Digital Art Zone

2 of 100
Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!
Posted: 25 May 2012 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1324
Joined  2009-10-27
Fille123 - 25 May 2012 02:04 PM
Alessandro_AM - 25 May 2012 03:17 AM

there are a number of features that I recently added that will allow that. I didn’t share yet any information or movies about these, but here are some brief notes:

- density maps: it’s possible to assign a density map (i.e. a greyscale texture) so that full hair growth will follow. Since black pixels mean density=0, density maps will also work as “cut maps” allowing to precisely define the hair contour area.
- hair remover tool: it’s a brush tool that allows to visually “remove” hair (just like waxing). It’s very simple and effective to use.
- customizable number of hair segments: for each LAMH project it’s possible to define a custom number of hair segments. To make an example, if you plan to make some simple, short fur, 10 segments will definitely be more than enough; if you are going to produce some very curly, crispy hair, you may increase that to 40-50 segments so that strands geometry, having a higher number of points/segments, will be more precise and more detailed. This is the case also for hairy chest.
- multiple hair groups: it’s possible to have multiple hair groups assigned to the same follicles: it’s an important feature because it allows to “mix” hair with different properties (shaders, maps, shapes). Think for example how you can easily create a mix of curly and smooth hair, with different colors.
- root/tip width maps (yet to be done): similarly to density maps, this maps will allow to define custom width variations for hair strands.

Yyyyyessss!! LOL Are hair length maps also on the to-do list?

Length maps? Why would we need those since we have the scale tool to do that? Consider yourself spank’d! LOL

Image Attachments
spank.gif
 Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 25 May 2012 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2005-11-30

rofl that emote! xD

i love how the density works and i think hair can be easily made with a dark grey map and the curly hair deformer you showed off in the previous video :D

Posted: 26 May 2012 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2008-05-14

Wha!?! big surprise

Length maps based on objects’ UVs would be quicker and would allow a more uniform/smoother job than the scale tool in some instances (open the template in photoshop, use a brush or the gradient tool and voila! grin ). I tend to prefer that way when playing with hair in Carrara, especially since I’m more at ease with 2D than 3D painting.

Although one thing that would be even more useful and time-saving would be a Recomb Tool. surprised

Posted: 27 May 2012 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27

As from the blog:

Arctic fox: furred!

I cheated on this because I used a red fox model (arctic foxes look a little bit different, more compact and less skinny, slightly different head shape.
The process of creating fur was straightforward and, believe it or not, I didn’t need to comb hair at all.
The whole fur has been accomplished using the taper, spherize and length deformers, and the randomize roots and randomize length on full hair.
Used the scale tool a little bit just to balance some fur spots, and rendered in 22 minutes using the advanced shader provided with LAMH.
Added a subtle HDR toning to enhance contrast a bit.
Hope you like it…”

Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 27 May 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15280
Joined  2003-10-09

Alessandro, the forum image resize function isn’t working so for now you need to resize images to 800 pixels maximum dimension before uploading. Sorry about that, it’s pain I know.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 27 May 2012 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27

Sorry about that. Here is the Arctic Fox render at 800pixels…

Image Attachments
arctic_fox_furred_HDR_800.jpg
 Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 27 May 2012 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2005-11-30

omg, I neeeeeeed this! that fox is so cute, i cant stand it xD

I’m amazed at how natural it looks without the combing, i would have though that around the shoulders at least you may need to comb the hair direction but it looks nice to me.

Posted: 27 May 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27
Faewolf - 27 May 2012 01:50 PM

omg, I neeeeeeed this! that fox is so cute, i cant stand it xD

I’m amazed at how natural it looks without the combing, i would have though that around the shoulders at least you may need to comb the hair direction but it looks nice to me.

Hi, well the “spherize” deformer really comes handy because it allows to “drape” hair in a direction. And also the “taper” deformer, which can be used to equalize strand lenghts very easily. After using those two deformers, I was almost done with shaping guide hair.

Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 27 May 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2655
Joined  2003-12-06

Fluffy foxy! Want!  surprised

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 27 May 2012 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2008-12-05

That fox is amazingly gorgeous. Wow. This may be the thing that gets me to actually BUY something from this place. I haven’t been willing to try until things get sorted out.

Posted: 27 May 2012 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  657
Joined  2007-05-26

I didn’t see this thread in the old forums… so I need a catch-up summary… will this be a plugin for dynamic hair in Studio??

Signature 

If I want to be a fool then I will be a fool! That is my God given right as an American!

—- Jason from True Blood

Posted: 27 May 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2983
Joined  2004-04-14
MrPoser - 27 May 2012 07:25 PM

I didn’t see this thread in the old forums… so I need a catch-up summary… will this be a plugin for dynamic hair in Studio??

Dynamic no, not for version 1.  Future version, maybe.  Please see Alex’s blog for a lot of additional info - http://look-at-my-hair.blogspot.it/

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 28 May 2012 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2005-10-21

Wow - I adore that fox!! smile  Very realistic. ^o^

Signature 

May I be excused? My brain is full….... tongue wink
My Renderosity store
My dA Gallery

Posted: 28 May 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2008-05-14

Awww cute! LOL

Posted: 28 May 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2655
Joined  2003-12-06
MrPoser - 27 May 2012 07:25 PM

I didn’t see this thread in the old forums…

The old thread is here. It’s a bit long at 43 pages, though. A pity the posted pics don’t work yet, it was pretty amazing watching each new feature develop. There were also a lot of impressive YouTube links, I’m not sure how easy these would be to copy/fix/paste into your browser’s address bar.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

2 of 100