Digital Art Zone

3 of 9
Carrara Challenge #7:  “CARDS FROM AN UNUSUAL DECK”  - Work In Progress (WIP)
Posted: 05 February 2014 01:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-06-22
jrm21 - 04 February 2014 07:58 PM

The cards and the symbols on them were created in Carrara (there is one basic card shape and then four different “suit” symbols - I am guessing this qualifies as at least two items created in Carrara?) Along those lines, does “point at” qualify as use of a modifier?

Yes, if you created cards and symbols in Carrara they qualify.
If you mean the “Point at” modifier part of the Behavior Modifiers family and you use it to set the proper orientation of an object respect to another in you static scene, it qualifies too.

Posted: 05 February 2014 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  229
Joined  2006-05-21

Good idea for the rope diomede.  Is there a way to “freeze” a modified twist?  I have tried exporting it with morphs and skinning, it sort of works but looks terrible.

Signature 

http://stusutcliffe.blogspot.co.uk/

Posted: 05 February 2014 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1288
Joined  2003-10-09
stu sutcliffe - 05 February 2014 03:49 AM

Good idea for the rope diomede.  Is there a way to “freeze” a modified twist?  I have tried exporting it with morphs and skinning, it sort of works but looks terrible.

Thanks.  Good question about “freezing” the result.  I just played with a few ideas but no solution for you yet.  I tried converting only 1 of the cylinders to the vertex modeler before exporting and seeing if I could identify which one upon re-import.  It didn’t seem to make a difference.  Maybe if the mesh density was increased?  However, just doing the default resulted in a mesh density of over 88,000 vertexes.

I’ll attach a screenshot.  On the left is the mesh of the exported/re-imported rope .obj with one cylinder converted to a vertex model first.  I can’t identify the cylinder that was converted first based on the mesh.  The right side is the unadjusted rope model made with primitives and the twist modifier.

Could you post a screenshot of the problems that you are getting?

Image Attachments
rope_mesh.JPG

Posted: 05 February 2014 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  229
Joined  2006-05-21

I don’t need to . You just have!

I get the same. What we need is for it to keep the same mesh as when we started .
I have been making ropes in 3dCoat and have got it sorted, this would give me another option for a quickly made different spec rope.

In 3dcoat, what you do is make a secton of a rope, then you can sort of tile it and actually just draw the rope out,even tie knots in it! ( take a look at my Hunchback pic on my blog or on the renders thread here.)  But the key thing you have to do is make the top bit of the section you make match the bottom bit ,so when you tile it, it blends with itself. I figured this might be easier to do in Carrara .But it was just a thought , I will stick with what I have.

Signature 

http://stusutcliffe.blogspot.co.uk/

Posted: 05 February 2014 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  269
Joined  0

I’m trying to create a Card Soldier as well.
But this one is more influenced by the latest movie with Alice….

It’s still far from the final stage…

Image Attachments
Doc1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg
 Signature 

My freebies : http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=Varsel

Posted: 05 February 2014 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1288
Joined  2003-10-09
stu sutcliffe - 05 February 2014 08:18 AM

I get the same. What we need is for it to keep the same mesh as when we started .
I have been making ropes in 3dCoat and have got it sorted, this would give me another option for a quickly made different spec rope.

In 3dcoat, what you do is make a secton of a rope, then you can sort of tile it and actually just draw the rope out,even tie knots in it! ( take a look at my Hunchback pic on my blog or on the renders thread here.)  But the key thing you have to do is make the top bit of the section you make match the bottom bit ,so when you tile it, it blends with itself. I figured this might be easier to do in Carrara .  But it was just a thought , I will stick with what I have.

For straight ropes, I think you could use a replicator with ‘seamless’ tiling if you “...make the top bit of the section you make match the bottom bit ,so when you tile it, it blends with itself.”  Curving the result requires more thought.

Varsel,

- looks great!  Your card-soldiers would kick my card-soldiers butts in a battle because I have imbedded the shoulder and hip joints within the card.  My configuration complicates the joint weight-mapping.

Posted: 05 February 2014 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6026
Joined  2006-08-27
stu sutcliffe - 05 February 2014 08:18 AM

In 3dcoat, what you do is make a secton of a rope, then you can sort of tile it and actually just draw the rope out,even tie knots in it! ( take a look at my Hunchback pic on my blog or on the renders thread here.)  But the key thing you have to do is make the top bit of the section you make match the bottom bit ,so when you tile it, it blends with itself. I figured this might be easier to do in Carrara .But it was just a thought , I will stick with what I have.

I have two suggestions for the rope. Neither one uses the modifier though.

One would be to use the VM and draw to circles next to each other (or more, depending on how many strands you need), then use the dynamic extrude function and extrude the two circles out a short bit, then use the rotate tool to rotate the extruded section a bit, extrude, rotate, extrude, rotate, etc. etc. as long as you need. Then you could rig it to bend.

Another method would be to draw two circles ( or more) next to each other in the spline modeler and use the spring preset to wrap the circle sections around each other.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 05 February 2014 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  328
Joined  2003-10-09

Here is the figure, She’s shooting energy from her hands.  Right now I’m testing a ribbon like object that I have twist and bulge on.  I’m trying shaders first see if I can make it look cool, if not I will try textures, I’m also going to try a tube shaped object and see how that looks too.

Image Attachments
ShootTest.jpg
 Signature 

My Deviant Art Gallery- http://d-j-o.deviantart.com/gallery/

My Daz gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/183/

My Web Comic Holy Toledo http://dogst.com/

Posted: 07 February 2014 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  328
Joined  2003-10-09

Here is the fire blast.

It’s a tube with bulge and twist with a ball on the end with the explode modifier on it, it is with a cellular shader.

Image Attachments
Untitled-3.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-1.jpg
 Signature 

My Deviant Art Gallery- http://d-j-o.deviantart.com/gallery/

My Daz gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/183/

My Web Comic Holy Toledo http://dogst.com/

Posted: 08 February 2014 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1399
Joined  2011-01-03
Zawarkal - 02 February 2014 03:59 PM

But, someone could create a daz challenge with this theme… hint, hint, hint wink

D|S gets enough love and attention…  wink

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 08 February 2014 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Zawarkal - 03 February 2014 02:33 AM
Stezza - 03 February 2014 01:55 AM

You can download a demo of 8.1 from download.com

http://download.cnet.com/Carrara-8-Pro/3000-6677_4-10782148.html

that will kick start you off wink

yeah, but I make it a habit not to install demos as I do not like it when bad uninstalls create registry issues down the road

when I find it at a price I can manage then that will be the time I am supposed to have it, until then daz studio it is

perhaps I can make a hello goodbye themed unusual card image and submit to the pc challenge

Then run a virtual machine using Hyper-V or VMware. When you are finished with the demo, throw it away…no changes made to your regular computer.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 08 February 2014 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03

Got a late start again and my idea well is nearly completely empty.  sick oh oh

I’m pondering the idea of using Roger Zelazny’s Chronicle Of Amber series and the use of “Trumps” as a communication/transport device. I’m not sure that I’ll have the time needed…but I’ll try to come up with something.

Seriously, go read the first 5 books in that series - they are fairly short. The last 5 get very weird and I would rate them as optional.

Great theme idea BTW! I am looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 08 February 2014 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2007-06-22
Garstor - 08 February 2014 08:29 AM

Got a late start again and my idea well is nearly completely empty.  sick oh oh

I’m pondering the idea of using Roger Zelazny’s Chronicle Of Amber series and the use of “Trumps” as a communication/transport device. I’m not sure that I’ll have the time needed…but I’ll try to come up with something.

Seriously, go read the first 5 books in that series - they are fairly short. The last 5 get very weird and I would rate them as optional.

Great theme idea BTW! I am looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

Garstor, I was hoping that someone was inspired by Amber Tarot!  grin  This theme has endless possibilities, indeed.

Posted: 08 February 2014 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
MicioDue - 08 February 2014 09:40 AM

Garstor, I was hoping that someone was inspired by Amber Tarot!  grin  This theme has endless possibilities, indeed.

It is a tough idea to run with though…thinking of how to express the Trumps. Here is the link for others to learn about them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Amber#The_Trumps

Wikipedia is no replacement for reading the books though! smile

Working in a Carrara modifier is also giving me a moment of pause…

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 08 February 2014 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6026
Joined  2006-08-27
Garstor - 08 February 2014 09:59 AM
MicioDue - 08 February 2014 09:40 AM

It is a tough idea to run with though…thinking of how to express the Trumps. Here is the link for others to learn about them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Amber#The_Trumps

Wikipedia is no replacement for reading the books though! smile

Working in a Carrara modifier is also giving me a moment of pause…

I would recommend the spin modifier, but it may be hard to get across in a still image.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

3 of 9