Digital Art Zone

Importing XNALara models into Daz Studio?
Posted: 10 July 2012 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-07-06

Basically, I don’t even know where to start. Daz is the place where I have years of stuff from the Freepository. I’m much more used to posing characters in Daz as well. XNALara is new to me. I want to be able to import characters over from XNALara to Daz3D.

Or convert, I guess. I’m just not sure how to do it.

Posted: 10 July 2012 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3036
Joined  2004-04-14

In short, your looking to convert a game model for use in DAZ Studio?

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 11 July 2012 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2003-10-09

I’m assuming you already have XNALara installed and working. That program will let you export to .obj format. From there, you’d have to find a tutorial on how to get the character rigged for use in DAZ|Studio. There are plenty of those around here.

The other thing you could do is more involved but would probably give better results in the long run. Export the model from XNA to .mesh.ascii format, which can be imported into Blender with a plugin (do a web search for that). If everything worked out OK, you should get the mesh with an armature in Blender. The armature is probably useless as far as D|S is concerned, but within Blender you can prepare the mesh for export, i.e. changing tri’s to quads, making a UV map, etc. so that when you import it into D|S you’ll have an easier time getting it rigged and textured.