Digital Art Zone

45 of 100
Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!
Posted: 30 November 2012 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 661 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1422
Joined  2010-03-01
banditcameraman - 30 November 2012 06:33 PM

Hi Alessandro cheese

You mention RenderMan a few times; is that RenderMan Studio or the Maya RenderMan plug-in, both from Pixar?  Great products from the looks of things but very pricey ohh

I hope it’s ok to ask red face

bandit,
AA is talking about the standard not applications. Renderman in this context is referring to the fact that 3Delight, DAZ Studio’s render engine, is capable of initiating the features of the standard, Renderman. I know it can be confusing. PIXAR and Maya use the word loosly but for our purposes AA is calling functions that 3Delight knows how to computate and create the appropriate result in a render. If you go to the 3Delight website, http://www.3delight.com/en/index.php you can read all about how it is compliant to the Renderman spec..

Posted: 01 December 2012 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 662 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1341
Joined  2009-10-27
banditcameraman - 30 November 2012 06:33 PM

Hi Alessandro cheese

You mention RenderMan a few times; is that RenderMan Studio or the Maya RenderMan plug-in, both from Pixar?  Great products from the looks of things but very pricey ohh

I hope it’s ok to ask red face

Hey of course you can ask whatever you like. I’ll be glad to answer anything I can.
DAZ Studio supports RenderMan primitives (and the whole RenderMan API’s) and uses the 3Delight render engine, which is a RenderMan compliant renderer. So, you do not need to buy any additional plugin or software: you just create the hair in LAMH, export those to Studio as RenderMan objects and render. Done.

Tell me if I could explain myself properly on this.

Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 01 December 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 663 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27

Here it comes the black, rampant fury, with a lion-like mane…

Image Attachments
rampant_fury.jpg
 Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 01 December 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 664 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2303
Joined  2010-12-18

that looks cool

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 01 December 2012 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 665 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4727
Joined  2004-08-11

Horse 2?  This is the way the mane, forelock and tail SHOULD look.  What came with such a nice new model is horrid!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

DAZ Studio 4 Frequently Asked Questions

Posted: 01 December 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 666 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4806
Joined  2011-10-04
RAMWolff - 01 December 2012 01:09 PM

Horse 2?  This is the way the mane, forelock and tail SHOULD look.  What came with such a nice new model is horrid!

Considering how the new horse doesn’t have perma-mane and tail, I think people can make their own manes more easily. I mean, there are no braided manes or bound manes or bobbed tails around yet… but soon.

Signature 

Remembering Jaderail. Rest, my friend.
My DeviantArt page.
My DAZ Studio 4 freebies.
My ramblings/blog

Posted: 01 December 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 667 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  384
Joined  2005-08-23
Skiriki - 01 December 2012 01:14 PM
RAMWolff - 01 December 2012 01:09 PM

Considering how the new horse doesn’t have perma-mane and tail, I think people can make their own manes more easily. I mean, there are no braided manes or bound manes or bobbed tails around yet… but soon.

The only redemption for the new horse’s stone age tech mane and tail is that they’re not permanently attached so that PA’s will hopefully bring us better alternatives soon…

Signature 

My RuntimeDNA Store
My Renderosity Gallery
My deviantArt Gallery

Posted: 02 December 2012 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 668 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27

I’m preparing some presets for the Mil Big Cats, and I’d like if somebody could help me out to understand what’s latest revision of this product.
I bought this years ago, when the galaxy was young, with an account I don’t have data anymore.
I have the Big Mil Cats SR1, and before proceeding I’d like to know if that’s the latest version, because from the initial one to the SR1 geometry has changed.
Just for reference, the SR1 blMilBigCat.obj file has 44890 faces and 45866 vertices. Thanks

Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 02 December 2012 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 669 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2737
Joined  2003-12-06
Alessandro_AM - 02 December 2012 04:15 PM

I have the Big Mil Cats SR1, and before proceeding I’d like to know if that’s the latest version,

Yes, that’s the latest.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how LaMH deals with the big kitties, I’ve never been able to get them to look quite right without proper D|S presets.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 02 December 2012 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 670 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1785
Joined  2009-08-08

Presets for the MilBigCats sounds splendid.

To be sold separately as addons to the plug-in? I suspect that people will happily pay for furred versions of the animals they’ve got.

Posted: 02 December 2012 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 671 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-09-15
JOdel - 02 December 2012 06:31 PM

Presets for the MilBigCats sounds splendid.

To be sold separately as addons to the plug-in? I suspect that people will happily pay for furred versions of the animals they’ve got.

Hey!! Quit giving him ideas. Were not all rich like you. smile (Just kidding)

Signature 

_______
Sarge

Posted: 02 December 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 672 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

Jade reads, Jade grins, Jade goes dancing in the streets. I’m one happy Drow.

Now if only this Mayan thing was as easy to read between the lines as those last few posts…. 12/21/12.

Naw, I like LAMH and happy happy joy joy better. If they were so darn good they would have SEEN their own end, not ours. LOL

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 02 December 2012 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 673 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16

Guessing people would like a Ferret coat for the Meerkat in the shop, re: the Thread here. They are pretty cute, and I’m guessing could be good draw if it came out well smile

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 03 December 2012 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 674 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27

I’d like to provide some initial presets for free, especially for Genesis. I yet have to decide but I’m tending to make available for free also the Mil Big Cat/Dog/Horse2 presets, so that anybody can already be immediately at a play.

Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 03 December 2012 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 675 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27

Example of hair exported and rendered as .obj geometry in Studio.

I’ve never had much time to spend with Lux/Reality, but as you all know LAMH can export hair also to .obj and, very important, produce also the needed textures for those.
Here attached is a very simple hair model (as you can see I didn’t bother using density maps, and so the hair contour line at the roots is way too neat, the shape is quite basic), but it’s just to show that exporting to obj’s works well.
In this example, 120000 hair (each of 16 polygons, you do the math). The two obj’s total a size of 220MB: I assume a 64bit system is necessary to deal with such large geometry (even if LAMH offers the possibility to squeeze and reduce geometry complexity upon exporting).

This is rendered in Studio, plain plastic shader, mid settings, Lantios Lights, 4:34 seconds.

I asked a friend to try and render this in Lux, to see how different should get. I guess the result will be even better…

Image Attachments
obj_genesis_hair_thinner_render.jpg
 Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

45 of 100