Digital Art Zone

1 of 9
Carrara Challenge #7:  “CARDS FROM AN UNUSUAL DECK”  - Work In Progress (WIP)
Posted: 01 February 2014 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2007-06-22

The Carrara Challenge #7 begins!

The theme you long waited for is:
“CARDS FROM AN UNUSUAL DECK”

There are many card decks and many worlds hidden inside them, just waiting to be revealed. Classic French cards, Tarots, even modern trading game card decks can be your inspiration for this challenge, so unleash your imagination.
“Unusual” means that you can conceive any variations to the original subject and choose your own interpretation, by reworking classical card images or using a deck as main subject of your work. How unusual the deck, is up to you. You can focus on a single card, if you prefer.
I’ll give here few examples:
- an artistic reworking of one or more classical Tarots
- a fantasy scene featuring a witch while reading cards surrounded by spectral beings
- a spectacular Magic-like game where card-summoned monsters clash
- a dramatic scene where the actors are cards or card figures (remember “Alice’s adventures in Wonderland”? Off with their heads!)
- a poker game in an Old West or a Las Vegas scene with five aces on the table (not an usual deck, huh?)
and so on. Surely your imagination will go far beyond those examples, possibilities are endless!

THE PRIZES

Great news! DAZ 3D offers the most generous sponsorship in Carrara Challenge history so far, and PhilW is back as munificent sponsor, donating products from his store for the winners and for TWO Honourable Mentions!
The prizes:

- 1st Prize: DAZ 3D owned product up to $100, plus three items from PhilW Daz store
- 2nd Prize: DAZ 3D owned product up to $50, plus two items from PhilW Daz store
- 3rd Prize: DAZ 3D owned product up to $25, plus one item from PhilW Daz store
- Honourable Mentions: TWO entries chosen by PhilW will get an additional DAZ 3D owned product up to $10 and one item from PhilW Daz store

Thanks again for your generosity, DAZ 3D and PhilW!

THE RULES

Challenge rules:
1. All renders must be done in Carrara. The images must be specially created for this challenge and previously unpublished.
2. Each artist can post one or more entries, but only his/hers top placement will be counted for a prize.
3. At least 2 WIP (Work In Progress) images must be posted in this WIP thread. It could be a pre-render screen grab of the scene set-up. These contests aim to share Carrara knowledge and techniques, so all comments about your work are welcome.
4. Plug-ins and content use are allowed and welcome, but MUST be credited.
5. Restrictions:
  a. at least 2 different items in the scene must be created in Carrara, with you favorite native tool(s);
  b. at least 2 different Carrara standard modifiers must be used in the Assemble Room. Bend, twist, bulge, explode… use Carrara modifiers power on you objects! Other modifiers installed by plug-ins can be used, in addition.
6. Postwork is allowed, but if you use postwork the raw render(s) that went into your postworked image MUST be posted in the WIP thread.
7. For each final entry you must specify:
  a. the artist name;
  b. the entry number (the number following the latest current entry);
  c. the entry title;
  d. the links to at least two WIPS in this thread;
  e. if the entry is a clean Carrara render or if it has been postworked;
  f. a description of the items and the modifiers used, according to rules 5a and 5b;
  g. credits for the plug-ins and the content used, if any;
  h. additional comments about your entry are optional and welcome.

Timing rules:
1. This thread will change to “work in progress (WIP)” at 08:00 AM GMT on Monday the 3rd February 2014.
2. The final entry thread will open at 08:00 AM GMT on Monday the 17th February 2014.
3. All entries must be submitted before 11:00 PM GMT on Monday the 24th February 2014.
4. The final entry thread will change to voting thread after the submission deadline and the voting will begin.
5. The voting will run until 11:00 PM GMT on Monday the 3rd March.

Voting rules:
1. You may choose up to 3 different entries for your votes. Please provide entry numbers for your choices. If you enter this challenge, you can’t vote for your own entries.
2. Each vote counts as ONE even if:
  a. you choose less than 3 entries;
  b. you express your personal preferences from 1st to 3rd.
3. You have 2 ways to cast your vote:
  a. post a comment into this thread.
  b. anonymously, by sending me a PM. I will not make your name public, but I will post your votes into the thread. Anonymous votes have additional restrictions: 
  i. You MUST contact me via PM with your Forum identity;
  ii. You MUST provide comments about your selections. Providing comments is optional if you just vote by posting in this thread, but if you vote anonymously, the comments are mandatory;
  iii. You CAN’T vote for the entries created by the host (MicioDue).

Winning rules:
1. When the entry round is closed, all the votes cast according to the voting rules will define the final placements. The most voted entry will be the winner, the 2nd and the 3rd to follow. Challenge rule #2 applies if an author gets more than one entry among the first three.
2. If there is a tie, I will ask our great sponsor PhilW to break it.
3. The final word on the Honourable Mentions also belongs to our sponsor, PhilW.
4. The host (MicioDue) can’t get the 1st Place in this challenge. If so, 1st and 2nd place will automatically switch.
5. The person who wins this challenge should host the next one.

USEFUL LINKS:

Current sponsor store
- PhilW: http://www.daz3d.com/philw

Previous sponsors stores
- RingoMonfort: http://www.daz3d.com/ringomonfort
- Age of Armour: http://www.daz3d.com/age-of-armour
- DimensionTheory: http://www.daz3d.com/dimensiontheory
- Dartanbeck: http://www.daz3d.com/dartanbeck

You can post any questions and comments here.

Come on board! so many rich prizes deserve a special challenge with many great renders, so unleash the full power of your Carraras and let the contest begin!

Posted: 01 February 2014 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5266
Joined  2006-08-27

I was beginning to wonder if you had forgot about us! wink

Thank you for hosting this. Thanks also to PhilW and DAZ 3D for their very generous support!

I’m pretty busy, but I will do my best to get at least one entry into this challenge.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 01 February 2014 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2006-05-21

That’s a pretty good challenge !

Signature 

http://stusutcliffe.blogspot.co.uk/

Posted: 01 February 2014 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2019
Joined  2008-01-28

fantastic work MicioDue!

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 01 February 2014 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1130
Joined  2005-04-12

A great idea for the theme and thanks for leading the way in putting this challenge together (and for getting DAZ to increase the prizes!).

Posted: 01 February 2014 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2003-10-09

MicioDue,
1) Thanks for taking on the leadership role.
2) “CARDS FROM AN UNUSUAL DECK” is a wonderful theme.
3)  Great idea to require the use of modifiers.  Sometimes I am so focused on vertex modeling that I forget that a lot can be accomplished with the modifiers.
4) THE PRIZES from DAZ – wow!  I could clear my wish list with first prize.

PhilW,
- Two Honorable Mentions – very generous once again, thank you.

To my fellow participants
- I’m not just going to be an entry to fill out the field.  I’m in it to win it!  OK, I’m in it for the fun of it – but I’m planning on winning this one because I’ve had my eye on some more PhilW products. 

Consider a gauntlet thrown down.  Where is the emoticon for grim determination?

Posted: 01 February 2014 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
diomede64 - 01 February 2014 05:52 PM

Consider a gauntlet thrown down.  Where is the emoticon for grim determination?

I tried to make one with the DAZ Emotiguy, but it just looked like he needed to take a dump and was somewhat angry about it. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 01 February 2014 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Here is a quick playing card soldier model created in the vertex modeler.  I can see that the card shape is going to make editing bone influences very tedious.  I found the Bicycle ace of spades image on the web.

Keep telling myself, grim determination, grim determination.

Image Attachments
card_soldier_bone_influences.JPGcard_soldier_rendered.JPG

Posted: 01 February 2014 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  816
Joined  2010-05-08

Wow, now this is an exciting challenge! But, but, but…noooo, no Carrara here :(

Signature 

IF is the Life of Matter ~ UTO

Posted: 02 February 2014 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Since the requirement is related to modifiers, I’ll show how I am making the spear from a primitive cylinder.  I applied a bulge modifier and a taper modifier.  I used the limits functions to limit the modifiers to the spear point.  I then shaded the cylinder using a blender to create different colors for the shaft and the point.  I used the elevation function with “local” setting.

Image Attachments
spear_modifiers.JPGspear_shader.JPGspear_render.JPG

Posted: 02 February 2014 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Zawarkal - 01 February 2014 11:56 PM

It’s not to late to buy it! wink

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2014 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-22
evilproducer - 02 February 2014 06:11 AM

Yes, and I see a huge 48% discount for Carrara Pro in the store, 69% for Platinum Club members! gulp

A good opportunity to become a Carrara artist, indeed. smile

Posted: 02 February 2014 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-22

I’m glad to see you all like the new theme and, once again, a big thank to PhilW for his valuable support in this new challenge. smile

Please, folks, hold you creativity until Monday! When this thread will change from “announcing” to “WIP” you’ll be free to post, until then we are here for all comments and clarifications before starting.

Posted: 02 February 2014 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
MicioDue - 02 February 2014 07:36 AM

I’m glad to see you all like the new theme and, once again, a big thank to PhilW for his valuable support in this new challenge. smile

Please, folks, hold you creativity until Monday! When this thread will change from “announcing” to “WIP” you’ll be free to post, since then we are here for all comments and clarifications before starting.

Yup,
“Timing rules:
1. This thread will change to “work in progress (WIP)” at 08:00 AM GMT on Monday the 3rd February 2014.”

Says it right there.

Sorry.

(I’ve already made spade and heart symbols in the spline modeler to make my own card faces.  I’m bringing it this time.  100% Carrara and 100% improved!)

Posted: 02 February 2014 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-06-22
diomede64 - 02 February 2014 07:42 AM

Yup,
“Timing rules:
1. This thread will change to “work in progress (WIP)” at 08:00 AM GMT on Monday the 3rd February 2014.”

Says it right there.

Sorry.

(I’ve already made spade and heart symbols in the spline modeler to make my own card faces.  I’m bringing it this time.  100% Carrara and 100% improved!)

diomede64, I really appreciate your enthusiasm, I’m sure you’ll do a great work! grin

Posted: 02 February 2014 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  816
Joined  2010-05-08
MicioDue - 02 February 2014 07:09 AM
evilproducer - 02 February 2014 06:11 AM

Yes, and I see a huge 48% discount for Carrara Pro in the store, 69% for Platinum Club members! gulp

A good opportunity to become a Carrara artist, indeed. smile

I’ve been under a tight budget. I’m going to have to start winning some challenges using Daz if I’m ever going to get Carrara.

But, someone could create a daz challenge with this theme… hint, hint, hint wink

Signature 

IF is the Life of Matter ~ UTO

1 of 9