Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Looks like the “limited time offer” on DS4, Hexagon and Bryce is no longer limited…
Posted: 05 July 2012 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2534
Joined  2005-04-15

Leastways, I couldn’t help but notice that, with the new front page that just went up, there’s now no longer any mention of the “free” being temporary anymore…

Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 05 July 2012 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1896
Joined  2005-12-31

Good deal. I am really glad they went back to the way they had it before studio 3 came out. I think it greatly helps draw in new users. It did me 5 years ago at least.

Posted: 06 July 2012 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2008-02-14

That’s how they got me too!  I fondly remember getting a brand spanking new program called DAZstudio 1.8 absolutely free, plus they threw in a whole bunch of free content just for registering,  and the rest as they say is, ... er uhm, history?  ...  good marketing loss leader!

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 06 July 2012 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  723
Joined  2008-07-16

It is still on the first page of the store…

Image Attachments
Picture_3.png
 Signature 

VISIT MY ShareCG FREEBIE GALLERY

Posted: 06 July 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  0

I think that it has to remain free as long as there are no manuals. I still think this is their way of saying that they will never finish the documentation.

Posted: 06 July 2012 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-31

I doubt if text documentation has anything to do with the current marketing.

Posted: 06 July 2012 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2003-10-09
Cybersox13 - 05 July 2012 09:09 PM

Leastways, I couldn’t help but notice that, with the new front page that just went up, there’s now no longer any mention of the “free” being temporary anymore…

If you go to the individual product pages it’s there.

Coldrake

Signature 

I don’t dance, I boogie.
———————————————————

If I have to choose between speed and quality, I’ll take quality every time.
———————————————————

It’s not what tools you use,
It’s how you use your tools.

Posted: 06 July 2012 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1786
Joined  2010-02-14

DAZ stated that they found the temporary free releases to be very valuable move as it has really racked in a lot of new people into the community. The know very well that getting a big, shiny program that otherwise you’d have to pay big bucks for is creating large temptation to instead blow all that cash on content to play with.

They know it’s working, they’re happy, the customers are happy with their new toys, and we all live happily ever after, holding hands under the big rainbow of online store complaints… :‘3

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 06 July 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  648
Joined  2006-09-30
ParisGranville - 06 July 2012 08:35 AM

I think that it has to remain free as long as there are no manuals. I still think this is their way of saying that they will never finish the documentation.

Can’t be.

They still charge for Carrara without a manual!

Signature 

MOO!

Posted: 06 July 2012 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2007-11-30
RCDeschene - 06 July 2012 03:28 PM

DAZ stated that they found the temporary free releases to be very valuable move as it has really racked in a lot of new people into the community. The know very well that getting a big, shiny program that otherwise you’d have to pay big bucks for is creating large temptation to instead blow all that cash on content to play with.

They know it’s working, they’re happy, the customers are happy with their new toys, and we all live happily ever after, holding hands under the big rainbow of online store complaints... :‘3

LOL

I spend a lot of my time in the “Just Because I Can. STUPID THREAD II”...

When they decided to make DAZ Studio a program that you’d have to pay for, then they should never had released it as beta-software. Huge mistake. First they should have released it when it was done, maybe not with all the bells and whistles, but functional. Secondly they should have written the documentation, and released the software only when this was done.

Doing things half-assed hasn’t served DAZ3D anything at all. I’m waiting for the DS4.5 General Release so I can finally migrate from DS3A. Keyword; functional software. NOT beta-software!!

Posted: 06 July 2012 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-31

Beta really doesn’t bother me. First of all I have no more trouble with it than plenty of programs that are no longer beta (many of which I payed as much or more for than I did when I payed for Studio by the way) and secondly I gamed for years and never once did any of the games I played ever stop being beta because the GM’s never wanted to stop improving the game.

Posted: 07 July 2012 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  0

But we need basic functionality if we are using this software in a production environment. I have had the horrible experience several times in the past of saving a scene rebooting and then being unable to reopen in it in exactly the same version of daz studio. People with real deadlines and real projects can’t afford that kind of lost productivity.

Posted: 07 July 2012 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12596
Joined  2007-11-06

...I had no issue with the “beta” updates when the full version of application was 100% free. This is what got me into 3D as I had the full application and a nice set of content to play with rather than some hamstrung limited time demo where most of the features that interested me were turned off.

When S3A came out, things changed though. It was marketed as a complete (read, reasonably functional) application, but it soon became apparent we were paying our hard earned money to continue playing “beta testers”. Subsequent “updates” actually made matters worse for a time instead of better, until the release of 3.1.2.32 (which was the last release of 3A before Ver 4.x was rolled out).

In Maxwell Smart’s words I feel they were “that close” to making 3A a solid application when it was suddenly orphaned for the “new kid”.  If only they would have took just a couple more months and actually fixed the few remaining issues and finally give us the “complete” application we originally paid for.  Instead near the end of it’s “lifetime”, ver.3 was used for “prototyping” several features that were to be incorporated into Studio4 leaving us who paid our hard earned money with a still partially broken programme that would never be finished.

Now they’re already talking about S5 (and I’m not referring to Stephanie) when S4 is barely a year old and still undergoing serious “teething pains”.

Daz, slow down,  It’s okay to not roll out a fully new version of your software every year. You don’t have the manpower resources to support the workload involved like an AutoDesk or Adobe do, especially when your development team is also wrestling with getting the new site software working right. Please, can we just get one reasonably stable and “finished” version of your flagship app for once?

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 07 July 2012 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9712
Joined  2007-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 07 July 2012 06:02 PM

Now they’re already talking about S5 (and I’m not referring to Stephanie) when S4 is barely a year old and still undergoing serious “teething pains”.

AFAIK the only people talking about DS5 were some forum members—nothing at all from DAZ 3D.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 07 July 2012 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2007-11-30
Kyoto Kid - 07 July 2012 06:02 PM

...I had no issue with the “beta” updates when the full version of application was 100% free. This is what got me into 3D as I had the full application and a nice set of content to play with rather than some hamstrung limited time demo where most of the features that interested me were turned off.

When S3A came out, things changed though. It was marketed as a complete (read, reasonably functional) application, but it soon became apparent we were paying our hard earned money to continue playing “beta testers”. Subsequent “updates” actually made matters worse for a time instead of better, until the release of 3.1.2.32 (which was the last release of 3A before Ver 4.x was rolled out).

In Maxwell Smart’s words I feel they were “that close” to making 3A a solid application when it was suddenly orphaned for the “new kid”.  If only they would have took just a couple more months and actually fixed the few remaining issues and finally give us the “complete” application we originally paid for.  Instead near the end of it’s “lifetime”, ver.3 was used for “prototyping” several features that were to be incorporated into Studio4 leaving us who paid our hard earned money with a still partially broken programme that would never be finished.

Daz, slow down,  It’s okay to not roll out a fully new version of your software every year. You don’t have the manpower resources to support the workload involved like an AutoDesk or Adobe do, especially when your development team is also wrestling with getting the new site software working right. Please, can we just get one reasonably stable and “finished” version of your flagship app for once?

I loudly agree with you, KK!!

I hope the people at DAZ3D reads your post, not just once, but several times until it is fixed into their minds.

DAZ3D =/= Autodesk

DAZ3D =/= Adobe

But what DAZ3D has actually managed is to make the big studios take notice and they are adding discounts for their suits.

AutoCAD LT - save €300 if you have a subscription, €200 if you don’t have a subscription. Save 20% on all softwares before July 13’th 2012. Etc. They have lowered the bar, so the small guy can have fun to.

So, in all fairness we should thank them for continuing developing their flagship, and hope Autodesk doesn’t buy them out.

Posted: 07 July 2012 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  0

I understand that DAZ =/= adobe, but then they can’t command Adobe $$. I am willing to pay Adobe $$$ for a DAZ studio that works consistently. I am not willing to beta test.grin

1 of 3