Digital Art Zone

41 of 100
Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!
Posted: 12 November 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 601 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2003-10-09

Hello,
I am interested in the export feature you mention. I do my rendering in Vue10. Once I have the hair finalized on my figure, and I export the figure as an OBJ for importing into Vue, would the hair come along with the figure? Would I lose anything in the appearance of the hair with the exporting?
I am really anticipating this product!
Thank you

Posted: 12 November 2012 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 602 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1241
Joined  2009-10-27
jthicks - 12 November 2012 08:23 AM

Hello,
I am interested in the export feature you mention. I do my rendering in Vue10. Once I have the hair finalized on my figure, and I export the figure as an OBJ for importing into Vue, would the hair come along with the figure? Would I lose anything in the appearance of the hair with the exporting?
I am really anticipating this product!
Thank you

Yes exactly, the figure and the hair will be both exported with the necessary textures as well. The hair quality for the exported .obj will depend on the number of polygons chosen: to make an example, if you need to model long hair, you better plan the project with a higher number of vertices per hair, so that the resulting .obj will have a higher definition. In case of short fur/hair, a lower number of vertices will do just fine.
To add to the above, if the renderer or the application you’re going to use the exported hair with is capable of subdividing the mesh and you enable it, that will allow to increase the quality of the mesh itself, allowing to have more “curved” surfaces. If you used Reality/Lux you know what I mean; I don’t recall if Vue actually does it (but I’d be surprised if it didn’t).
Here attached a couple of renders done in Vue by one of the testers, with some dinos covered with short fur.

Image Attachments
286061_431326710248175_1429525986_o.jpg174929_431326606914852_48711021_o.jpg
 Signature 

Real Plants Collection 1: Fallen Trees, Ivy and Vines”
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 12 November 2012 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 603 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7520
Joined  2009-05-14

Vue has a Dynamic subdivision and smoothing function when you right click on the object and choose Edit Object. Just thought I would mention it just in case. smile

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 12 November 2012 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 604 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1770
Joined  2005-04-15
Alessandro_AM - 12 November 2012 04:57 PM

Here attached a couple of renders done in Vue by one of the testers, with some dinos covered with short fur.

Heh.  The first time I looked at this, for a second I thought the T-Rexallosaurusy thing was holding a giant fork.  At long last those tiny little hands made sense…

And by the way, the wait for this is KILLING me!

Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 12 November 2012 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 605 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2008-10-19

OOOOooooo the wait has been long .......but I have a feeling it’ll be so worth it!!!

Posted: 13 November 2012 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 606 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27
Szark - 12 November 2012 06:16 PM

Vue has a Dynamic subdivision and smoothing function when you right click on the object and choose Edit Object. Just thought I would mention it just in case. smile

Thank you for the clarification smile
OK so that would just do the job: in LAMH you may choose the complexity of the .obj (i.e. the number of vertices per hair), so that also using, say 5 vertices (which would produce a hair made of 4 quads) would probably be satisfactory since Vue Dynamic subdivision and smoothing will do the rest of the job.

Signature 

Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 13 November 2012 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 607 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7520
Joined  2009-05-14

No problem…...can’t wait to try it myself to be honest.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 13 November 2012 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 608 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  188
Joined  2005-10-18

Hey Alessandro,

Glad to hear that you are feeling better and I am REALLY looking forward to the release of LAMH. 

I am positively itching with anticipation.

Cheers,

SK.

Posted: 17 November 2012 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 609 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2008-10-19

Well things have been too quiet .......AA how everything going? how are you feeling?? Okay I hope.

Posted: 18 November 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 610 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27

Everything OK Carrie, thanks very much for asking. I’m completing what will probably be last (or one of the latest) beta releases.
There will be a number of new features in it that have not been disclosed yet (not even to testers), and I’ll make the possible to finally release Look at my Hair very soon. Also have to prepare the final version of the manual, and all the video tutorials.

There are a number of ideas about new features and improvements that I’ll be going to add after the initial version will be released. After all development has been undergoing for many months (almost 10) and I believe it’s time that all the folks can finally start playing and enjoy with Look at my Hair.

So stay tuned for incoming news…

Signature 

Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 18 November 2012 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 611 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4566
Joined  2004-07-01
Alessandro_AM - 18 November 2012 04:46 PM

Everything OK Carrie, thanks very much for asking. I’m completing what will probably be last (or one of the latest) beta releases.
There will be a number of new features in it that have not been disclosed yet (not even to testers), and I’ll make the possible to finally release Look at my Hair very soon. Also have to prepare the final version of the manual, and all the video tutorials.

There are a number of ideas about new features and improvements that I’ll be going to add after the initial version will be released. After all development has been undergoing to many months (almost 10) and I believe it’s time that all the folks can finally start playing and enjoy with Look at my Hair.

waiting to see grin

Posted: 18 November 2012 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 612 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27
bigh - 18 November 2012 04:49 PM
Alessandro_AM - 18 November 2012 04:46 PM

There are a number of ideas about new features and improvements that I’ll be going to add after the initial version will be released. After all development has been undergoing to many months (almost 10) and I believe it’s time that all the folks can finally start playing and enjoy with Look at my Hair.

waiting to see grin

Thanks bigh: this time I’ll try to put more efforts than I did with INFINITO documentation, and will be careful to produce enough video tutorials and a decent manual so that both of them should suffice to help users.

Signature 

Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 18 November 2012 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 613 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4404
Joined  2004-08-11

Glad your doing well Sir. 

Question… if someone where to export a lower geom hair figure for Genesis but then add in SubD and Smoothing afterwards for more high resolution and smoothed out look will that create a lighter file that will render faster?  Or are SubD and Smoothing not recommended??

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 18 November 2012 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 614 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27
RAMWolff - 18 November 2012 05:01 PM

Glad your doing well Sir. 

Question… if someone where to export a lower geom hair figure for Genesis but then add in SubD and Smoothing afterwards for more high resolution and smoothed out look will that create a lighter file that will render faster?  Or are SubD and Smoothing not recommended??

Well, if you export an .obj out of LAMH, made of say 40000 polygons (quads, to be more precise), if can of course enable subdivision in Studio (or Vue, Reality, or else), and Smoothing as well. Those techniques usually subdivide a quad into 4 quads (or even more, according to the level of subdivision chosen) often at render time, so that there is no performance impact on the GUI.
Definitely something to try and use, so to answer shortly, SubD and Smoothing are actually recommended, especially on 64bit systems which will have no problems to mangle large data.

Signature 

Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 18 November 2012 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 615 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4404
Joined  2004-08-11

Thanks Alex.  Good to hear that beta is getting closer and closer.  Sorry for not participating too much here.  I’ve been hella busy and practicing in ZBrush so not posting as much as I usually do here, there and everywhere!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

41 of 100