Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
PC vs Mac
Posted: 10 July 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-09-29

I am upgrading to a new computer and have done tons of research, but I’m still undecided. So I wanted to ask other daz users your opinion. I have looked at both PC and Mac. I have always been a PC user, but now that my renders are more complex I wonder about going with a Mac. Also should I go with a laptop or a tower? What do you all think?

Posted: 10 July 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2005-10-16

I like Mac but I will give you my opinion:
PC - Less compatibility issues especially dealing with Studio
Tower - More cost effective, i.e. you pay more for a laptop with the same specs as a desktop. Screen size as well, most laptops allow for connecting to a separate screen but then what is the point between that and the desktop.

*Also depending on how you feel about upgrading, towers are a lot easier to upgrade than a laptop. Laptops are limited in what can be upgraded.

Signature 

Gone.

Posted: 10 July 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-16

Also, complex render.
Graphics card = Choppy viewport when you load up things / move camera to pose, a better graphics card can help with that.
Processor Cores number/speed + RAM = Faster renders, handles more complex scenes

Signature 

Gone.

Posted: 10 July 2012 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-16

For a screaming fast computer at just a little extra…buy two drives.
One SSD that is big enough to fit the OS on.
A second standard hard drive that is 1TB or more to install all programs and such on.

With your OS on the SSD, the boot process and windows functions will be screaming fast.

Signature 

Gone.

Posted: 10 July 2012 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2011-05-07

This is a more emotional response from a Mac user: I just bought a new
iMac this weekend and had it up and running with Studio 4 in ten minutes.
So far I have had no problems. As a computer illiterate that is what I want.

The only reason I would consider a PC is the compatibility issues
mentioned. There are a few useful plug-ins (?) that are PC-exclusive.
And I also agree with previous poster regarding laptop vs desktop.

Posted: 10 July 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-16

Oh and one other thing I forgot to add…
If you choose windows, you will want to get the 64bit version, preferably WIN7 Ultimate. Allows for more RAM and 64bit software that can access that RAM.

Signature 

Gone.

Posted: 10 July 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  271
Joined  2005-08-20
jmper - 10 July 2012 08:35 AM

I like Mac but I will give you my opinion:
PC - Less compatibility issues especially dealing with Studio

PC - More compatibility issues due to far larger hardware variety and prevalence of low-end semi-compatible hardware elements hidden somewhere in the system dragging the whole thing down.

jmper - 10 July 2012 08:35 AM

Tower - More cost effective, i.e. you pay more for a laptop with the same specs as a desktop

Mac Tower - More bang for the buck but higher outlay even for the lowest end one.

Signature 

*Sigh* Window->Tabs->Tool Settings->Draw Style->Manipulation: Off
Yeah. It’s like that.

Posted: 10 July 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18

I use PC and Mac but I will tell you something. A mac will not be superior to a PC, it can be equal to it but cost you more to get there. I say this only because you say “my scenes are more complex so I was thinking about MAC”. Not necessary. A better PC will do fine.

I’m not going to fuel the MAC PC war, like I said I use both. But being practical, if you use a PC now then it will be a smoother transition. Be sure to get 64bit OS though.

If you wanted to go mac for other reasons than take the jump smile

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 10 July 2012 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3460
Joined  2009-08-05

I use PC with win7 64 and Mac OS10. For Hardware - Go PC. CHEAPER to upgrade. All that makes a mac is the OS. And that you can get for PC.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 10 July 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  628
Joined  2004-12-14
larsmidnatt - 10 July 2012 09:17 AM

I use PC and Mac but I will tell you something. A mac will not be superior to a PC, it can be equal to it but cost you more to get there. I say this only because you say “my scenes are more complex so I was thinking about MAC”. Not necessary. A better PC will do fine.

I’m not going to fuel the MAC PC war, like I said I use both. But being practical, if you use a PC now then it will be a smoother transition. Be sure to get 64bit OS though.

If you wanted to go mac for other reasons than take the jump :)

As someone who owns both a Mac Workstation (MacPro 1st Gen) and a PC Workstation (Dell Precision 690 from 2007) - I have to disagree with you here.  The Mac was a little more expensive (about $100), but is a lot easier to maintain and you can easily get 5-6 years out of it.  The Mac tends to be a “fire and forget” solution.  You don’t have to deal with “Patch Tuesday”, driver issues, antivirus issues, etc.  Looking at TCO, the Mac is a no-brainer.

If you are working complex scenes and needing more than a couple GB of memory, the MacPro is the way to go.  Ram maxes out at 128Gb, you can put 5 hard drives in stock & up to 10 Hds with some aftermarket items.  With up to 24 virtual CPU’s rendering times will be limited to the software.

Rendering is bottlenecked by the amount of ram and cpu cycles you can throw at it.  This is where the MacPro leads the way.

Signature 

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored” - Aldous Huxley

Posted: 10 July 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-09-29
jmper - 10 July 2012 08:44 AM

For a screaming fast computer at just a little extra…buy two drives.
One SSD that is big enough to fit the OS on.
A second standard hard drive that is 1TB or more to install all programs and such on.

With your OS on the SSD, the boot process and windows functions will be screaming fast.

I have considered a two drive system. I currently have a HP touchsmart 64 bit.  I love it, its just too small now. I have far too much content loaded. What is the OS acronym stand for? There is some stuff I’m still learning. oops, brain cramp OS stands for operating system. I’m assuming I will need a tower to do this.

Posted: 10 July 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2006-02-17

As someone with hardware from all over the spectrum here’s my 2 cents.

Hardware wise the PC and Mac are now equivalent.  To get a PC to the same equipment level/quality as what is in a Mac, the prices will be equivalent.  I’m not talking about the NewEgg, Tigerdirect clearance of the last cheap Videocard etc, but *EQUIVALENT* quality.

Since Apple went Intel, internally the Mac is simply a PC with higher quality parts and a firmware restriction.  The biggest difference is in the OS.

MacOS is a Posix OS: meaning that it has all of the stability and security inherent to Posix.  It also inherits some of the user unfriendlyness of Posix.  In order for Apple to compensate for this they had to make some compromises.  And of course, Apple is Apple and you’ll compute their way, on their terms.

Windows is Windows.  It has no security worth mentioning, but allows for more access to the hardware for applications than does MacOS.  I leave the question of stability to common sense.  Depending on the necessary support software (firewall, virus, drivers, etc) performance will vary.

Now, which is better for you?  Only you can answer that.  Do you worry about Viruses a lot?  MacOS is better.  Do you want to customize your system your way?  Windows is better.

Want to get the best of both?  Go Linux.  (just kidding, Linux is no panacea)

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  343
Joined  2005-05-06

I would suggest to go for a Mac. This is not a matter of comparing hardware, that is not the whole story, in fact it’s not even half of the story.

Mac OS is a system designed for the artisticly-inclined person. The way it works, the way it feels is less about technical matters and more about the natural interaction of human-with-computer. This is not a statement against Windows, Windows has been traditionally a technical OS, Mac OS is a art-oriented OS. That is why so many people in artistic fields, form painting to movie editing and everything in between, use Macs a lot.

It’s hard to describe, it’s a feeling, a way it fits in the artist’s mind. It’s not about specs and Ghz.

At the hardware level Mac use top notch components and are engineered to high levels of excellence. I switched to the Mac in 2004 and I owned, since then, 3 MacBookPros, and eMac, and my current machine, a MacPro 8-core tower system. Loved them all, loved the way they don’t get in the way of what I do, which is what a computer should do, IMHO. If I have to setup a network server I do need to get my hands dirty. For my everyday work, I want a machine that fits right and allows me to work my 3D art and code in a natural way. The combination of Mac and Mac OS is what I believe is the natural choice for anybody involved in art.

All the best.

Signature 

Paolo/Pret-a-3D
Reality for DAZ Studio
http://pinterest.com/preta3d/boards/
http://www.facebook.com/RealityPlugIn
http://twitter.com/preta3d
https://plus.google.com/106625816153304163119

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  878
Joined  2005-11-06
larsmidnatt - 10 July 2012 09:17 AM

If you wanted to go mac for other reasons than take the jump smile

Having used both myself, this and what Kendall Sears said is pretty much my experience. It comes down to personal choice, not one being better than the other. Get what you can afford and what works for you.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-09-29

I appreciate everyones opinion that posted. I has helped me narrow down my options..  Thanks!!

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3460
Joined  2009-08-05

Lol you only had two to begin with:) whatever way you go enjoy the new rig.smile

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

1 of 3