Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
OT: I actually bought a server
Posted: 22 August 2012 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  628
Joined  2010-12-13

Update: The Dell 1950 server is happily running Ubuntu 12.04, with Luxrender v1.0RC3 running native and Bryce Lightning under Wine (see above). I got Reality working on my old DS3 desktop (XP 32), so the next step is to export a scene from Reality and render on the 1950. I ran a test render standalone on the 1950 in Lux. With all 8 cores cranking away, I’m getting about 25K samples/second. At that rate, I can Luxrender a scene at 1200x900 to 1000 samples/pixel in 12 hrs. Not too shabby, IMO. I set up a Samba shared directory, so *in theory* all I need to do is export the scene from Reality in DS, save it to the shared dir with exported textures, then fire up Luxrender on the server. That way, I can still work on the desktop while the server does the heavy lifting. I can use VNC to open a desktop on the server without actually turning around and logging into it. That was the evil plan all along. The graphics card seems not to be an issue, as Lux with pure CPU rendering doesn’t seem to care.

The fans actually never went full blast during the test render, but it was at night and the air was fairly cool.

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery
Old post count 1725 (seems lame compared to some)

Posted: 25 August 2012 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  1000
Joined  2006-02-27

On a similar note, I actually have an IBM eServer xSeries 346 (Type 8840)  But its not in very good condition and some of the memory is bad. I don’t know if its worth investing money into it and get it running again. It can take up to 16gigs of memory and it has an old windows server 2003 installed on it.

I am also not really sure if its good for rendering or not.

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-58373

Posted: 27 August 2012 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-13
JohnDelaquiox - 25 August 2012 07:07 AM

On a similar note, I actually have an IBM eServer xSeries 346 (Type 8840)  But its not in very good condition and some of the memory is bad. I don’t know if its worth investing money into it and get it running again. It can take up to 16gigs of memory and it has an old windows server 2003 installed on it.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with that machine. It only offers 2-way SMP (dual core, no hyperthreading). The memory is only 400Mhz. That’s not ordinary memory either. It needs PC2-3200 DDR2 400MHz registered ECC memory. The memory in the machine I got isn’t much faster, but I got 8 GB and 8 cores (dual cpu, 4 cores each).
http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/poweredge-1950/pd

I have a completely ad-hoc metric for computer performance. Since cpu speeds have kind of leveled out, what’s more important is the number of threads and the memory bandwidth. My metric is simply # threads x memory speed in Mhz. Your system would rate a score of 800, same as the old desktop I’m using for creating Daz Studio and Bryce scenes. My Dell 1950 “render box” gets a 4264. The HP Z800 I have at work (not available for rendering) rates 21328! gulp The HP has dual 4-core cpus with hyperthreading, and DDR3 1333 memory.

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery

Posted: 27 August 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1870
Joined  2006-02-17
Slimer_J_Spud - 27 August 2012 12:30 PM

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with that machine. It only offers 2-way SMP (dual core, no hyperthreading). The memory is only 400Mhz. That’s not ordinary memory either. It needs PC2-3200 DDR2 400MHz registered ECC memory. The memory in the machine I got isn’t much faster, but I got 8 GB and 8 cores (dual cpu, 4 cores each).
http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/poweredge-1950/pd

I have a completely ad-hoc metric for computer performance. Since cpu speeds have kind of leveled out, what’s more important is the number of threads and the memory bandwidth. My metric is simply # threads x memory speed in Mhz. Your system would rate a score of 800, same as the old desktop I’m using for creating Daz Studio and Bryce scenes. My Dell 1950 “render box” gets a 4264. The HP Z800 I have at work (not available for rendering) rates 21328! gulp The HP has dual 4-core cpus with hyperthreading, and DDR3 1333 memory.

By that metric this little thing here only rates a 63984.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 27 August 2012 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-13

24 HT cpus? Must be nice. The HP Z800 starts around $2K, and as configured with 48Gb of memory, came in at $11K. It’s marketed for engineering use. With 192Gb of Ram, the list price is > $100K, but aftermarket memory can be had for much less. I spent less than $200 on the Dell. So, how much did you spend on that screamin’ demon? cool smile

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery

Posted: 27 August 2012 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Slimer_J_Spud - 27 August 2012 06:05 PM

24 HT cpus? Must be nice. The HP Z800 starts around $2K, and as configured with 48Gb of memory, came in at $11K. It’s marketed for engineering use. With 192Gb of Ram, the list price is > $100K, but aftermarket memory can be had for much less. I spent less than $200 on the Dell. So, how much did you spend on that screamin’ demon? cool smile

A bunch more than I should’ve spent!  The Motherboard alone was $2500.00.  I’m glad I didn’t have to buy it out of pocket…

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 27 August 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17

Just s followup… you called this thing a “screamin demon.”  While it is true that it has a crapload of cores and memory, it really isn’t that fast.  The individual cores are only in the 2.3G range and they are throttled up or down depending on use.  Take into account that the software written for a machine like this is not all that common, and the cores rarely get used to their full extent.  That’s why I mentioned the “rating” the way I did.  The machine spends the majority of its efforts running Oracle, and when the need arises, VMWare sessions.  As to being a rendering machine, there are better, and cheaper, ways to get more rendering performance.

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 28 August 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  540
Joined  2010-09-02

Heh, I’ve got something similar, that I’d already given up on expanding. S5000VSA

Intel has drivers for SUSE and Red Hat, wondering if it’d run on the free version of either… (Don’t need much of a beast, for the first Linux app I’m itching to try).

At least, with its 4 Gigs, and the XP drivers, it can replace my elderly XP, which may be showing a first symptom of “motherboard rot”.
I need a strong XP for at least one app… similarly I still need W98b, temporarily, for at least a codec.

Wicked case, though, assuming it’ll accept a standard PSU upgrade. And two PCIe slots, if I wanna go the GPU rendering route.

Meanwhile, I’ve grown to hate working on my PC hardware.

Signature 

Windows:          DAZ History Manager         Daz Wishlist Manager         3D Content Downloader

Firefox Fixes for the Old Forum:      Bookmarks       Images

Fun With Bundles Thread 2

Posted: 28 August 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-02
Slimer_J_Spud - 06 July 2012 11:40 AM

In the old forums I had a short discussion going with the subject “OT: I almost bought a server” but for the life of me I cannot find that thread. Irritating not being able to find and link to your own posts. Google search can’t find it, but I know it’s there. Must not have been visited enough.

I swear I remember that thread, but I didn’t save it, and don’t find it in my links. Maybe it was in Members?

IAnyway, I did finally buy an old server VERY cheap. What I ended up with is a 3rd generation Dell Poweredge 1950 with dual Quad-core cpus and 8Gb of memory. It was up for auction and I got it for $80, but with buyer’s premium and tax it was $100 out the door. No hard drives, no OS.

Was that an in-person auction, or online? You have my envy. (Low on fundage).

That means buying a copy of Windows 7 Professional.

Does the hardware need Pro, or you want certain features?

Signature 

Windows:          DAZ History Manager         Daz Wishlist Manager         3D Content Downloader

Posted: 28 August 2012 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-13

@Kendall Sears, As I thought, this was “capital equipment” not just another “toy” like my Dell. grin We have MUCH larger machines in the farm at work. The HP z800 is intended to be portable enough to drag out to customer sites if needed. A customer sent me some info for review on one of their runs. The machine at the customer site has 40 cpus (+40 virtual) and 1 TB of DRAM. Yes, that’s one Terabyte of Ram. gulp We do have software that will max that machine out with 80 threads…

@T Jaiman, your motherboard specs are suspiciously similar to the Dell PE 1950. smile

Somehow the old thread I had in the old forums escaped the Google machinery. I just can’t find it anymore. It was not in the members only section as I am not a PC member. It was in The Commons, just like this one. The auction where I got the server was online, but I picked it up in person, as it was nearby. I only go to nearby auctions, as shipping would blow the economics of the deal. I think I got lucky on the system config, as the descriptions in the auction catalog were rather vague and some of the lots may have had less. If you scrounge surplus stores, you can also find comparable systems for around $125-200 without hard drives. I also got lucky on this one, as it happens to support standard 2.5” SATA laptop drives. Having to buy SAS drives would have driven up the cost. Lastly, I avoided the Windows tax by going with Ubuntu Linux, which is free, provided you can download a DVD worth of data in a reasonable time. The deal with Windows is that multiple cores will work on W7 Home, but if you have 2 or more PHYSICAL cpus, you need Windows Professional or Ultimate.

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery

Posted: 29 August 2012 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-02
Slimer_J_Spud - 28 August 2012 02:44 PM

@T Jaiman, your motherboard specs are suspiciously similar to the Dell PE 1950. smile

The auction where I got the server was online, but I picked it up in person, as it was nearby. I only go to nearby auctions, as shipping would blow the economics of the deal. I think I got lucky on the system config, as the descriptions in the auction catalog were rather vague and some of the lots may have had less. If you scrounge surplus stores, you can also find comparable systems for around $125-200 without hard drives. I also got lucky on this one, as it happens to support standard 2.5” SATA laptop drives. Having to buy SAS drives would have driven up the cost. Lastly, I avoided the Windows tax by going with Ubuntu Linux, which is free, provided you can download a DVD worth of data in a reasonable time. The deal with Windows is that multiple cores will work on W7 Home, but if you have 2 or more PHYSICAL cpus, you need Windows Professional or Ultimate.

The motherboard allows for something pretty decent. But luck wasn’t with me - my metric is a paltry 2668. Two Xeon 5110’s (no hyperthreading), more than cancel out the 667 MHz. If they’d been 5300’s, I’d have 5336. But 4 gigs memory with it, Vista maximum, uncertain Linux potential. (Further hampered by the fact that I still haven’t tackled Linux).. Kinda limits my upgrading options. Looks like it will take ordinary SATA, if I don’t use the slow software 5.1 raid (hardware boot, software driven). 6 full-size drive trays, if I want to go nuts.

I’m glad you started this thread, I’ve started to look around, this might be the way to go.

Signature 

Posted: 29 August 2012 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-13
T Jaiman - 29 August 2012 12:57 PM
Slimer_J_Spud - 28 August 2012 02:44 PM

The motherboard allows for something pretty decent. But luck wasn’t with me - my metric is a paltry 2668. Two Xeon 5110’s (no hyperthreading), more than cancel out the 667 MHz. If they’d been 5300’s, I’d have 5336. But 4 gigs memory with it, Vista maximum, uncertain Linux potential. (Further hampered by the fact that I still haven’t tackled Linux).. Kinda limits my upgrading options. Looks like it will take ordinary SATA, if I don’t use the slow software 5.1 raid (hardware boot, software driven). 6 full-size drive trays, if I want to go nuts.

I’m glad you started this thread, I’ve started to look around, this might be the way to go.

Yes, I lucked out in that mine came with the 5300 quad-core cpus and 8Gb. I don’t have hyperthreading either, but I have 8 cores. Ubuntu will run on just about anything, and is a very popular free distro. In retrospect, I kind of don’t like the Ubuntu desktop, because it looks like Mac OS. LOL Ganging up an “army” of cheap Linux boxes is one way to go on render time. The GPU and CPU/GPU hybrid rendering is still somewhat iffy. Luxrender can definitely network, and now Bryce Lightning can run under Wine, so I’m happy. Now I have to get used to Reality and the lighting in Lux. *Sigh* yet another learning curve.

Signature 

Daz Gallery
DA Gallery

2 of 2