2 of 3
PC vs Mac
Posted: 10 July 2012 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18
Zev0 - 10 July 2012 11:29 AM

Lol you only had two to begin with:) whatever way you go enjoy the new rig.smile

What about WebOS?

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 10 July 2012 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3317
Joined  2009-08-05

The op was asking what rig to get. IE either pc or mac as far as I understand.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 10 July 2012 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Zev0 - 10 July 2012 12:11 PM

The op was asking what rig to get. IE either pc or mac as far as I understand.

Was teasing.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05

lol I suck at getting jokes:(

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 10 July 2012 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Zev0 - 10 July 2012 12:59 PM

lol I suck at getting jokes:(

Pretty sure it’s my bad for failing at humor :(

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05

lol I think its because I have no idea what webOS is:)

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 10 July 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5343
Joined  2005-08-29
Zev0 - 10 July 2012 01:22 PM

lol I think its because I have no idea what webOS is:)

Was, I think HP killed it (they bought it from Palm) last month.

On the PC/Mac discussion I can say that I use Macs, but sometimes you see plugins or extra programs that are Windows only, but as many stated here, a PC with the same parts and specs are as expensive as as Mac Pro. I usually use a classic car metaphore. You can get a cheap Asian hatchback in corrugated plate with wooden seats much cheaper than a BMW, and it’s as fast as the BMW as wells long as it stays on the road at that speed, but you lack the comfort and the quality of the BMW.

Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 10 July 2012 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2003-10-09

I have a Mac laptop that’s been operational and issue-free for over seven years. True, it cant go anywhere now in terms of the system hardware, but I still use it for lower end work. I fully expect the same performance out of the MacBook Pro I now own.

Yes, you pay more, but you get to keep it for a longer time.

Posted: 10 July 2012 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  288
Joined  2012-02-21

Non technical, but if this is important for you…

Apple withdraws all products from EPEAT environmental ratings
http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/apple-withdraws-all-products-from-epeat-environmental-ratings-2012079/

Posted: 10 July 2012 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1667
Joined  2008-05-31
Zev0 - 10 July 2012 09:46 AM

I use PC with win7 64 and Mac OS10. For Hardware - Go PC. CHEAPER to upgrade. All that makes a mac is the OS. And that you can get for PC.

You can run OS10 on a PC? Can you also develop Mac programs on it?

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 10 July 2012 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06

One thing I’ll toss in that my niece encountered recently.  Whenever I get a PC laptop serviced under warranty, I pull the hard drive first.  Pulling the hard drive from a Mac invalidates the warranty.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 10 July 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13662
Joined  2003-10-09
Taozen - 10 July 2012 03:39 PM

I use PC with win7 64 and Mac OS10. For Hardware - Go PC. CHEAPER to upgrade. All that makes a mac is the OS. And that you can get for PC.

It is possible to run the version before Lion, if you can still find a copy, on some non-Apple hardware. But it’s fiddly to set up - I did look into it and rather took fright. As far as I know all tools, including coding, are available though of course you’d be hard put to know whether a problem was inherent in your code or down to the “Hackintosh”‘s limitations.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 10 July 2012 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Real artists use Mac! hmm, wait… I’m using a pc. Well my monitor is a Mac, and um… I have a Mac webserver… welll…

j/k wink

Real artists use whatever tool works for them ofc. What you might want to ask yourself is, how technically oriented are you, and how much time do you want to spend maintaining your system. The Mac as pointed out has a better user interface, is in general more solid and requires less effort on the part of the user. The PC is more flexible with other programs you might want to use, add-on hardware, and one other thing… if you do have a question about something, since more people use PCs you are more likely to get a quicker answer to how exactly to do something. But that does come at the price of having a less stable system in general then a Mac (for various reasons I won’t go into.) As for price of the system, Macs have a pretty stable price point for what you get whereas PCs prices go all over the map. One can get much more power for less money on a PC *but they can also get ripped off easily and get much less.* The PC market is *not* at all related to you get what you pay for, rather you get what you’re knowledge will get you. The Mac market on the other hand charges a premium (yes still, compared to what I can build as a knowledgeable builder.) for ease of use, stability, good UI. For many people, the Mac ends up being a much better deal because this all equates to how much something *really* costs you. Remember, when the system isn’t working, it’s still degrading in value and one is left sitting on their hands.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 10 July 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1667
Joined  2008-05-31
Richard Haseltine - 10 July 2012 04:00 PM
Taozen - 10 July 2012 03:39 PM

It is possible to run the version before Lion, if you can still find a copy, on some non-Apple hardware. But it’s fiddly to set up - I did look into it and rather took fright. As far as I know all tools, including coding, are available though of course you’d be hard put to know whether a problem was inherent in your code or down to the “Hackintosh”‘s limitations.

OK, thanks. Doesn’t sound like a good solution, better to get a Mac then I guess…

Signature 
Tools for the DAZ store

Posted: 10 July 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  466
Joined  2010-12-13

If you ever intend to use Bryce, get a PC. Bryce does not work with the latest Mac OSX releases (Lion or later) and there is no ETA on getting that situation fixed. hmmm

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit will make use of up to 16GB of Ram. If you have a system with more than one physical cpu (never mind how many cores), then you do need Win 7 Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate. Ultimate is not a bad way to go, but why spend more if you are not going to go beyond 16GB, or more than one cpu? At the high end, there are Engineering Workstations that go way beyond what a Mac Pro offers, but these machines can run from $5-10K at the low end to well over $100K.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778#physical_memory_limits_windows_7
Edit: Oh, and go with a tower. I would never do serious rendering on a laptop. Once you get beyond the basics and want to do real cpu and memory intensive renders, you need the power and expandability of a tower. That is, unless you own stock in Alienware. tongue laugh

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery
Old post count 1725 (seems lame compared to some)

2 of 3