Digital Art Zone

1 of 6
Bryce 7 compatible with mac lion
Posted: 07 July 2012 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2004-11-12

Is Bryce 7 ever going to be compatible with lion? With Mountain Lion being released soon Mac users would appreciate an upfront answer so we can move on with our software decisions. Not corporate spin. This holding pattern is getting old.  A.  No we will never support Mac OS after 10.6 or B.  Our projected date will be ?????? (please be realistic).
I posed this same question in January (7 mo).

Thank You

Posted: 07 July 2012 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17130
Joined  2003-10-09

DAZ_BFurner did state in one of his posts that as soon as Bryce comes back into the dev cycle then they would be working on getting the OS X Lion compliance into B7. However we still do not have a time scale for this.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/2603/#33731

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 07 July 2012 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2005-07-27

So does this explain why my fresh install of Bryce on my new Macbook Pro Retina simply “unexpectedly quits” every time I try to launch?  I didn’t realize Bryce was this far behind the other programs in development and support.  Any extra info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 07 July 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Bryce 7 currently doesn’t work with OS X Lion. This is highlighted in tthe tech specs.

http://www.daz3d.com/products/bryce/bryce-tech-specs/

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge

Posted: 08 July 2012 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2004-11-12

Agreed stated in your tech specs but, considering the newest versions of bryce were always for Mac first PC second why would anyone check the specs when you upgraded your mac? There should be a disclaimer on Bryce site that it is not compatible to Lion not just in tech specs. This is very important piece of information and it feels like it was hidden in those 5pt disclaimers on the back of a form say we are not responsible for anything.  I understand about your dev cycle but it has been months and still nothing not even a glimmer that this issue will even be resolved.

Posted: 09 July 2012 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  931
Joined  2003-10-09
sstamates - 08 July 2012 08:07 PM

Agreed stated in your tech specs but, considering the newest versions of bryce were always for Mac first PC second why would anyone check the specs when you upgraded your mac? There should be a disclaimer on Bryce site that it is not compatible to Lion not just in tech specs. This is very important piece of information and it feels like it was hidden in those 5pt disclaimers on the back of a form say we are not responsible for anything.  I understand about your dev cycle but it has been months and still nothing not even a glimmer that this issue will even be resolved.

Because things happen. The reason why Bryce 7 is not working with OSX Lion is because as I recall OSX Lion came out after Bryce 7 Pro was released. Then as I also understand it Daz was trying to address it so it could issue an update but then Daz lost their Bryce/MAC guy. Without him they were essentially dead in the water and so for the current developement cycle a MAC solution for Bryce was shelved. Since it has been stated that next developement cycle they’ll be working on it again I would take that to mean Daz has aquired a new Bryce/MAC guy?

In the meantime I’ve heard of two solutions that allow you to run a windows like environment to run Bryce 7 in on a MAC with OSX Lion. However since I know next to nothing about MAC’s I’ll just leave it at that rather then suggest further other then to suggest you look more through the forum as it was here that I’ve seen people talk about these solutions.

Posted: 10 July 2012 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2004-06-23
chohole - 07 July 2012 11:11 AM

Bryce 7 currently doesn’t work with OS X Lion. This is highlighted in tthe tech specs.

http://www.daz3d.com/products/bryce/bryce-tech-specs/

Yeah the only down side to that was that was not in the specs when Lion came out and I upgraded on the first day.  it was like two months later that it was added.  I might not have upgraded because I love this program.

Oh well, not the first time I have had to wait for Bryce to be updated since I have been with Bryce since v2.  LOL!!

JH

Posted: 10 July 2012 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I have one friend whot has installed Bryce in BootCamp.  There is someone else who has posted in this forum somewhere, who has it running under paralells, and even someone running it in Virtual Box.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2012 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2005-09-05

“One” guy to rev your software for Mac? One guy? Wow. OK, I guess I can understand it if you give the software away, but hey, I don’t know about anyone else, but I would pay real money if I could get a copy of Bryce that didn’t crash, overload, freakout, and came with regular updates. (Like real software does.) Now there’s an idea: create great software so people will pay money for it. Then you could hire two guys.

But seriously, why not do a survey and ask Bryce owners how much they would be willing to pay for a solid version of Bryce? Heck, do a Kickstarter for that matter. Then fix the dam thing.angry

Bryce was my best friend. Just couldn’t keep using it.

Posted: 26 July 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2011-11-06
chohole - 10 July 2012 01:32 PM

I have one friend whot has installed Bryce in BootCamp.  There is someone else who has posted in this forum somewhere, who has it running under paralells, and even someone running it in Virtual Box.

I think i’ll give ‘Boot Camp’ a try. I started with Bryce on Vista, loved Bryce, but hated losing everything when Vista froze-up. Then loaded Bryce onto 7. Still loved Bryce, but hated 7 even more than Vista.
I finally saved enough to get a Mac and refuse to have any form of Windows on my Mac-book. I love not having to worry about viruses and malware.

P.S.- I wonder if an experienced Bryce user and scripted could give DAZ a hand, for a price of course, but some of the OT’s should know how to help.smile

Posted: 28 July 2012 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2005-05-07

Same here, I taught Bryce to my students for years now.  School updated to Lion, and to the newer Bryce seven. Nothing. I will have to stick to Poser for now.  What a pain…..  :(

Posted: 12 September 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-09-11

Hi People,

Although it seems as the native support for Bryce 7 on Lion / Mountain Lion maybe sometime away. The use of Parallels 8 and Windows 7 definitely provides a seamless and very efficient environment to work in.

I will admit that I am an absolute noob when it comes to Bryce. I installed Parallels 8 and created a Windows 7 PC that is integrated into the MacOS (not via a window) and from there I installed Bryce7.1, Studio4.5, Hexagon2 and all the freely downloadable addons. In the attached screen shot I have all my normal Mac apps running and also have the 3 DAZ3D applications loaded (I have a 17” i7 MBP with 16GB).

My 2c Worth.

Cheers.

Image Attachments
DAZ3D_Apps_on_Mountain_Lion_via_Parallels_8.png

Posted: 24 September 2012 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-01-20

Haha, ok, that probably should of been something they put in LARGE writing on the Bryce page considering many creative ppl use Macs & most use up-to-date version of the OS. Let’s hope everyone hasn’t migrated elsewhere by the time they pull their finger out & get it running again.

That’ll learn me to read the fine print & save myself 3 days of stuffing around wink

Posted: 24 September 2012 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
scart69 - 24 September 2012 06:09 AM

Haha, ok, that probably should of been something they put in LARGE writing on the Bryce page considering many creative ppl use Macs & most use up-to-date version of the OS. Let’s hope everyone hasn’t migrated elsewhere by the time they pull their finger out & get it running again.

That’ll learn me to read the fine print & save myself 3 days of stuffing around wink

Oh sure, yeah they should just assume nobody reads anything like specs, requirements and the like. They should just assume everyone just haphazardly downloads things not knowing for sure if it will work or not unless you beat them over the head with a warning that a blind man couldn’t miss rolleyes

Posted: 26 September 2012 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2006-02-25
lghtstrm - 16 July 2012 02:52 PM

“One” guy to rev your software for Mac? One guy? Wow. OK, I guess I can understand it if you give the software away, but hey, I don’t know about anyone else, but I would pay real money if I could get a copy of Bryce that didn’t crash, overload, freakout, and came with regular updates. (Like real software does.) Now there’s an idea: create great software so people will pay money for it. Then you could hire two guys.

But seriously, why not do a survey and ask Bryce owners how much they would be willing to pay for a solid version of Bryce? Heck, do a Kickstarter for that matter. Then fix the dam thing.angry

I agree with you . I paid to have a full Bryce app to work on my Mac . Now, i can’t anymore . It’s very sad to notice Daz throwed away some of their Bryce fans .

Posted: 26 September 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Yannich - 26 September 2012 08:03 AM
lghtstrm - 16 July 2012 02:52 PM

I agree with you . I paid to have a full Bryce app to work on my Mac . Now, i can’t anymore . It’s very sad to notice Daz throwed away some of their Bryce fans .

You must like being sad to make up reasons to be sad. Daz didn’t throw away Bryce Fans. They just found themselves in a situation they couldn’t prevent. I’ll explain to you the progression but like others you’ll probably dismiss it or automatically conclude Daz shouldn’t have allowed it. Okay now before we start I feel compelled to point out that Bryce intially was the creation of some very creative and ingenius people. Not the kind of people that can easily be found to hire and when you do find them they typically want more money then God because they know they are creative Geniuses. Also the core of Bryce was built around Mac base code that Apple gave up on. So really it’s Apple that has created the situation where Bryce doesn’t work this is proven by the fact that you can run Bryce 7 pro on a Mac machine if you use bootstrap or parallels so you can run the Windows version which people who tried it rather then sitting around crying about how mean Daz is, say works perfectly. I know I know, you didn’t buy a Mac to run Windows but for now that’s the only way to get Bryce running on a Mac.

The situation is this Daz had only one guy able to work with the outdated Apple code in Bryce and also able to understand Bryce enough to take it in the direction Bryce 7 was going. Now in spite of what many people think Daz is not that big and that wealthy of a company. I’ve seen others scoff at the idea that Daz had only one guy qualified to make Bryce work on Macs. Fact is that development programmers cost quite a bit of money. So much so that often times they don’t get hired on as a permanent employees but rather they contract themselves out for periods of time and then move on to the next project. That’s what happened at Daz. Bryce was finished before Lion was released, it worked on the previous version of the Mac OS, the contract was up. So Bryce was removed from the current developement cycle and the guy that could fix the problem moved on. Then Apple released Lion which had given up on the part of their OS that allowed the old Apple code in Bryce to still work on Macs. So Bryce for Mac was dead in the water and Daz couldn’t do anything because the guy capable of fixing it had moved on to his next contract. So it was decided to keep it shelved thru the next developement cycle until they could get someone in qualified to fix it. Which they have and it’s been announced already that Daz’s top priority for Bryce is to get it working on the latest Mac OS.

Clearly if it was Daz’s intent to throw away all the Bryce Fans running Macs they wouldn’t be contracting someone to come back and fix the problem. Sorry if it’s not fast enough for you but either be mad at Daz customers for not buying enough product to give Daz more money to work with in developement, some of whom then turn around and give Daz product away for free (which is illegal but a very real issue) or be mad at the developement programmers that charge an arm and a leg because they have unique skills that aren’t easily replaced.

1 of 6