Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Importing buildings into Bryce
Posted: 01 February 2014 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1781
Joined  2011-09-25

I’ve tried importing both 3ds and dae formatted building into Bryce, but with limited success.  The 3ds formats have imported with a few pieces out of place to a bunch of pieces out of place.  And the dae formatted buildings import without added textures; the textures are in a separate folder from the model.

So, is there a secret to importing 3ds and dae formated building so they look like they’re supposed to?

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 01 February 2014 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3824
Joined  2004-10-01

@GussNemo - I don’t remember having used DAE files yet, SKP I have. 3DS usually work fine with Bryce, I used this format before I started using OBJ. As for 3DS, have you tried to group the building before you exported it?

I know that Bryce complains if it cannot find the textures when importing from OBJ format and you can point to the location where they are stored. If the materials (jpg images) are saved in another folder as you experience with DAE, try to put model and images into the same folder. In such cases, I create a temporary folder and throw everything in it.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 01 February 2014 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17049
Joined  2003-10-09

Some models that have been offered as 3DS do tend to blow apart. I guess they are done by someone who doesn’t know how to make 3DS files for any other program but the one they are made in.  Often it is freebies that do it.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 01 February 2014 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@Horo:  I’ve had a couple of 3DS models which imported correctly into Bryce.  The rest have bits and pieces scattered about.  One nice looking church I found was blown completely apart when imported into Bryce.  I don’t think it’s worth the time to try and reassemble it since I don’t have a detailed picture to go by.  It isn’t exporting that’s the problem, it’s importing the 3DS models.  I don’t have any control over them until I import them into Bryce, providing they import correctly.

@Pam:  So far in my hunts I’ve not found any .obj building models.  Everything seems to be either 3DS, dae, or something other than .obj.  It would be nice if those who create these models offered more variety in formats, but that’s very limited.  Also, I’d like to see these same folks learn how to group their pieces so first floor windows, as an example, are only the first floor windows.  Not being part of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors.  And yeah, what I’ve been downloading are freebies.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.

Posted: 01 February 2014 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2009-07-24

I don’t have time currently but a possible solution might be to bring it into Meshbox (it’s free - Google it) and export it as OBJ from that. When I have time I will report back.

Signature 

Someone please tell me what is so great about this century.

Posted: 02 February 2014 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

Thanks for the information, Dino.  I’ll look into it when time permits.

Signature 

Posted: 03 February 2014 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  877
Joined  2008-11-26

Guss – I also use freebies and always have problems when importing obj, dae or 3ds, besides the fact that some fall apart, the 3ds and dae never come in with the materials although I have everything in the same folder.

The only ones that are imported nicely are the flowers and fishes I downloaded from here:

http://www.toucan.co.jp/3DCGE.html

To apply the materials, I select the objects Ctrl+Click near the one I want to select – (Horo’s advice) and give the ones which are similar and I want to apply the same material a family color (Dave’s advice). I’m still working on a colosseum which I started months ago. It’s a dae

3Dbar.net has some nice buildings but I have not used anything from there except for a mini which is another ongoing WIP

I think I will also look into Mesh lab. Thanks Dino for mentioning it.

Posted: 03 February 2014 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@mermaid:  When I unzip the dae files two folders are created.  One is for the actual model, the other for the material.  The models have so far imported upside down and without material.  If I right the model then try to apply the material, as I did to one model, the material is then upside down.  Righting the material wasn’t a real problem, after I figured out it was upside down, but it then just looked like a 2D picture.  Even on the model it still looked 2D.

I like the look of the 3ds models when imported, just not the time some will take to reassemble.  And the church I imported, without the instruction sheet, reassembly isn’t possible.  No, the only format which doesn’t cause problems is .obj, and unless the program Dino mentioned will allow 3ds to be saved, or exported as .obj, many good looking 3ds models will be left where I find them.

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2014 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-26

Guss - I’m hoping the Mesh lab will work too, as I use only freebies. I will try to download it soon.

Posted: 05 February 2014 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

I finally found a place where I could download Meshbox, several versions really, but only one seemed to work.  I say seemed until I imported one of the converted models into Bryce.  It was an .obj file, but still blown apart.  I don’t know if the original file had an exploded model or if it occurred during downloading.  And one of the converted models was missing both end walls, where it didn’t originally.  For what I want, Meshbox doesn’t seem to work.

I Googled again for other file converters and found Ivcon 3D Conversion, but haven’t tried it yet.  On a forum someone asked how to convert a graphic file and someone suggested, are you ready for this, Wings 3d.  Well, that would make sense because Wings can import .3ds and export .obj.

I imported the exploded, freebie, church into Wings and saw it wasn’t as bad a reconstruction as I first thought.  So I spend a couple of days, off and on, putting it back together, and imported it into Bryce to add material and render it.  Below is the result.

Image Attachments
Church_4.png
 Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2014 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-26

Guss - I don’t know why I thought about Mesh Lab when Dino was referring to Meshbox.

It’s cool that Wings 3D can do the job.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted: 06 February 2014 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2005-08-28

Hi Guss

I know it can be frustrating to get some buildings at times to work in Bryce. I don’t know exactly what you are looking for, but over the years I have posted a few Bryce specific OBP format buildings in my portfolio at ShareCG in case there is anything there that can help.

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=goshtac

Bruce

Just an example of some building models below I have uploaded as freebies.

Image Attachments
Building_Preview.jpg
 Signature 

Fan-atic over Bryce, DAZ Studio, Paint Shop Pro and my Photography
My Bryce Freebies http://www.sharecg.com/goshtac
My Art & Photography Web Site:    http://www.goshtac.com/
My Renderosity Hangout: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?userid=381287

cool smile   Bruce Davey /  aka GOSHTAC

Posted: 06 February 2014 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-26

These are lovely Thanks Bruce

Posted: 06 February 2014 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2005-08-28

Hey Guss;

I think you started something - ( I guess one more Iron in the Fire won’t matter ) wink  You got me thinking when I saw the church model you had rendered and decided it was time for a new building model for a Bryce Freebie.

This is just a WIP at this time, but you gave me some inspiration to play around with a modern church design. Still need to make a bell, lay a foundation, do some steps, etc. But wanted to show you this and get your input on it. Once done I will save it as a Bryce OBP preset so members of the Bryce community can play with it if they so desire. ( Model is external only - No insides)

Bruce

Image Attachments
Church_WIP.jpg
 Signature 

Fan-atic over Bryce, DAZ Studio, Paint Shop Pro and my Photography
My Bryce Freebies http://www.sharecg.com/goshtac
My Art & Photography Web Site:    http://www.goshtac.com/
My Renderosity Hangout: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?userid=381287

cool smile   Bruce Davey /  aka GOSHTAC

Posted: 07 February 2014 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2014-02-07

I do have a questions as a bit of a follow-up to this thread. Once I load an .obj file into Bryce (or DAZ Studio) is it possible to annotate that object or have it as part of an interactive environment. For example, I have a church .obj file and what I would like to do is have when someone clicks on the stained glass windows have a dialog appear with more information about the window, the scene it depicts, etc… Additionally, have people as well, have them performing a certain task and describe what is going on. Is that possible within these products?

Posted: 07 February 2014 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17049
Joined  2003-10-09
ttucky - 07 February 2014 01:35 PM

I do have a questions as a bit of a follow-up to this thread. Once I load an .obj file into Bryce (or DAZ Studio) is it possible to annotate that object or have it as part of an interactive environment. For example, I have a church .obj file and what I would like to do is have when someone clicks on the stained glass windows have a dialog appear with more information about the window, the scene it depicts, etc… Additionally, have people as well, have them performing a certain task and describe what is going on. Is that possible within these products?

I would think that what you are looking for there is some sort of multi-media authoring tool, not a 3d program as such.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

1 of 2