Digital Art Zone

ShareCG sending spa—uh—advertising emails now?
Posted: 24 May 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  2005-11-27

I just got an email from ShareCG advertising the HP Z1 Workstation. It appears to be legit, but it’s just weird to me.

Signature 

The Revolution is coming…

==========================================================

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and… ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles…”

- The 10th Doctor, Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens (Series 5, Episode 12)

Posted: 24 May 2012 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17151
Joined  2003-10-09

I have an account there, and I haven’t received any, yet.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 24 May 2012 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  785
Joined  2006-06-12

Ugh.

Signature 

My Daz Store
ShareCG Freebies

Posted: 24 May 2012 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5000
Joined  2005-08-03

I got that email also. My first thought was ‘What the…?’, and my second was ‘Nope.. no prebuilts in this house’, and deleted the email. :d

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis (DS)
Free Script: Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2 (DS/Poser)

Posted: 24 May 2012 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2007-10-17

yeah I got it too, it was weird, but figured it was what it was, they are a free site and they have to make money to run it someway.  I guess side ads are not cutting it, so its to a email attack now.

Signature 

Come and see me sometime!  http://posermagic.deviantart.com/
My RMP Store http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=posermagic
My CP Store http://www.contentparadise.com/searchimageviewdetail.aspx?seller=Posermagic

Posted: 24 May 2012 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17

I haven’t received one yet… however, I get ad email from Smith Micro about every other day.  Today’s ad was for “Dragon Dictate 2 for Mac”

So ShareCG can join the group as well.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 26 May 2012 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2003-10-09

You can unsubscribe from them. I did as soon as I got it!

Signature 

Old Forum Final Post Count 4092
I have a terrible allergy. Vodka makes my clothes fall off.

Posted: 26 May 2012 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

OOh, that’s a silly thing to do, once you click an unsubscribe link they know they have found a real person to send more of them to. smirk

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge

Posted: 26 May 2012 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5261
Joined  2012-04-07
chohole - 26 May 2012 04:29 AM

OOh, that’s a silly thing to do, once you click an unsubscribe link they know they have found a real person to send more of them to. smirk

Well you’re supposed to be a real person to have an acct at sharecg.com lol ...

However that advice certainly holds true for massive bulk spam scams.

Signature 

Lots of photos in my DA Gallery including PD Textures.

Posted: 26 May 2012 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Yeah, and are we convinced yet that these mailings are actually coming from ShareCG ???????  I know I doubt them, as I do have an account there, and was getting a little money from them until they stopped that, but have yet to receive one of these advert emails.

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2012 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5261
Joined  2012-04-07
chohole - 26 May 2012 06:02 AM

Yeah, and are we convinced yet that these mailings are actually coming from ShareCG ???????  I know I doubt them, as I do have an account there, and was getting a little money from them until they stopped that, but have yet to receive one of these advert emails.

I haven’t got one yet ... but then I don’t have any money plans set up with them either ... could mean that somebody else has got a hold of their mailing list ... might be a very good idea for us all to go and change those passwords again shut eye

Signature 

Lots of photos in my DA Gallery including PD Textures.

Posted: 26 May 2012 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  723
Joined  2008-07-16

I got one for the HP workstation (Yaaay… an all in one disposable machine!) I figured it was from SCG since that is the “Featured ad” that you must view to reach reach SCG ( yeah, you can click - “Continue to requested page” but the delay is almost as long as the ad).... I deleted it without checking if it was real or not…

Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

Posted: 27 May 2012 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5000
Joined  2005-08-03
lordvicore - 26 May 2012 03:59 PM

I got one for the HP workstation (Yaaay… an all in one disposable machine!) I figured it was from SCG since that is the “Featured ad” that you must view to reach reach SCG ( yeah, you can click - “Continue to requested page” but the delay is almost as long as the ad).... I deleted it without checking if it was real or not…

So that’s what that forced ad is supposed to be. I use adblock so I never actually see an image on that page. lol
I just hit enter a second time in the address bar and it goes right to where it was supposed to.

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis (DS)
Free Script: Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2 (DS/Poser)

Posted: 28 May 2012 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2003-10-09
chohole - 26 May 2012 06:02 AM

I think you may be right. I’ve had none and I’m not filtering spam at present after several emails went missing. From past dealings with them they do seem to be an honest outfit. Sending out spam is a sure way to annoy users and that would damage their business.

Signature 

Freebies