Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Licenced characters and products from other Companies [FICTIONAL]
Posted: 07 July 2012 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  321
Joined  2009-04-30

To make things clear, before you post here: The idea behind this thread is pure fiction. I don’t have any information from DAZ, that they have plans for licenced products from other companies.

A few days ago I found a free 3D character model, which looks like a very famous Mouse from the Toonworld. I know that I can use this character only for my private use and for that reason I don’t show any pictures that I’ve made with this character.

But an idea came in my mind ... what, if DAZ acquire a licence to sell characters from Disney for example. I would immedialty buy a Micky Mouse, based on Genesis. Imagine what one could do. Micky in the Supersuit? Could look like the one on the picture below.

Or what if DAZ get the licence from DC or Marvel to sell authorizeded characters or textures for the SuperSuit?

We all know, that DAZ sell with “Reby Sky” a licenced product. From that point is my idea not so unreal as it maybe first sounds.

I would like to know, what you think about the idea? Would you pay for licenced characters from other companies to use in DAZ or Poser?

Image Attachments
tron-mickey-01.jpg
 Signature 

www.toon-fashion.de

Posted: 07 July 2012 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9257
Joined  2007-11-06

Poll removed - we aren’t sure why polls are enabled, they weren’t on the old forums, but it isn’t the intent that they should be there

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 07 July 2012 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  321
Joined  2009-04-30
fixmypcmike - 07 July 2012 11:40 AM

Poll removed - we aren’t sure why polls are enabled, they weren’t on the old forums, but it isn’t the intent that they should be there

How want you know, what your customers thing and want when you don’t allow polls? Makes it a difference, if a poll was started by a user or by an admin. How should we vote for our wanted items in the annual DAZ celebrations??? Can I now report any polls, with a quote of this post?

Signature 

www.toon-fashion.de

Posted: 07 July 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16726
Joined  2003-10-09

That won’t be neccesary as we find them and remove them ourselves.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 07 July 2012 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

On Topic. Yes I would buy and use licensed items if Daz had them. Disney and Marvel and DC especialy. That would be great fun.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 07 July 2012 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  963
Joined  2006-06-12

Polls aren’t supposed to be enabled?
You do know that polls are useful and not outlawed in other forums on the web.

ohh

Signature 

There is a serious tendency toward capitalism among the well-to-do peasants.
Mao Tse-Tung

Posted: 07 July 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2007
Joined  2011-07-31

I would buy if at a reasonable price and would work with Genesis.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

Posted: 07 July 2012 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8207
Joined  2009-07-13

better remove this one then red face
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/472/
not that anyone reads it anyway!!! tongue rolleye

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 07 July 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1287
Joined  2008-03-30

Is that a valid reason, just because they wern’t on the old forum, Polls are wonderful things, Peeps use them all the time on DA, another ART site. smile

I think DAZ should have a rethink, people here have used them and seem to enjoy them, I can’t see a problem.

Signature 

[Join the little green box collection party!]
Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

Posted: 07 July 2012 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1868
Joined  2005-12-31

I doubt if I would by licenced characters. The primary reason would be cost. If (and that is a huge if) they were willing to licence them the cost to DAZ up front would be super high. Since this market is so small spreading that cost around would tack on a fair bit to any products.

Posted: 07 July 2012 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  554
Joined  2007-01-20

I have nothing against Batman, the X-Men,  Pluto & Mickey, or the like, but I’d rather see original content that doesn’t have oppressive usage restrictions.  I’m not paying to do fan-fiction or wall posters.  I don’t necessarily use everything I buy for commercial purposes but just about everything I have can be used in the creation of art and models for sale (depending on whether it a texture, render, or merchant resource).

Personally, I rarely even download a 3D freebie that has restrictions on commercial use (especially with respect to renders).

That s just me though.  I don’t like movie remakes and music remixes either.

BTW: I DO think polls should be allowed.  People enjoy them; they are useful; and they don’t hurt anything as far as I know.  What’s the rationale for disabling or deleting them?

Posted: 07 July 2012 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1480
Joined  2006-07-04

For me, it would depend highly on the property being licensed, and what the product was.

I’ve done some fan art just for fun, but I don’t do it enough for me to spend large amounts of money on it.  That said, I might not mind shelling out for, say, a licensed Firefly model, or a set of Hogwarts uniforms approved by JKR (I know Poserworld has a Movie-verse inspired set), or perhaps (and probably more affordable/possible) a commercial texture set for Luthbel’s Way of the Samurai using the official mons from AEG’s Legend of the Five rings card game/RPG. 

I’m a gamer, so when I do fan work, I tend to do original stories/characters set in other people’s sandboxes, rather than using the characters themselves.  So while SAV’s Yanis keeps winking at me from my wish list, I don’t see myself doing any pictures of Captain Jack Sparrow (for example).

Signature 

DAZ Gallery * * *DA Gallery

Posted: 07 July 2012 04:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  394
Joined  2004-08-13
3DProclivity - 07 July 2012 02:31 PM

I have nothing against Batman, the X-Men,  Pluto & Mickey, or the like, but I’d rather see original content that doesn’t have oppressive usage restrictions.  I’m not paying to do fan-fiction or wall posters.  I don’t necessarily use everything I buy for commercial purposes but just about everything I have can be used in the creation of art and models for sale (depending on whether it a texture, render, or merchant resource).

Personally, I rarely even download a 3D freebie that has restrictions on commercial use (especially with respect to renders).

That s just me though.  I don’t like movie remakes and music remixes either.

BTW: I DO think polls should be allowed.  People enjoy them; they are useful; and they don’t hurt anything as far as I know.  What’s the rationale for disabling or deleting them?

Yes, I think licensed stuff would very likely have some very strong restrictions on use.  I don’t imagine Disney permitting Mickey to be used in commercial renders that advertise totally unrelated products, for instance.

I’m the same with the freebies.  I understand why a creator might apply that restriction. But it does make the item less useful for me, and I don’t want the trouble of keeping track of which items I can use and which I can’t for different projects.

Posted: 07 July 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12063
Joined  2007-11-06

...I think it’s more fun and challenging to try and create a certain character than to have one premade.  Now granted, toon based characters are not as easy to morph from a standard model like say Vicky or Mike (or even genesis) as say comic book heroes/villains or RL celebs,

I have no trouble with not allowing a licenced character to be used in a commercial render without the proper permissions (which usually come with a price tag attached). After all, Micky, Donald, Shrek, Buzz Lightyear, etc. are still responsible for a good part of Disney’s income as are Iron Man, Spidey, Wolverine, and the Hulk for Marvel.

However, I also remember the flap (sorry) over a certain WWII bomber model that was offered a couple years ago.  Not only was the aircraft decommissioned and obsolete, but the company which built it was no longer in business.  Apparently another firm which bought the original builder still laid claim to the plans and aircraft’s designation/name, even though they have no intention of ever building another one of this type again, and subsequently forced the modeller. to pull it from circulation.  Even myself (who is an avid fan of classic aircraft and pretty much stays up to date on aerospace industry trends and news) was unaware of the acquisition.

So one has to be very careful out there when offering a new model/mesh of an existing item or character for distribution even if it is flagged “not for commercial use”.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 07 July 2012 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1801
Joined  2012-04-14

It would depend on what the product was/who the character was as to whether I would buy or not. There is obviously a market for it with all those character morphs that are made to look like famous people.

Posted: 07 July 2012 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8798
Joined  2004-07-21

I thought Shrek was dreamworks not Disney.

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Play Runescape

1 of 3