The Carrara Challenge #7 begins!
The theme you long waited for is:
“CARDS FROM AN UNUSUAL DECK”
There are many card decks and many worlds hidden inside them, just waiting to be revealed. Classic French cards, Tarots, even modern trading game card decks can be your inspiration for this challenge, so unleash your imagination.
“Unusual” means that you can conceive any variations to the original subject and choose your own interpretation, by reworking classical card images or using a deck as main subject of your work. How unusual the deck, is up to you. You can focus on a single card, if you prefer.
I’ll give here few examples:
- an artistic reworking of one or more classical Tarots
- a fantasy scene featuring a witch while reading cards surrounded by spectral beings
- a spectacular Magic-like game where card-summoned monsters clash
- a dramatic scene where the actors are cards or card figures (remember “Alice’s adventures in Wonderland”? Off with their heads!)
- a poker game in an Old West or a Las Vegas scene with five aces on the table (not an usual deck, huh?)
and so on. Surely your imagination will go far beyond those examples, possibilities are endless!
Great news! DAZ 3D offers the most generous sponsorship in Carrara Challenge history so far, and PhilW is back as munificent sponsor, donating products from his store for the winners and for TWO Honourable Mentions!
- 1st Prize: DAZ 3D owned product up to $100, plus three items from PhilW Daz store
- 2nd Prize: DAZ 3D owned product up to $50, plus two items from PhilW Daz store
- 3rd Prize: DAZ 3D owned product up to $25, plus one item from PhilW Daz store
- Honourable Mentions: TWO entries chosen by PhilW will get an additional DAZ 3D owned product up to $10 and one item from PhilW Daz store
Thanks again for your generosity, DAZ 3D and PhilW!
1. All renders must be done in Carrara. The images must be specially created for this challenge and previously unpublished.
2. Each artist can post one or more entries, but only his/hers top placement will be counted for a prize.
3. At least 2 WIP (Work In Progress) images must be posted in this WIP thread. It could be a pre-render screen grab of the scene set-up. These contests aim to share Carrara knowledge and techniques, so all comments about your work are welcome.
4. Plug-ins and content use are allowed and welcome, but MUST be credited.
a. at least 2 different items in the scene must be created in Carrara, with you favorite native tool(s);
b. at least 2 different Carrara standard modifiers must be used in the Assemble Room. Bend, twist, bulge, explode… use Carrara modifiers power on you objects! Other modifiers installed by plug-ins can be used, in addition.
6. Postwork is allowed, but if you use postwork the raw render(s) that went into your postworked image MUST be posted in the WIP thread.
7. For each final entry you must specify:
a. the artist name;
b. the entry number (the number following the latest current entry);
c. the entry title;
d. the links to at least two WIPS in this thread;
e. if the entry is a clean Carrara render or if it has been postworked;
f. a description of the items and the modifiers used, according to rules 5a and 5b;
g. credits for the plug-ins and the content used, if any;
h. additional comments about your entry are optional and welcome.
1. This thread will change to “work in progress (WIP)” at 08:00 AM GMT on Monday the 3rd February 2014.
2. The final entry thread will open at 08:00 AM GMT on Monday the 17th February 2014.
3. All entries must be submitted before 11:00 PM GMT on Monday the 24th February 2014.
4. The final entry thread will change to voting thread after the submission deadline and the voting will begin.
5. The voting will run until 11:00 PM GMT on Monday the 3rd March.
1. You may choose up to 3 different entries for your votes. Please provide entry numbers for your choices. If you enter this challenge, you can’t vote for your own entries.
2. Each vote counts as ONE even if:
a. you choose less than 3 entries;
b. you express your personal preferences from 1st to 3rd.
3. You have 2 ways to cast your vote:
a. post a comment into this thread.
b. anonymously, by sending me a PM. I will not make your name public, but I will post your votes into the thread. Anonymous votes have additional restrictions:
i. You MUST contact me via PM with your Forum identity;
ii. You MUST provide comments about your selections. Providing comments is optional if you just vote by posting in this thread, but if you vote anonymously, the comments are mandatory;
iii. You CAN’T vote for the entries created by the host (MicioDue).
1. When the entry round is closed, all the votes cast according to the voting rules will define the final placements. The most voted entry will be the winner, the 2nd and the 3rd to follow. Challenge rule #2 applies if an author gets more than one entry among the first three.
2. If there is a tie, I will ask our great sponsor PhilW to break it.
3. The final word on the Honourable Mentions also belongs to our sponsor, PhilW.
4. The host (MicioDue) can’t get the 1st Place in this challenge. If so, 1st and 2nd place will automatically switch.
5. The person who wins this challenge should host the next one.
Current sponsor store
- PhilW: http://www.daz3d.com/philw
Previous sponsors stores
- RingoMonfort: http://www.daz3d.com/ringomonfort
- Age of Armour: http://www.daz3d.com/age-of-armour
- DimensionTheory: http://www.daz3d.com/dimensiontheory
- Dartanbeck: http://www.daz3d.com/dartanbeck
You can post any questions and comments here.
Come on board! so many rich prizes deserve a special challenge with many great renders, so unleash the full power of your Carraras and let the contest begin!