Digital Art Zone

Importing Digital Elevation data into Bryce 7
Posted: 16 February 2014 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  343
Joined  2007-10-30

I can still import my older digital elevation files with the ‘.dem’ extension into Bryce 7 Pro.. However I have a number of digital elevation files with ‘.DDF’ extension which I can open in Bryce 6.3.  Bryce 7 shows the “.DDF’ extension as importable but when I try to open them in Bryce 7 they start to load and then I get a media I/O error. Is this a known problem or should I report it to DAZ even though Bryce is not currently in the development cycle?

Yes, I know I can work around the problem by opening them in Bryce 6,3 or some other program and then exporting as a ‘.dem’ file or a Tiff image which could then be used in Bryce 7; but this adds extra steps to the workflow.

Best Regards,
          Charlie

Posted: 16 February 2014 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  673
Joined  2006-05-26
Charlie Judge - 16 February 2014 08:52 AM

I can still import my older digital elevation files with the ‘.dem’ extension into Bryce 7 Pro.. However I have a number of digital elevation files with ‘.DDF’ extension which I can open in Bryce 6.3.  Bryce 7 shows the “.DDF’ extension as importable but when I try to open them in Bryce they they start to load and then I get a media I/O error. Is this a known problem or should I report it to DAZ even though Bryce is not currently in the development cycle?

Yes, I know I can work around the problem by opening them in Bryce 6,3 or some other program and then exporting as a ‘.dem’ file or a Tiff image which could then be used in Bryce 7; but this adds extra steps to the workflow.

Best Regards,
          Charlie

If they load into Bryce 6 okay then load them into Bryce 6 and save them as Object Presets into a secure location that you can then load directly into the Object Library in Bryce 7. This seems like fewer total steps than the tiff/bmp conversion stuff.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 16 February 2014 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-30

Hello Rashad:

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I know I can get them into Bryce 7 by first opening them in Bryce 6 and then exporting them as a ‘.dem’ file or as you suggest by saving them as an object preset.; but it still makes extra steps. So,  I wondered if whether or not this was a bug in Bryce 7 that should be reported.

Best Regards,
      Charlie

Posted: 17 February 2014 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3370
Joined  2004-10-01

@Charlie Judge - it’s been a while since I used DEMs and never used DDFs so I’m a bit lost (and that’s why I didn’t reply yesterday already). You found a way around, which is good, but not satisfactory. I hope Jay will drop in here. He’s the one who has a lot of experience in this matter.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 19 February 2014 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-11-04

Hello, I’ve not tried it as I don’t use DDF or DEM files but this link might help.  Someone else asked a similar question there and got an answer but didn’t post anything further to say whether it worked or not but it’s worth a try.

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=983&t=61361&g=1

There’s also some extra info here talking about the same conversion code - http://thecadgeek.com/blog/2009/03/acquiring-converting-dem-downloads/

Posted: 19 February 2014 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-10-30

Hi Steve:

Thanks for your reply.

I am familiar with the sdts2dem program and it works well; but it is somewhat of a pain to use. It is a simple program that you have to copy to whatever directory the SDTS (DDF) data is in and the run it. While it works under windows it opens an old DOS type text only window for input. It was much simpler when I could open an individual DDF file in Bryce 6.3. I’m not sure what changed in Bryce 7 that I can’t do that anymore.

USGS has adopted the seamless NED system and abandoned the SDTS (DDF) format but SDTS(DDF) data is still available from GeoCommunity. http://data.geocomm.com/dem/demdownload.html

Best Regards,
        Charlie