Digital Art Zone

How do i change pivot point for an object?
Posted: 06 July 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-11-14

sorry if this is an old topic, but i tried doing a google search for a solution, and none of the links were helpful, so i’ve posted a new one.

I’m using the “build your own sword” kit in Daz, and whenever i knock up a sword, the pivot point is miles away from the handle, and I end up having to pose the thing remotely when I use it in a scene, which is annoying.

So can somebody please give me some advice on changing an object’s pivot point?

Image Attachments
pivot_screen.jpg

Posted: 06 July 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14604
Joined  2009-01-22

Could you go to your Scene Tab and show which part of the object is selected? I’m not sure but I would like to know if selecting the Handle will change your pivot point. If not I have a script for DS3 that lets you move an objects point of origan. I have not tested it in DS4 but I will. If it works I will point you to it.

But first lets look at the different parts of the sword as you select them.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 06 July 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2006-03-02

I agree with Jaderail—first check the grip and see if it has a different origin. I am guessing that the blades are smart propped to the handle.

For future reference, you can change the center and end points by using the Joint Editor Tool.  I don’t know if this tool is in the Standard edition of Studio 4. Why don’t you upgrade to Studio 4 Pro while it is still free?

Posted: 06 July 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
fivecat - 06 July 2012 05:07 PM

I agree with Jaderail—first check the grip and see if it has a different origin. I am guessing that the blades are smart propped to the handle.

For future reference, you can change the center and end points by using the Joint Editor Tool.  I don’t know if this tool is in the Standard edition of Studio 4. Why don’t you upgrade to Studio 4 Pro while it is still free?

Good Point I did not catch they were not using DS4Pro or DS4.5. My eyes are not that strong.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 10 July 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-11-14

thanks for the replies, guys.

I’ve installed the pro version now. Sorry for being so noobish, but where do i find the joint editor tool?

And Jaderail, would you mind sharing that script with me? (if it works for 4)

Posted: 10 July 2012 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

You went quite on me for so long I forgot to test it. Off to give it a shot now.

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Tested and working, it is DeltaX15’s script Move origin. Seems fine. I’m hunting the link now.

Only tested in DS4Pro Version 4.0.3.47
This should be the link http://www.4shared.com/zip/vTF_a1cq/moveorigin_1_5.html

Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2012 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  201
Joined  2006-03-02

Glad you got things working. It can be difficult to keep up on topics with these forums. tongue laugh

Posted: 11 July 2012 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7192
Joined  2009-05-14
sticky-runes - 10 July 2012 02:58 PM

thanks for the replies, guys.

I’ve installed the pro version now. Sorry for being so noobish, but where do i find the joint editor tool?

When you engage the Joint Editor the Translation tool changes and gives you a red and a green gizmo. It is just case of moving these to where you want them, with your mouse, just grap and move and release.

Image Attachments
JointEditor_(2)S.jpeg
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative