Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Importing buildings into Bryce
Posted: 07 February 2014 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3648
Joined  2004-10-01

@Bruce - nice work on the buildings. Thank you for sharing them!

@ttucky - you could do this in HTML with the MAP tag. There is an example on my website (see sig). Go to Astronomy > Sun-Dials. You can click on the individual sun-dials and get more information.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 08 February 2014 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1589
Joined  2011-09-25

@Bruce:  Those are really nice buildings.  And the church is really looking nice, would like to see it again when you’ve finished.

I showed this church to others on another site, and it occurred to me it would be good if they saw it before I put it back together.  The first image is how this .3ds church imported into Bryce.  The second image is another different material on the church.  While this material obscures some of the church features, I think it does look rather nice.  Especially with a different roof material.

Image Attachments
Church_Exploded.pngChurch_12.png
 Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 08 February 2014 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1677
Joined  2007-12-10
GussNemo - 08 February 2014 11:29 AM

@Bruce:  Those are really nice buildings.  And the church is really looking nice, would like to see it again when you’ve finished.

I showed this church to others on another site, and it occurred to me it would be good if they saw it before I put it back together.  The first image is how this .3ds church imported into Bryce.  The second image is another different material on the church.  While this material obscures some of the church features, I think it does look rather nice.  Especially with a different roof material.

A thought occurred to me (always dangerous when that happens).
The other day I imported a sketchup model and as I was re-matting it in Bryce I needed to move one component. When I ungrouped the model and tried to rotate it on it’s Y axis, it didn’t rotate around it’s center. I got Attributes and clicked Show Origin Handle and for whatever reason it was well away from it’s own center.

So my thought is: I wonder if you can ungroup the church then by selecting each component click Show Origin Handle to see if they have a common center. If that is the case, you should be able to just set each origin to 0, 0, 0 and it will put itself back together.
I can’t test that at the moment because I’m on with a long render, but it may be worth checking out Guss.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 08 February 2014 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@Dave:  That’s an idea I’d never have come up with, what with my limited experience.  You’ve made me curious with that idea, so much so I’m going to give it a try.  If this works it’ll be quicker than trying to reassemble without instructions.

EDIt:  Nice idea, Dave, but no go.  Each of the pieces I looked at has its own Origin Point.  I even tried zeroing a few pieces to the main part of the church but ended up repositioning those pieces.  I have a couple of other .3ds formatted buildings which also import out of skew, I’ll give your idea a try with them.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.

Posted: 09 February 2014 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  132
Joined  2005-08-28

Hi Folks;

Just a little update on the church model design - Still a WIP as I notice a few things I want to address yet like the sides of the buildings which are just a bit too white. In certain lighting it just washes out and even the lines of the siding just disappear. Also I may have to redo the handicap ramp from scratch as it is one of the few Booleans I made and I am not overly fond of the texture of the wood. Shows up a bit too much even at a distance.

Luckily most of this model is just grouped so far so it can be modified yet as needed—Thought when I set it up as an OBP freebie I may offer it in two versions - a static Boolean and a grouped model so end users can modify what they want. I still have a few things I want to add or change such as taking the static front door and making it into an opening door showing a foyer just inside to add to usefulness to end users. Thought for the scene sample I created with it, the doors just opening with wedding couple just coming out would have been nice???

Any comments, suggestions, harsh words, always appreciated.  First is just the stand alone model WIP and in the second image I call Waiting on the Bride and Groom I created a little scene of a photographer waiting outside for wedding to end. ( Having done wedding photos myself back in the day, I would not be outside like this waiting, but needed to add this to give more to the scene )

Hope all are having a great weekend.

Bruce

Image Attachments
Church_Design_WIP.jpgWaiting_On_The_Bride_and_Groom.jpg
 Signature 

Fan-atic over Bryce, DAZ Studio, Paint Shop Pro and my Photography
My Bryce Freebies http://www.sharecg.com/goshtac
My Art & Photography Web Site:    http://www.goshtac.com/
My Renderosity Hangout: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?userid=381287

cool smile   Bruce Davey /  aka GOSHTAC

Posted: 11 February 2014 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

Tried the other .3ds models I had and as with the church, each piece has its own Origin Point.

@Bruce:  Were I to advise someone who creates models I’d give them the following suggestions after fighting with some free models:

1.  Put a proper name to each and every piece in the model.  “Leg 1”, “Slab 2”, etc. does not tell me what it is or WHERE it goes.

2.  Two or more pieces which create one part should be grouped and properly labeled.

3.  Group the entire model when it’s completed.  Nothing worse than trying to resize a model only to have a few pieces stay the original size.  Or location.

4.  Offer it in as many formats as possible.  Even though a program is able to import several formats, that doesn’t mean the model will import in its original saved shape.

And btw, Bruce, love what you’ve done with that church.

Signature 

2 of 2