Digital Art Zone

1 of 100
Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!
Posted: 24 May 2012 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1241
Joined  2009-10-27

Well, it’s really a pity it was not possible to import the old forum database, so the LAMH thread will start from square 1 as all the rest.
I’ve been working very hard last two weeks, and I have several new features to show.
I’m currently uploading a new movie and will post here as well, so stay tuned!

Signature 

Real Plants Collection 1: Fallen Trees, Ivy and Vines”
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 24 May 2012 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  676
Joined  2004-11-12

Welcome back, I look forward to seeing the progress you made. :D

Posted: 24 May 2012 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27

As from the blog:

New feature: the Scene Explorer
I worked very hard during last two weeks and so now it’s time to start showing some of the new features.
The first one is the Scene Explorer, which allows to easily add a figure or a prop available in the Studio scene directly to the Look at my Hair framework.
With figures, it’s even possible to choose specific nodes to load.

As usual, here is a brief movie to demonstrate the new feature:

http://youtu.be/3gkP9MwiXD0

Signature 

Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 24 May 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2003-10-09

Every time I thnk it can’t get any better, it does. This is really an amazing piece of work Alessandro.

Coldrake

Signature 

I don’t dance, I boogie.
———————————————————

If I have to choose between speed and quality, I’ll take quality every time.
———————————————————

It’s not what tools you use,
It’s how you use your tools.

Posted: 24 May 2012 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27
Coldrake - 24 May 2012 04:30 PM

Every time I thnk it can’t get any better, it does. This is really an amazing piece of work Alessandro.

Coldrake

Thank you very much. There are so many features to showcase, stay tuned for next videos…

Signature 

Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 24 May 2012 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1782
Joined  2005-04-15

I’m really excited about this, so thanks for starting the new thread.

So… how well do you think it will be able to handle really light hair growth… by which I mean something like a man’s hairy chest or a teenager’s mustache?

Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 24 May 2012 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  624
Joined  2007-12-04

great video!  looking forward to seeing what else you come up with smile

Signature 

Follow me on facebook, check out my website or find my freebies here.
Don’t forget to have a look at The Wizard’s Library, my multi-figure Daz scene.

Posted: 24 May 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2005-11-30

wow, love the new video! cant wait to seethe other features you’re hinting at as well! :D

Posted: 24 May 2012 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-02-27

Just wanting to check in so I can follow the progress.

Posted: 25 May 2012 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2004-03-05

how long till its out?

I too needed to register on the thread raspberry

Posted: 25 May 2012 01:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27
chiefarchon - 25 May 2012 01:31 AM

how long till its out?

I too needed to register on the thread raspberry

Hi, I believe I’m very close to start beta testing: can’t give a date, but I believe it should be ready for summer.

Signature 

Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 25 May 2012 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27

Let’s continue showing new feature being added. It’s now time for the “deformers and selection controls”.

As from the blog:

In this movie I’m giving a quick overview of the available deformers and how those can be combined to quickly shape hair. I’m also showing how to use selection controls to mask some areas so that deformers and styling will only apply to those.
Notice how some of the deformers can be applied to one or more axis simultaneously (see that small xyz mini widget along the deformer slider), and how you can combine deformers to produce different results.

As a side note, as explained earlier in this blog, preview hair may have some sharp corners but those will be “smoothed” during the render, producing nice spline curves.

Please watch the movie HD and full screen to appreciate all the details.

Here is the movie: http://youtu.be/HwK4PmdvIuU

Signature 

Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 25 May 2012 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27
Cybersox13 - 24 May 2012 06:17 PM

I’m really excited about this, so thanks for starting the new thread.

So… how well do you think it will be able to handle really light hair growth… by which I mean something like a man’s hairy chest or a teenager’s mustache?

Hi,

there are a number of features that I recently added that will allow that. I didn’t share yet any information or movies about these, but here are some brief notes:

- density maps: it’s possible to assign a density map (i.e. a greyscale texture) so that full hair growth will follow. Since black pixels mean density=0, density maps will also work as “cut maps” allowing to precisely define the hair contour area.
- hair remover tool: it’s a brush tool that allows to visually “remove” hair (just like waxing). It’s very simple and effective to use.
- customizable number of hair segments: for each LAMH project it’s possible to define a custom number of hair segments. To make an example, if you plan to make some simple, short fur, 10 segments will definitely be more than enough; if you are going to produce some very curly, crispy hair, you may increase that to 40-50 segments so that strands geometry, having a higher number of points/segments, will be more precise and more detailed. This is the case also for hairy chest.
- multiple hair groups: it’s possible to have multiple hair groups assigned to the same follicles: it’s an important feature because it allows to “mix” hair with different properties (shaders, maps, shapes). Think for example how you can easily create a mix of curly and smooth hair, with different colors.
- root/tip width maps (yet to be done): similarly to density maps, this maps will allow to define custom width variations for hair strands.

I’ve never tried to render some very short hair, but will do that soon. I believe with all the features explained here it should be very possible.

Signature 

Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 25 May 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2005-05-17

Checking in, lots of progress being made.  Cant wait for this product to hit the stores.!

Posted: 25 May 2012 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-27

Yet another update, showing how density maps work.

As from the blog:

““Quick and dirty” example showing how you can assign a density map to a surface, and how that will affect hair population.
As explained in the movie, hair density will be calculated gathering grey scale values, where white pixels is full density, black pixels account for no hair, and grey values will be used to calculate interpolated densities.”

Link to YT movie: http://youtu.be/K5TxOupsdFg

Signature 

Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 25 May 2012 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2008-05-14
Alessandro_AM - 25 May 2012 03:17 AM

there are a number of features that I recently added that will allow that. I didn’t share yet any information or movies about these, but here are some brief notes:

- density maps: it’s possible to assign a density map (i.e. a greyscale texture) so that full hair growth will follow. Since black pixels mean density=0, density maps will also work as “cut maps” allowing to precisely define the hair contour area.
- hair remover tool: it’s a brush tool that allows to visually “remove” hair (just like waxing). It’s very simple and effective to use.
- customizable number of hair segments: for each LAMH project it’s possible to define a custom number of hair segments. To make an example, if you plan to make some simple, short fur, 10 segments will definitely be more than enough; if you are going to produce some very curly, crispy hair, you may increase that to 40-50 segments so that strands geometry, having a higher number of points/segments, will be more precise and more detailed. This is the case also for hairy chest.
- multiple hair groups: it’s possible to have multiple hair groups assigned to the same follicles: it’s an important feature because it allows to “mix” hair with different properties (shaders, maps, shapes). Think for example how you can easily create a mix of curly and smooth hair, with different colors.
- root/tip width maps (yet to be done): similarly to density maps, this maps will allow to define custom width variations for hair strands.

Yyyyyessss!! LOL Are hair length maps also on the to-do list?

1 of 100