Black Is Beautiful II
Posted: 14 November 2013 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 436 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2005-10-28
Male-M3dia - 14 November 2013 10:02 AM
Spyro - 14 November 2013 03:52 AM
tjohn - 14 November 2013 03:47 AM

Untextured, it is impossible to even imagine (at least with my poor imagination) what the morphs look like; with the original promo art I can see what I’m getting. A bad call on someone’s part. They should have gone with SY’s original promos. The content creator’s instincts should be trusted. They are, after all, artists.

Very well spoken. I agree 100%

I’m thinking there was a misunderstanding on the untextured version bit.

DAZ asks me for a untextured version of the morphs in my products to show the customers what the morphs look like without textures, as things such as diffuse, bump, etc can fool the customer in thinking the morph is detailed when it’s really not. However, I kept my original promos as well to show how it looks with textures as the artistic promos… so you see the artistic and main ones first, then what the morphs looks like without textures. I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t want the other promos as artistic, unless there was a misunderstanding and sickleyield deleted the original promos out of the submission and replaced them with only untextured ones.

Only issue would be if they can tell that the textures used weren’t up to the quality meeting the morphs, such as using a Caucasian texture and changing the diffuse to make it ethnic, which if she was using reciecups textures, I can understand. There’s plenty of truly ethnic skins available on DAZ where you don’t have to change diffuse on a Caucasian skin.

Just want to make that point so the speculation doesn’t get out of control.

Not to continue to “spin things out of control” but can you elaborate a little on what you meant by using Reciecup’s textures?  Thanks.

NOTE:  I only ask as a matter of curiosity (and perhaps training, if you meant what I think you meant)

Posted: 14 November 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 437 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1747
Joined  2008-11-10
Supercope - 14 November 2013 11:02 AM

Untextured, it is impossible to even imagine (at least with my poor imagination) what the morphs look like; with the original promo art I can see what I’m getting. A bad call on someone’s part. They should have gone with SY’s original promos. The content creator’s instincts should be trusted. They are, after all, artists.

DAZ asks me for a untextured version of the morphs in my products to show the customers what the morphs look like without textures, as things such as diffuse, bump, etc can fool the customer in thinking the morph is detailed when it’s really not. However, I kept my original promos as well to show how it looks with textures as the artistic promos… so you see the artistic and main ones first, then what the morphs looks like without textures. I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t want the other promos as artistic, unless there was a misunderstanding and sickleyield deleted the original promos out of the submission and replaced them with only untextured ones.

Only issue would be if they can tell that the textures used weren’t up to the quality meeting the morphs, such as using a Caucasian texture and changing the diffuse to make it ethnic, which if she was using reciecups textures, I can understand. There’s plenty of truly ethnic skins available on DAZ where you don’t have to change diffuse on a Caucasian skin.

Not to continue to “spin things out of control” but can you elaborate a little on what you meant by using Reciecup’s textures?  Thanks.

NOTE:  I only ask as a matter of curiosity (and perhaps training, if you meant what I think you meant)

Look closely at the male textures. Diffused changed Caucasian textures (with a bit of the African texture everyone uses). Original merchant resource used to be sold on Rendo (I have it), but it’s no longer available for sale. Nice work to add in the options, but doesn’t change what the base texture actually is. There’s only one authentic light skinned black skin available in all of Poserdom, and I’m not really in the mood to put it back out there.

Posted: 14 November 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 438 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-28
Male-M3dia - 14 November 2013 11:13 AM
Supercope - 14 November 2013 11:02 AM

Look closely at the male textures. Diffused changed Caucasian textures. Original merchant resource used to be sold on Rendo (I have it), but it’s no longer available for sale. Nice work to add in the options, but doesn’t change what the base texture actually is. There’s only one authentic light skinned black skin available in all of Poserdom, and I’m not really in the mood to put it back out there.

Thank you for the info!  Is the authentic skin you mention a merchant resource or a character set?

Posted: 14 November 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 439 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1747
Joined  2008-11-10
Supercope - 14 November 2013 11:23 AM

Thank you for the info!  Is the authentic skin you mention a merchant resource or a character set?

Doesn’t matter at this point.

Posted: 14 November 2013 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 440 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-10-28
Male-M3dia - 14 November 2013 11:46 AM
Supercope - 14 November 2013 11:23 AM

Doesn’t matter at this point.

Fair enough.

Posted: 14 November 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 441 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5352
Joined  2008-03-06

No, they definitely said: “We feel like the textures on these distract from the morphs on this. We need you to do your promos untextured please. ”  Although I would always appreciate a reference to any skin that can pass for a dark South or West African without shader tweaks.  Candace and Benjamin weren’t doing it for me.

When I do the male version, I will ask specifically if they’ll let me at least do a textured main promo, maybe a head or torso shot.  The female version currently enjoys a modest success for the few hours it’s been out, so there’s a good chance even with current promos it will sell to DAZ’s standards.  It looks as if I need not have been so very concerned.  wink  I suppose that shouldn’t be such a surprise; the Fantastical Features set had only untextured promos and has performed extremely well.

Thanks to everyone in this thread for your support, and for joining me in my appreciation for human beauty in all of its forms.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery and tutorials.

Posted: 14 November 2013 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 442 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  695
Joined  2006-05-18

Thought I would give this a try. It’s Genesis2, no morphs, Bree textures, which I tweaked to darken.

Image Attachments
Bree_Dark_Small.jpg
 Signature 

I Am Not An Expert Because I Never Stop Being A Student And Continue To Learn.

Posted: 16 November 2013 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 443 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3814
Joined  2012-02-06

Thought I’d do a quick render of one of SickleYield’s new African Faces. Working on a fuller scene featuring her…

The face morph is Fatimata. I used Chablis skin. Hair is Caleb by AprilYSH, and I used a light preset by AprilYSH too. Clothing is a mix of V4 Moroccan stuff and the new Barefoot Dancer outfit that comes with G2F Starter Essentials.

Image Attachments
fatimata1.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 16 November 2013 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 444 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

Another: this is Zola, with Marie Dark skin and Paul hair. So far I’m really liking these faces…though it seems to me that someone weird is going on with her left eye…

Image Attachments
zola1.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 16 November 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 445 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

Not sure about the cause (who knows…could be user error!) but here’s what I’m seeing with the eyes…

1. Zola morph with eyes zeroed
2. Zola morph with Eyes Side-Side 1.00
3. G2F base with Eyes Side-Side 1.00

Image Attachments
zola-eye1.jpgzola-eye2.jpgg2f-eye.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 19 November 2013 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 446 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2012-02-07

Looking good Scott.

Due to SickleYield’s new morphs, I was forced to buy the V4 for G2F set.  Well, “forced” might be a little strong but I do wish there were more darker skins on the V5 UV.Quick test of the new morphs.  I’ll probably do a higher rez version and upload to the new galleries.

Image Attachments
G2F_V4_SY_Test.jpg
 Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

Posted: 19 November 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 447 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
ZamuelNow - 19 November 2013 11:47 AM

Looking good Scott.

Due to SickleYield’s new morphs, I was forced to buy the V4 for G2F set.

You too, eh? wink Which texture is that?

Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 19 November 2013 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 448 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-07

Naeima, Reciecup’s first freebie.  While I like the style most of her characters are known for, I think her first figure just may be her best.  I think there’s uploads at both her personal site and ShareCG but it’s been a while since I last checked.

Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

Posted: 19 November 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 449 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  684
Joined  2010-12-13
ZamuelNow - 19 November 2013 12:25 PM

Naeima, Reciecup’s first freebie.  While I like the style most of her characters are known for, I think her first figure just may be her best.  I think there’s uploads at both her personal site and ShareCG but it’s been a while since I last checked.

All of Reciecup’s freebies are on rendercandy.com now. As I remember, the Naeima texture did not come with bump or spec maps. Did you augment with other maps? I keep telling myself to go back and revisit Naeima, but I haven’t gotten around to it…

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery
Old post count 1725 (seems lame compared to some)

Posted: 25 November 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 450 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-07

Actually, the light is doing most of the heavy lifting.  There’s only the base textures but it’s a high specularity light.

Signature 

30 of 38