Posted: 11 July 2012 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-11-09

just thought i’d ask.. it makes trees so much better than the tree lab does!

8}

Signature 

Posted: 11 July 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7776
Joined  2009-05-14

Hexagon has a decimate functioin that works quite well which I have had to use before so I could load a prop into Bryce.  That should help reduce the poly count whist keeping its shape.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 11 July 2012 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15586
Joined  2003-10-09

You can play around with Bryce trees

Good looking Trees
On-line: http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/tuts/online/tut20/minitut20_en.html
PDF: http://www.horo.ch/raytracing/tuts/pdf/minitut20_en.pdf

I also like combining several trees to make one tree, as Bryce trees do render much easier than imported trees.

Image Attachments
tree_1f_finis.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 11 July 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2003-10-09

Just wondering if it might be the leaf texture that’s causing the excessive render times- do the leafs use any transparency? If it does try going into the Render Options and turn down the Maximum Ray Depth until you start getting artifacts. Getting it down from the default of 6 to 5 or 4 can make a big difference in render times.

If it’s all geometry, one other thing you might try is to load it into a modeler and remove all the polygons on what will be the “back” of the tree since that won’t be seen in the render anyway. This is a very old Bryce 4 image using this technique (TreePro trees btw) - if you look closely you can see the backs are gone but I was able to cut poly use by around 40%.

Image Attachments
dfly.jpg

Posted: 11 July 2012 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3452
Joined  2004-10-01

You should post more of your artwork, Dan. An excellent Bryce 4 render!

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 11 July 2012 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Love the Dragon fly, which one is that ?

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge

Posted: 11 July 2012 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  138
Joined  2003-10-09
Horo - 11 July 2012 01:40 PM

You should post more of your artwork, Dan. An excellent Bryce 4 render!

I agree. He reached a critical threshold with this one. ;- )

Posted: 11 July 2012 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-11-09

some really great ideas here… decimating in Hex and stripping out polys from the back are two things i *should* have thought of and didn’t—things i’ve done before in other situations….  i guess I just needed a group brain push….

@horo - if you’re still reading this, i noticed in your tute that you had an arboro tree in a scene—do you do anything special with them or just put up with the render times?

and yes, i did add some transparency to the leaves which would be contributing factor to the long render times….  (i didn not adjust the ray depth)

@cohole -  that’s a great idea about combining trees… that’s one of the problems i have the the tree lab, is that the trunks are genrally too narro for a mature tree, and if you keep running up the trunk size, you end up with logs for stems in the upper tree—looks like a ball of timbers.

thanks all for you input!

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2012 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3452
Joined  2004-10-01

Oh, I just experimented with different tree programs (Arbaro, Dryad, Ivy Generator, Plant Studio, Carrara, ...). Bryce trees are not bad, but could be improved (there was some improvement from 6.3 to 7.1: the typical Bryce bulge in the trunk is less obvious). The good thing about Bryce trees is that they are low poly count. I think the real vegatation guru visiting these forums is Rashad.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 12 July 2012 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-11-09

i would agree that Rashid is quite the greensman—but it seems that he’s not come across this topic yet…

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2012 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks so much for the comments on the image, it’s appreciated!

Chohole - I modeled the Dragonfly in FormZ. I never did post it because (at the time) it was much to big in size. I’ll try to dig it out (if I can find an Iomega USB disk drive, mine are all SCSI).

Posted: 13 July 2012 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
dan whiteside - 13 July 2012 06:14 AM

Thanks so much for the comments on the image, it’s appreciated!

Chohole - I modeled the Dragonfly in FormZ. I never did post it because (at the time) it was much to big in size. I’ll try to dig it out (if I can find an Iomega USB disk drive, mine are all SCSI).

Ye dogz, an Iomega disc drive. If that is the same as one I had back in the day, I left it behind when moving along with all the other stuff a charity was going to clear and sift through, as we were vastly downsizing when we moved.

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2012 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2008-03-28
hiker_1 - 10 July 2012 03:54 PM

i’ve been trying out the abaro program and it makes some really nice trees—unfortunately they’re really nice BIG trees with about a gazillion polys that take the better part of a week to render.

short of a new computer, are there any tricks to reducing the polys or somehow compressing the obj for some semi-decent render times in Bryce??

TIA.

Hello hiker_1

Really nice trees regardless of which program they are made in [Bryce can make some nice trees too but it is a bit of work to accomplish this] are always going to be BIG. The ONLY Home PC program i know off which can import and render a large conifer with 100 million polygons [all those needles] and render it to perfection with volumetric shadows [so-called “God Rays”] in less than an hour, is 64-bit Cinema4D with at least 8GB of RAM!!! [ http://www.maxon.net/de/downloads/demo-version.html ]

I would not recommend importing large trees into Bryce! Sorry! I have done it. I have loaded a nice large Tree from Carrara 6.1 just now. Well i managed to get it into Bryce, but it took a long time to import and it was a lot of messing around in Carrara to be able to make it and export it. See picture below. [85,826 K file size]. And that’s NOT really a “LARGE” tree in my experience!

But i suppose this tree, made in Carrara 6.1, looks nice but i have not had time to put Bryce materials on it [ but you can make something just as nice in Bryce - look at the vegetation work Rashad Carter has done in Bryce ].

I really would suggest you learn how to make nice Trees in Bryce. Compressing the mesh of an OBJ file Tree is a very complicated business [you can’t just decimate it]. You can do things in Lightwave3D or Cinema4D to that end. But either of those 2 programs is expensive to purchase.

Well i am sure you have lots of good advice.

Kind regards

Peter

Image Attachments
Untitled.jpg

1 of 2