Digital Art Zone

8 of 8
All I ask is that Vendors Use The same folder name for each catagory on their products.
Posted: 16 July 2012 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2358
Joined  2011-11-16
Kendall Sears - 16 July 2012 05:40 AM

... a control interface…

Herein lies the problem, the control in this case refers to the person creating the interface. For anyone who had a VCR, think of how many had blinking 0:00 clocks because the ‘engineers’ couldn’t design a user friendly and consistent interface for something as simple as setting the clock. On top of this, if one has to go through a ‘control interface’ they are limited as to what that interface allows them, which often prevents addressing the real problem that some engineer through no fault of their own but through the limits of our ability to preconceive every possibility, didn’t design for. Add to that the push for getting things on the market that means they go out half baked and often never get fixed… not a scenario I want to be caught in.

In an open structure, We can write tools that can modify things without having to go through a specific application. If that appication is corrupt and won’t start, we can potentially fix the underlying structure, restart/reload the application and reinitialize it. The method DS uses for managing content is in my view correct. It follows more modern formats for dealing with the type of data it deals with (different then bank transactional data for instance where a more controlled database is necessary.) The solution lies, I believe, in external tools and better standards.

Personally, I wouldn’t change a line of code in DS itself, other than to expand the types of 3D content and other applications it can work with. The base program as I envision it would act like a hub for managing 3D content that could be used in a variety of environments, by a variety of tools, but would do this in an open flexible way.

All of this is of course an opinion, and by definition no better than anyone elses.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 16 July 2012 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2358
Joined  2011-11-16

The other related issue is that we only have finite resources to work with. If DS developers take on the task of trying to provide this ‘controlled interface’ it will eat up those resources at an unprecedented pace. I have seen this first hand as a major issue, possibly *the* major issue, in software development. If their resources are tied up there, they don’t have them available to maintain much less expand functionality of the product in an ever changing dynamic environment. The result typically is that the product becomes less relevant to the environment it exists in and dies.

Sometimes we need to let go of some of the control to become flexible enough to survive and grow. Let others join in, like the open source community aims for. Not necessarily going totally open source, but learning from the example of how keeping an open framework that others can ‘easily’ develop tools to play in our playground can vastly expand functionality for free essentially.

Btw, my opinions are © Gedd @ DAZ forums. If one wishes to quote them all or in part, please do so with attribution. They may not be great, but they are mine ;p

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 15 March 2015 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2015-02-20
fixmypcmike - 10 July 2012 04:15 PM
Gedd - 10 July 2012 04:00 PM
larsmidnatt - 10 July 2012 02:26 PM

You can’t move stuff in DS right?

Yes, you can move stuff and many of us do. However, there are rules as to what you can/can’t move, and they are a secret mystery only revealed under a full moon in the shadow of the crypt where Jim Morrison was buried. wink

Data, Runtime, and ReadMe’s are special folders in a DS-format content folder.  Outside of those folders, you can move DS-format content anywhere.

Hello, thanks to all whom have posted here on the subject, it’s been an interesting read for I too have been curious about my content folders and restructuring them for ease of accessibility but I wasn’t sure of what folders were safe to touch and which one’s are a no fly zone.

So the Data, Runtime, and ReadMe folders in the DS-format content folder, these i gather are the default install destinations and not to screw up any additional future installations, don’t move or rename anything in these right?...

...however, it is safe to move, rename, delete anything else in the folders outside of these?

Cheers

Posted: 15 March 2015 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  726
Joined  2003-10-09

You woke up a 3-year-old thread.

But it’s a topic that still needs discussion.  Seriously, characters, figures, people.  WTF?

The metadata should be based on a more clearly defined hierarchy.  Or a relational model.  Something needs to be done because today it’s a mess and it’s not working.

Consistent naming conventions need to be established and then made into industry standards.  And since DAZ Studio is the free option with a fairly large userbase, I would think that DAZ has one of the best chances of making it work.  I would say that 90% of technical problems are due to carelessly applied and not well thought out rules that end up becoming LEGACY standards with no real good reason for it.  What we have now is a standard of “None”.  Everybody has to modify their own metadata, rename their stuff so that it works for THEM, but no real standard ever develops.

Right now, half the world is stopping on green and going faster on red.  One third of us are making lunch on yellow.  This is not working.

Signature 

Windows 8.1 64 bit
64 GB DDR3, Lots of SSD and HDD,
Two Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 GPUs,
DS 4, 64 bit
Carrara Pro 8.5 64 bit
Blender 64 bit

I am opposed to sales with complicated rules

I am in favor of modernizing the Carrara UI
I am in favor of updating Bryce and Hexagon to 64 bit and providing bug fixes

DAZ, if you can’t update Bryce and Hex, then please consider making them open source for all!

Posted: 15 March 2015 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Joined  2015-02-20

Yeah I was a little reluctant to post anything since the subject was a relic, I only just recently installed the software and noticed in some of the video tutorials how nicely set out their folder structures were compared to my mess. Thinking surely they customized theirs, so why not do the same to mine… I’ll just leave them as is if it causes DAZ to throw a wobbly.

Cheers.

Posted: 16 March 2015 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1371
Joined  2003-10-09

If you are using Studio and installing with DIM (DAZ Install Manager) then it’s best not to change names of folders or move things around in case there’s an update. If things are moved/renamed DIM can’t know how to uninstall the old version and you could end up with a worse mess.

Before DIM I had everything organized the way I wanted it. After DIM it’s so easy to install and update, but I can’t find anything anymore. smile

Signature 

—————-
“Take off the space blanket, Chuck.”
If you recognize the quote, you’re enjoying the new show as much as I am. Yes, you’d Better Call Saul!

Posted: 16 March 2015 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10778
Joined  2007-11-06
Spit - 16 March 2015 09:04 PM

If you are using Studio and installing with DIM (DAZ Install Manager) then it’s best not to change names of folders or move things around in case there’s an update. If things are moved/renamed DIM can’t know how to uninstall the old version and you could end up with a worse mess.

Before DIM I had everything organized the way I wanted it. After DIM it’s so easy to install and update, but I can’t find anything anymore. smile

I used to rearrange/rename folders, but now I just use Categories for that and leave the files in place.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 16 March 2015 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Joined  2015-02-20

Thanks for the input guys, i’ve been grabbing some free stuff around the forums and I found they’re are just content unpacked within a folder with no installer exe and can’t be installed via the DIM, these are more or less the folders I am looking to rename and move to a custom folder so I can monitor them.

I wont even think of tampering with the DIM installed ones smile

For example, after importing the content into their respective parent folders, I’d like to move them from there to a customized folder labelled “## Imp Ext ##”

In other words, from this…

C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Character\Snoopy\TheDawgyDawg

... to this…

C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Libraries\Character\## Imp Ext ##\Snoopy\TheDawgyDawg

Cheers.

Posted: 17 March 2015 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1371
Joined  2003-10-09

Yeah, that’s fine. smile

I do that with freebies and stuff from other sources too.

Signature 

—————-
“Take off the space blanket, Chuck.”
If you recognize the quote, you’re enjoying the new show as much as I am. Yes, you’d Better Call Saul!

8 of 8