Digital Art Zone

1 of 8
All I ask is that Vendors Use The same folder name for each catagory on their products.
Posted: 10 July 2012 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3532
Joined  2009-08-05

Hooray. Got a new product. Its called X under character, Y under pose, and Z under Props. WTF man. Wouldnt it make sense to keep the names the same? So if I load a character prop, I know what it is called, and if I go to POSE for a texture or pose I know it is listed under the exact same name. Same thing with Camera’s, materials and lights. I load a scene, and for the life of me do not know under what freaking name the pose, or lights was put under. Some go under vendor names, some with a !! infront. I rename all my stuff now before It goes into my runtimes, but for all my older content it is still a mess. Also why put MAT infront of a texture set? Now although the product is called X, I must cycle under the letter M to find the textures for it. If the character is called Jane, under pose make the folder called Jane, if there is props for it make that folder called Jane. Rather make sub folders in there but keep the master folder the same name. There are one or two smart vendors that do this, and to them I give a thumbs up. I’m just venting because I do not understand the logic of such messy file naming.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17

Buy items with Metadata, and you can use “Smart Content” to find related content.  Simple as that.

Choose to use the “Poser” runtime structure and you’re choosing what you describe.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  922
Joined  2005-11-06

I agree with Zevo, very frustrating! Some, like myself do not want metadata

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
FSMCDesigns - 10 July 2012 11:07 AM

As I said, it’s a choice.  You choose to fight the frustration, or not.  Metadata is *one* way to solve that problem.  Another is to ditch the ridiculous Poser legacy completely.

The vendors aren’t going to change their workflows, so the “varied directory names” are here to stay.  So, that leaves Metadata (both DS and Poser use it BTW) to remedy the problem.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2303
Joined  2010-12-18

Yeah its bad. For all my non-genesis stuff I put in forlders the way I want. I got rid of MAT from the front of all the folders and sorted things the way I thought made sense.

I don’t mess with the daz specific content yet, not sure what will break something. I know I’m safe renaming and organizing the Poser libraries structure though.

Doesn’t help you any, but I guess I am just saying I related. I don’t think the crazy folder naming practice will ever change. Because I’m sure it’s done for good reason wink

I know in the pose folder sometimes there is actually a pose, and other times its the materials so they put MAT in front to separate from poses. Thats not always the case though. It may be because they think you will always go t the MAT section to find mats.

I had to split my POSE director into Hair, Pose, Props etc so I wouldn’t get lost when scrolling endlessly. It’ helped a lot.

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1501
Joined  2006-07-04

Rename the folders into something that will help you remember what’s in there. smile  It’s only a problem if you need to uninstall or re-install. smile

That said, I find it annoying too…. and I use Smart Content (though I’m still way behind in organizing my folders, because even the metadata categories aren’t usually set up the way I want.)

Signature 

DAZ Gallery * * *DA Gallery

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05

I don’t just work in Daz.. Also I hate metadata. For me its easier finding what I want by doing a search in the content Library tab. Still, thats no excuse for confusing folder filenaming. But like I said, I’m just venting:)

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Kendall Sears - 10 July 2012 11:11 AM

Metadata is *one* way to solve that problem.  Another is to ditch the ridiculous Poser legacy completely.

Kendall

Metadata is a pain of its own. It’s not consistent and it is a separate system all together. It is not the end all by any stretch of the imagination. I know there are the meta-data Evangelist, but in reality it does not work for everyone. Trying to add metadata to your own content is such a large time investment it is really much faster to simply manage folders.

Metadata is nice and fancy but not what it is sold to be. I do agree the poser system is ridiculous but you can’t ditch something that has so much content. I agree the OP is asking for something that will never happen.

Long story short; metadata is overrated and the legacy system is dated.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Zev0 - 10 July 2012 11:14 AM

I don’t just work in Daz.. Also I hate metadata. For me its easier finding what I want by doing a search in the content Library tab. Still, thats no excuse for confusing folder filenaming. But like I said, I’m just venting:)

And this is one area I do think metadata would be most useful, search. When I search for items I know I have I hate it when a pair of pants don’t show up because they are named BOTTOMS. With metadata that can be fixed but ultimately metadata is about a lot more than just search keywords…

I would do a lot less browsing if I could use search more reliably but realistically I know there is nothing I can do about it.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05

Oh it can happen if sites put that in the rules of product uploading, But its just me complaining. It doesn’t seem to bother other users otherwise it would have been enforced a long time ago.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  922
Joined  2005-11-06

As I said, it’s a choice.  You choose to fight the frustration, or not.  Metadata is *one* way to solve that problem.  Another is to ditch the ridiculous Poser legacy completely.

The vendors aren’t going to change their workflows, so the “varied directory names” are here to stay.  So, that leaves Metadata (both DS and Poser use it BTW) to remedy the problem.

Kendall

See, that is the thing, i don’t view the poser runtime file structure as wrong or ridiculous, it is what i have used for years and what works for me in poser and with DS4, so I see no reason to change from it. I have 80+ gig of content in this format, have no desire to change that to a new file structure.
I like DS4 and have become a DS user (as well as poser, vue, carrara, etc) despite trying DS several times in the past and not getting the UI, I have also tried to get a grip on the DS file structure which is installed in the default location, BUT if vendors want to change things up because they have metadata to fix it for them, then I take issue with that. When I open DS4 It seems that the more DS specific content I purchase and install, the more jumbled the DS content area of my content tab gets and I have to go in and fix it, where as my poser content is where I expect it to be in most cases.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Zev0 - 10 July 2012 11:21 AM

Oh it can happen if sites put that in the rules of product uploading, But its just me complaining. It doesn’t seem to bother other users otherwise it would have been enforced a long time ago.

Rules cost money to implement though. And even then it would be like metadata where it still can be inconsistent as hell.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
larsmidnatt - 10 July 2012 11:16 AM

Metadata is *one* way to solve that problem.  Another is to ditch the ridiculous Poser legacy completely.

Kendall

Metadata is a pain of its own. It’s not consistent and it is a separate system all together. It is not the end all by any stretch of the imagination. I know there are the meta-data Evangelist, but in reality it does not work for everyone. Trying to add metadata to your own content is such a large time investment it is really much faster to simply manage folders.

Metadata is nice and fancy but not what it is sold to be. I do agree the poser system is ridiculous but you can’t ditch something that has so much content. I agree the OP is asking for something that will never happen.

Long story short; metadata is overrated and the legacy system is dated.

Metadata isn’t a complete fix.  By definition it was a workaround for a bad foundation.  However, the ONLY way to relate one piece to another is with metadata of some sort.  DAZ uses one type of JSON Metadata, Poser uses an XML metadata.

If I had my druthers, DS would store EVERYTHING in the CMS and the Runtime would go away.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
FSMCDesigns - 10 July 2012 11:36 AM

Kendall

See, that is the thing, i don’t view the poser runtime file structure as wrong or ridiculous, it is what i have used for years and what works for me in poser and with DS4, so I see no reason to change from it. I have 80+ gig of content in this format, have no desire to change that to a new file structure.
I like DS4 and have become a DS user (as well as poser, vue, carrara, etc) despite trying DS several times in the past and not getting the UI, I have also tried to get a grip on the DS file structure which is installed in the default location, BUT if vendors want to change things up because they have metadata to fix it for them, then I take issue with that. When I open DS4 It seems that the more DS specific content I purchase and install, the more jumbled the DS content area of my content tab gets and I have to go in and fix it, where as my poser content is where I expect it to be in most cases.

The poser runtime structure was a mistake and it was recognized fairly early on.  Unfortunately, certain things within Poser relied on this structure, and workarounds proliferated until SM decided to drop the reliance on it.  The way it should have been done was one folder for each “product” and all support files for that product went in that folder.  SHOULDA, COULDA, WOULDA.

Under the right environment though, this can actually happen.  And I have exactly that. tongue laugh

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3036
Joined  2004-04-14

Folder organization has been an ongoing issue for well over 10 years.  Everyone has different ideas about how it should be organized and as such should organize their content as they see fit.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 10 July 2012 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

Right Click, in DS and Rename. Folder, item, what not, nevermind….

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

1 of 8