Digital Art Zone

71 of 100
Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!
Posted: 21 December 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1051 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1315
Joined  2006-08-19
Kattey - 21 December 2012 02:42 PM
Alessandro_AM - 21 December 2012 02:31 PM
Kattey - 21 December 2012 02:27 PM

I have a feeling I’m doing something wrong here.

It is exported at 12000 hair quality and it is still too thin. I didn’t touch density maps.

Hi Kattey, average human count is 120000, so you might want to try with that count. Also, if you feel hair are still to thin, you may increase root and width in the material setup window.

Ok, I’ll try this, thanks.

Aside of surfaces in DS core room itself, I don’t see material setup window. I know it should be there, because the manual mentions it but I don’t see where it is.

Out of curiosity, what sort of render times people have with that hair and under which lighting?

there is a gear icon on the right above the Folicles header, you can edit colors and thickness there..

I played with the render settings in the manual, but I don’t need shading reate set quite so low,  my shading rate is 1, the big difference maker in looks is shadow bias which I set my lights to .1 and do a 3 light set up.  you can drop the shading rate to .1 or lower but render times increase alot, same with shadow bias.. 

currenty seeing render times around 5 - 10 minutes..

Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/35801

Posted: 21 December 2012 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1052 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  383
Joined  2003-10-09

Just wanted to come back, and confirm both “offline” installs worked.

So, if anyone is on the fence due to offline machines, don’t let that stop your purchase.  You can install using an offline copy/paste procedure.

My 32 bit laptop doesn’t have the juice to run the plugin (was expecting this), and crashes with fatal error.  Probably because of onboard graphics with OGL 1.4, and no shader language support.  I don’t think It has the minimum requirements needed to work.  Oh well…

64 bit Windows 7 opens fine.  No time to test right now, but I will give it a thorough workout later.

Also, just wanted to say that it’s nice to see Kendall on board with this project.

Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 21 December 2012 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1053 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  393
Joined  2003-10-09

Here is a quick and basic way of setting up to use density maps you create outside look at my hair, it is done with an earlier build of the plugin so dont worry if you see things missing in the version I made the video on.

Density maps can be a great starting point to get the shape of the hair sorry there is no sound but I think as long as you follow my mouse you’ll be ok. There is a load of density maps I posted throughout this thread if I get chance I will add them here. as you can load the same density maps into different shave groups so you get more control like if you want the beard to be thicker than the head ect.

here is the video hope it helps someone and I will do more as I promised Alex I would make some a while back on how to create them in Paintshop so should be able to easily use gimp or photoshop to follow along as the tolls used are availible in each.

Steve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90b0oOAc2zw

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/101

Posted: 21 December 2012 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1054 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2834
Joined  2006-07-31
Rareth - 21 December 2012 02:49 PM

Aside of surfaces in DS core room itself, I don’t see material setup window. I know it should be there, because the manual mentions it but I don’t see where it is.

Out of curiosity, what sort of render times people have with that hair and under which lighting?

there is a gear icon on the right above the Folicles header, you can edit colors and thickness there..

I played with the render settings in the manual, but I don’t need shading reate set quite so low,  my shading rate is 1, the big difference maker in looks is shadow bias which I set my lights to .1 and do a 3 light set up.  you can drop the shading rate to .1 or lower but render times increase alot, same with shadow bias.. 

It is about that with Shadow Mapped light but it is much longer than that with Raytraced light.
I tried with different shadow bias and with Shading rate but don’t know which ones are better to use, they all look about same as a result.

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 21 December 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1055 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19
Kattey - 21 December 2012 04:26 PM

It is about that with Shadow Mapped light but it is much longer than that with Raytraced light.
I tried with different shadow bias and with Shading rate but don’t know which ones are better to use, they all look about same as a result.

Here are the setting I used to get the hair shown

Image Attachments
harisettings.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 December 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1056 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1263
Joined  2009-10-27
Rareth - 21 December 2012 05:03 PM

Hi Rareth, are these hair exported as .obj or Renderman curves?

Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 21 December 2012 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1057 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  588
Joined  0

I bought it. Question: I don’t see a serial number in “My Serial Numbers” but the product page says there will be one there?

Signature 

Having trouble with clothing/props not showing in Daz 4.5? Take a look at this thread:

Thread in Nuts And Bolts forum

Posted: 21 December 2012 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1058 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27
Riggswolfe - 21 December 2012 05:10 PM

I bought it. Question: I don’t see a serial number in “My Serial Numbers” but the product page says there will be one there?

That’s an issue that I notified at DAZ today: it seems like the web robot doesn’t assign the number. Please run LAMH, and email me the Serial Number prompted there at:
info_at_alessandromastronardi.com (replace _at_ with @).

I’ll send you the activation data in a minute.

Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 21 December 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1059 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27
Sal UK - 21 December 2012 04:24 PM

Here is a quick and basic way of setting up to use density maps you create outside look at my hair, it is done with an earlier build of the plugin so dont worry if you see things missing in the version I made the video on.

Density maps can be a great starting point to get the shape of the hair sorry there is no sound but I think as long as you follow my mouse you’ll be ok. There is a load of density maps I posted throughout this thread if I get chance I will add them here. as you can load the same density maps into different shave groups so you get more control like if you want the beard to be thicker than the head ect.

here is the video hope it helps someone and I will do more as I promised Alex I would make some a while back on how to create them in Paintshop so should be able to easily use gimp or photoshop to follow along as the tolls used are availible in each.

Steve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90b0oOAc2zw

Hey Steve, nice to see you around here again, and thank you very much for sharing that tutorial.

Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 21 December 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1060 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19
Alessandro_AM - 21 December 2012 05:05 PM

renderman curves.

Signature 

Posted: 21 December 2012 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1061 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27
Rareth - 21 December 2012 05:22 PM
Alessandro_AM - 21 December 2012 05:05 PM

renderman curves.

When rendering humans, I usually create 120000 hair, and set root/tip widths at: 130/80, and I use render settings as in the attached image.
Also, if using a UE2 light, I set its Shading Rate at 0.1 as well.

Image Attachments
render_settings.jpg
 Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 21 December 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1062 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19

I do use 120000 hairs and similar settings, but I got better results when I set the shadow bias down to .1 rather an set the shading rate to .1 or lower (renders faster too)

Signature 

Posted: 21 December 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1063 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  627
Joined  2007-12-04

Just wondering how LAMH runs on older systems (Windows Vista 32bit)?  Hoping to get this one on Monday, but would like to check first grin

Signature 

Follow me on facebook, check out my website or find my freebies here.
Don’t forget to have a look at The Wizard’s Library, my multi-figure Daz scene.

Posted: 21 December 2012 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1064 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Okay, I got LAMH loading I can play and edit hairs but for the life of me I’m 100% lost about getting the hair into DS to render. The PDF was not very detailed about that part that I can find. Please help, Where can I find tutorials and such?

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 21 December 2012 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1065 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19

The Circled Icon exports hair

Image Attachments
jade-help.jpg
 Signature