Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Why does Daz release such a few Items compared to other sites?
Posted: 09 July 2012 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3530
Joined  2009-08-05

Is this due to

A. lack of vendors
B. Quality control and testing (Been a lot of slip ups recently)
C. Strategic time release of products.

This is NOT a poll, I just want to know what is the strategy here if any. I look at R-osity, and their store spoils me with choice. Yes a lot of products are nothing special, but still. It is nice to have a wider selection. Daz has always been known as a content Guru, but with so few releases I wonder what is happening here? Just Popped in there again at R-osity and another 10 products added since Yesterday.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 09 July 2012 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2006-04-15

I would say the answer is B. I’ve always had the impression that DAZ goes for quality over quantity. Certainly the impression I’ve got from various forum posts over the years is that it is quite difficult to get your foot in the door as a PA here.

AS for regularity of releases, RuntimeDNA aren’t exactly prolific with releases either, with new releases tending to stay on the front page if anything longer than here at DAZ.

Posted: 09 July 2012 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2043
Joined  2011-07-31

With the versatility of Genesis, there is no need for a separate product for each figure.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

Posted: 09 July 2012 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05
AtticAnne - 09 July 2012 06:04 AM

With the versatility of Genesis, there is no need for a separate product for each figure.

I agree, but it is also 10 times easier developing for Genesis compared to Gen4, so that still does not explain what the hold up is.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 09 July 2012 06:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2043
Joined  2011-07-31

Personally, I think there are too many releases, even on DAZ, and too many sales.  My loose money doesn’t go very far.  As a buyer I look at quality, versatility, and uniqueness.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2005-09-19
AtticAnne - 09 July 2012 06:32 AM

Personally, I think there are too many releases, even on DAZ

That assumes every release will be useful to you, whereas maybe only one item in a week’s releases will pique my curiosity and that seems perfectly valid to me. It might be the same for a lot of users, but which item draws their attention is going to vary from user to user. You won’t catch the attention of your buyers without a good range of items (contemporary clothing in styles from staid to club, fantasy, historical, SFnal,and so on).

I find that Renderosity releases so many items that I just can’t keep track, which means they lose a lot of potential sales - I might buy there three or four times a year. DAZ OTOH I can miss a week, come back and still not be flooded out by the number of new releases, so they seem to have it just about right.

Posted: 09 July 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1412
Joined  2010-03-25

My comment i make here is no way intended to bash or put down Daz4 or genesis, or to start a poser/daz compatibility debate

so I retracted my comment to keep the peace & love smile

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

Posted: 09 July 2012 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17

DAZ’s QA program.

Anyone who has kept up with PA’s comments over the years has seen the mentions of “still in DAZ QA” or “I have to redo something because DAZ QA found ...”

Since DAZ’s return policy is better than any other, they must be more careful not to allow bad items in the store.  There are costs involved with refunding money.

Even with the recent “issues” DAZ’s QA crew is Lightyears ahead of the others.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 09 July 2012 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2005-09-19
Ivy Summers - 09 July 2012 08:46 AM

Older versions of Daz such as Daz 3 and Daz 2 could use poser compatibility products,. genesis not so much. you really have to work with genesis to get older gen4 products to work with it.

That’s plain wrong, I’m afraid, DS4 and Genesis can use Poser stuff just as well as DS3 and earlier - and try using Gen 3 content on Gen 4 figures in any version of Studio or Poser prior to DS4.

Some long time users have hard drives full of older gen4 content they want to continue to use without having to add a tool or some other kind of rigging to get it to work in DAZ4 so they don’t bother with with it. myself included.

I’ve yet to come across anything that won’t work in DS4 other than plugins that haven’t been updated.

even though Daz4 is free you need to buy tons of Genesis compatible tools and morphs figures and such to get genesis to work

Not at all. I’d say the only ‘essential’ for Genesis is the Evolution morphs bundle, just as you needed the Morphs++ packs in Gen 3 and Gen 4 (and needed them whether you used Poser or Studio). With those morphs you have access to all Genesis releases, can use Gen 4 skins on Genesis and Autofit will handle Gen 4 clothing just fine (shoes being a minor exception). Add GenX and its figure packs and you can use all of your Gen 3 clothing as well, and convert Gen 3 and 4 figure morphs to work with Genesis. That’s one extra tool to make all of your previous generations content usable, which wasn’t an option we got for Gen 3 when Gen 4 came out. I’m not criticising Poser users who don’t want to take the plunge, that’s a valid decision, but it’s misleading to claim Genesis needs a lot of tools to be usable in Studio, when in fact it is more compatible with previous generation content out of the box than any figure preceding it.

if you have read and listen to what has been said in the forums   that has been a big turn off to a lot of customers

Unfortunately there has been a lot of misinformation about Genesis. There is a valid point that it is more difficult to use in Poser, but a lot of information about how usable it is in Studio and what can and cannot be done has been just plain wrong.

I personally love the looks of some of the new gen5 & genesis clothing that has come out. But if i can’t share the runtime file with my poser program then why spend money on it. I have read this same complaint in other forums as well. So i know others have felt the same way.. this maybe why you see such a big difference in product releases from different sites, compared to daz site. People only have so much money.

The difference in volume has always been there, it isn’t down to Genesis.

Posted: 09 July 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3426
Joined  2007-06-22

@ Ivy Summer - much of what you have said is debatable, I have plugins for Poser that work in Poser 8 but do not work in Poser 9 or 2012, I will have to rebuy them if I ever feel inclined to use Poser.

I find using Gen4 stuff and Gen3 stuff with Genesis pretty straightforward, much easier than I’ve ever found any other conversion system.

Personally I find it easy compared to Poser to get things to look good in DS. I find DS4 easier to use than DS3 and so very much better than Poser.

Daz have never released the amount that other sites do so laying the blame at Genesis’ feet is not really accurate.

You might also be surprised at how many people do use DS4 and are happy with it, the market is not so very small; but as from a vendors point of view at least you won’t be competing against numerous other vendors in the same market producing the same sort of thing.

Although you begin your statement with a declaration that you have no wish to put down DS your words say things quite different, your opinion is simply that - your opinion - not fact.
My opinions as I have stated contradict yours completely.

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1742
Joined  2008-11-10
DWG - 09 July 2012 09:36 AM
Ivy Summers - 09 July 2012 08:46 AM

Older versions of Daz such as Daz 3 and Daz 2 could use poser compatibility products,. genesis not so much. you really have to work with genesis to get older gen4 products to work with it.

That’s plain wrong, I’m afraid,

This really needs a like button.

Genesis has nothing to do with the number of releases or anything else from the quoted post, simply due to the fact that the same amount of content was released to the store prior to Genesis. Like others have said before in this thread, it’s really down to getting a product approved, and going through QA, and artwork stages… each of which takes time due to the staff available to handle the product. Sometimes, QA catches something, or maybe something in the product needs to be changed, added or removed. Then sometimes a promo needs to be redone or changed. All that takes time and resources to go from submission to release, which reaction or speculation due to Genesis has nothing to do with.

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  922
Joined  2005-11-06

As a long time poser user i have to agree completely with DWG, but I also feel your workflow comes down to what renderer you are going to use. If you are dead set on the firefly renderer in poser, then it is harder to get things to work with genesis and genesis content in poser, BUT not impossible.
I prefer using Luxrender over Firefly and as such with DS4 pro being free and GenX there is no technical excuse not to be able to use older/non genesis content in DS4. In fact, I find it really refreshing as my workflow has never been faster. I can load V4 with custom morphs, apply all clothing and then hit transfer active morphs and I have a perfect fit and in the case I don’t, the smoothing modifier works a treat normally. I find working with genesis to be great also and with most of my V4 clothing, props and morphs. Granted, there are some things I can only do in poser and luckily i can do those in poser 2012 and either render there, or import into DS4 and render in Luxrender and the process works fine. So basically, if any user isn’t really going to take the small effort to learn how to use the tools available in this hobby/business and only rely on point and click/do it for me types of content, they really are limiting themselves to what can be done.

I do agree that DAZ releases tend to be few and far between and it seems they like to flood the MP when they do release something. I am an experienced user and have no problems buying content, but i have learned from experience what types of content work for me and also make things for my use also, so as a modeler i tend to be pickier on the mesh side and also the price based of that.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05
FSMCDesigns - 09 July 2012 10:32 AM

I prefer using Luxrender over Firefly and as such with DS4 pro being free and GenX there is no technical excuse not to be able to use older/non genesis content in DS4. In fact, I find it really refreshing as my workflow has never been faster. I can load V4 with custom morphs, apply all clothing and then hit transfer active morphs and I have a perfect fit and in the case I don’t, the smoothing modifier works a treat normally. I find working with genesis to be great also and with most of my V4 clothing, props and morphs. .

Amen to this. Back on topic, seems like its a quality control phase holding products back. But I am a bit confused here. Mec4d new Unshaved hair sets was done a month before release, and I don’t think she would release something with issues as she is very thorough in her testing. Now the culprit is pointing back to strategic release of product.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1742
Joined  2008-11-10
Zev0 - 09 July 2012 10:39 AM

Amen to this. Back on topic, seems like its a quality control thing holding products back. But I am a bit confused here. Mec4d new Unshaved hair sets was done a month before release, and I don’t think she would release something witn issues as she is very thorough in her testing. Now the culprit is pointing back to strategic release of product.

Unshaven was made by Mec4D, but is a DAZ Original… so those would follow a different release track than PA items. PA items are usually released as soon as they clear the different departments… Daz O’s could be held back for release for a time in the future, such as Platinum club or March Madness.

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17
Zev0 - 09 July 2012 10:39 AM
FSMCDesigns - 09 July 2012 10:32 AM

I prefer using Luxrender over Firefly and as such with DS4 pro being free and GenX there is no technical excuse not to be able to use older/non genesis content in DS4. In fact, I find it really refreshing as my workflow has never been faster. I can load V4 with custom morphs, apply all clothing and then hit transfer active morphs and I have a perfect fit and in the case I don’t, the smoothing modifier works a treat normally. I find working with genesis to be great also and with most of my V4 clothing, props and morphs. .

Amen to this. Back on topic, seems like its a quality control phase holding products back. But I am a bit confused here. Mec4d new Unshaved hair sets was done a month before release, and I don’t think she would release something with issues as she is very thorough in her testing. Now the culprit is pointing back to strategic release of product.

Mec4d turned over the product to DAZ who expanded the product on their own.  She mentions this in the discussion for the product.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 09 July 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7979
Joined  2006-03-19

DAZ has held several of our DO’s for up to 6 months. PA products are typically released as soon as they pass QA and art approval.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

1 of 3