Digital Art Zone

3 of 6
NEW USER Contest March 2014 “WIP Thread” 
Posted: 11 March 2014 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1259
Joined  2012-04-13
@TobiasG: I think mcjam24 is correct in his guess.

@ Carola O: I like this image better than your first. Your Jade Tiger is featured better and there is still a sense of a crowd admiring the Tiger. As for the computer, don't we all need more power? cool smirk

Signature 

Posted: 11 March 2014 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6173
Joined  2005-08-29
@TobiasG: if you move the sniper a bit backwards, and have some single straws of grass close to the camera, and make the sniper the focal point.

@Carola: I think the last one is better, the people are out of focus to clearly show what's in focus. I like the idea with the half person, a great "art rule breaker" that goes well here.
 Signature 

=============================================
My DAZ Gallery  | The adventures of Lomund
Free RPG adventures for DnD, O:FR and more: http://4eyes.code66.se
Community Volunteer

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club
I always look on the bright side of life, ‘cause I never expected the Spanish inquisition!

Posted: 13 March 2014 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2012-05-06
I have never used Depth of field before, but I like the effect it gives. Hope this is close to what you are looking for in this challenge
Image Attachments
Pagan_Ritual.jpg

Posted: 13 March 2014 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Very Close but the Idea is to have BOTH the forward and Far parts out of focus with the MID level item the Clear focus point.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 15 March 2014 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2005-01-16
"As one who down a lonesome road ..."
Done in DS4.6. Using two Genesis figures. The male using Soto's "Vincent" texture and hair. The only post-work was to reduce the image size.
Image Attachments
As_One_Who_Down_A_Lonesome_Road_-_Take_2_(s)_copy.jpg

Posted: 15 March 2014 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2014-01-11
I had another go at one, happy to receive critique and comments.
Image Attachments
treeHouse.jpg

Posted: 16 March 2014 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-13
@bobfisher: Perhaps it is the angle but it looks like your character is "floating" above the ground. Looks good to me otherwise but I am not a judge.
 Signature 

Posted: 16 March 2014 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-13
Here is the latest version of my entry.

And just for you bobfisher a version looking up into the tree. I could not get the "light coming through the leaves" effect. It also does not have anything in the foreground that is affected by DOF. But I thought you might like to see what I did with your suggestion.
Image Attachments
DOF_Windchime_42.jpgDOF_Windchime_31.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 19 March 2014 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2013-04-06
@Carola: your second one had me at hello.

@Kismet: it's really coming along now...maybe the background is a little too out of focus? Or maybe I just really want to know what that shape to the right of the windchimes is.

@Stargazey: I'm liking the tension you've managed to create...perhaps moving the focal distance back just a bit to blur up the male figure a bit more? Or moving him closer to the camera.

@spmwc: if the set is circular with same repeating elements you could just be able to back your camera up to see them in the image as well....or drop something like a stone altar in front of the camera....but I am liking the angle and lighting you've got going on.
 Signature 

My Playground

Posted: 19 March 2014 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-10-23
This is the first time I've actually decided to do the contest... or any contest, for that matter. Before I submit this image, I was wondering if any of you had some tips (especially image composition and those last few bones on the tail). Any advice would be much appreciated!
Image Attachments
babydragonsmall.png

Posted: 20 March 2014 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2012-05-06
Jaderail, thanx for the clarification on what you are looking for in this challenge!!!!

mcjam24; I did what you suggested and also added a few items to the scene. Not sure if the scene looks too busy now or not. I'm finding working with DOF a bit tricky but a fun challenge. Any comments are very welcome.
Image Attachments
Pagan_Ritual.jpg

Posted: 21 March 2014 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2005-01-16
Version 2, with adjusted framing etc.
Image Attachments
AOWDALR_-_2_(B-s)_copy.jpg

Posted: 22 March 2014 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-10-23
stargazey - 21 March 2014 02:29 AM
Version 2, with adjusted framing etc.

You might have a better time if you switched the focus from the attacking woman to the fanged person. That way, the blur on the woman would make her look scarier because less would be known, and it would help movement because it would add a sort of "motion blur."

Alternatively, if you changed the composition so that the action was emphasized, it would make the image a lot stronger and more readable. I made this sketch to show what I mean:
Image Attachments
stargazeythumb.png

Posted: 22 March 2014 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1658
Joined  2013-04-23
My second entry for this month smile this pic was just born in my mind, so I just went with it

Summer Fae

The fae walks the forest, smiling at the new life that grows after the harsh Winter and the Spring that took too long to arrive
Image Attachments
summerfaesmall.jpg
 Signature 

My Art Thread  **  My Gallery  **  My Deviant Art  (includes mature content)

Playful Ferret, Proud Wizard Companion of BWC

Posted: 23 March 2014 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-13
Here is the latest version. I think I have the DOF set up better. Was a little trickier than I thought.

@mcjam24: Hopefully you can now figure out what that is to the righ to of the windchime.
Image Attachments
DOF_Windchime_50.jpg
 Signature 

3 of 6