Digital Art Zone

1 of 21
I can fool you.
Posted: 08 January 2014 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  448
Joined  2012-08-15

I can fool you.

Using DAZ Studio 4.6 (the current version) I can make a picture so real, I can probably have most people believe it’s a real person looking back at you.  I’ve pointed out that 3delight is an industry standard.

I like 3d art and making it as realistic as possible.  I like real looking materials. I subscribe to the idea of garbage in, garbage out.  Today, some level of reality needs to be not just desired but expected.

We do not have to agree.  Conformity is the jailor of freedom and the enemy of growth.  Computer art began under the premise that we all ‘Think Differently’.  More importantly, think for yourself.  Celebrate our differences and cherish what we share in common. 

As an improvement to these forums, I’d like to suggest they remove the ‘comments’ feature so that if you ignore somebody, you don’t have to see other people quoting foul comments of a few haters.

Take care.  I’d love to hear what you think.

Image Attachments
selfie2g.jpg
 Signature 

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.
─▀██▀─▄███▄─▀██─██▀██▀▀▀█─
──██─███─███─██─██─██▄█───
──██─▀██▄██▀─▀█▄█▀─██▀█───
─▄██▄▄█▀▀▀─────▀──▄██▄▄▄█...
While the heart beats, hope lingers..

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  392
Joined  2011-05-27

Huh?  I don’t understand your post.

Signature 

DAZ Studio 4 Pro user, Poser Pro 2012 user, Bryce 7 Pro user, Vue 8 Complete user, Photoshop CS4 user.

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2861
Joined  2004-04-14

Its a nice render.  But its not realistic.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
Mattymanx - 08 January 2014 11:24 AM

Its a nice render.  But its not realistic.

Show me better and tell me how you did it.  Thanks in advance. smile

Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  392
Joined  2011-05-27

Ok, I get it now.  Moving on….....

Signature 

DAZ Studio 4 Pro user, Poser Pro 2012 user, Bryce 7 Pro user, Vue 8 Complete user, Photoshop CS4 user.

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2005-12-12
Muon Quark - 08 January 2014 11:20 AM

I completely agree. Is this some sort of mis-post that was supposed to go on another forum?

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15

Oh come on, I bet you can do something pretty amazing… Whip it out and lets see how real it looks.  Have a little fun, live a little.  Smile.. Show me what you got and I’ll show you mine. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7649
Joined  2009-07-13
Barubary - 08 January 2014 11:36 AM
Muon Quark - 08 January 2014 11:20 AM

I completely agree. Is this some sort of mis-post that was supposed to go on another forum?

CGtalk?

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2861
Joined  2004-04-14

I like my own work but I dont think its in any way realistic.  I enjoy doing art and thats why I do it.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15

OK… I know some other people can do a lot better.  I’m waiting for some of the real professionals to chime in.  Thanks for sharing your good opinion.  Maybe someday you’ll share some good art too.

Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1381
Joined  2005-03-16

I’ll share one, but it’s not so that anyone can rip apart how “realistic” it is or isn’t.  This, to me, is pretty close to reality.  Close enough that I am happy with it, and I think others would be, too.  This is Stephanie 5, and although the shadow catcher caught a white shadow instead of dark, it still looks pretty good.  Also included on of Victoria 6.

Image Attachments
Steph5.jpgPretty_Girl.png
 Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 08 January 2014 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15921
Joined  2003-10-09

Can you all please remember to abide by the DAZ 3D ToS, particularly bullet point #2

Criticism should be directed towards the subject or topic at hand, rather than an individual.  Posts which make blanket, unreasoned criticisms - of other members, of DAZ 3D, of products or applications, or of merchants and their products - may be removed in a general effort to control negativity.

Thankyou

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 08 January 2014 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
Slosh - 08 January 2014 11:58 AM

I’ll share one, but it’s not so that anyone can rip apart how “realistic” it is or isn’t.  This, to me, is pretty close to reality.  Close enough that I am happy with it, and I think others would be, too.  This is Stephanie 5, and although the shadow catcher caught a white shadow instead of dark, it still looks pretty good.  Also included on of Victoria 6.

I think they are both AWESOME!  Great work!  Thank you so much for sharing.  I’m loving them.  On that top one, I feel like I could just reach in and grab her… especially nice.  Loving the Jeans smile

Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2014 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-08-15
chohole - 08 January 2014 11:58 AM

Can you all please remember to abide by the DAZ 3D ToS, particularly bullet point #2

Criticism should be directed towards the subject or topic at hand, rather than an individual.  Posts which make blanket, unreasoned criticisms - of other members, of DAZ 3D, of products or applications, or of merchants and their products - may be removed in a general effort to control negativity.

Thankyou

I like the idea that people keep their criticism to themselves on everything and everybody allow some positive attitudes to flourish around here…  How does that expression go, If you got nothing good to say, say nothing at all.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2014 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4957
Joined  2008-03-06

It is a nice render, but it is a long way from realism.  Here are some examples of nearly photoreal characters by artists on deviantart.  Many use a DS to Octane or DS to Reality workflow.

http://laticis.deviantart.com/art/A-time-of-Questioning-424856411
http://calladsreality.deviantart.com/art/Featuring-Sweet-Dublin-304753163
http://hellboysoto.deviantart.com/art/Skin-Study-01-415821292

All three of these artists have other examples.  Skin is important, but the biggest key is lighting.

I don’t even attempt this.  I think that you can have a scene that tells a story, or you can have photorealistic humans; at the current tech level, working as a solo artist on a reasonable production schedule, you basically can’t have both.  This is why the photoreals tend to be pinups, or if full scenes, still lifes.  This is not to devalue them as art at all - I favorite pieces by all of these artists, and they are stunningly gorgeous and inspiring.  But it’s not the be-all and end-all of 3d, and it should never be the only aim of 3d art.

I prefer a degree of deliberate stylization that still lets me tell the picture’s story, where that’s what I’m trying to do.  And while I’m not in the same class as some other DAZ PA’s, or the DAZ promo artists, sometimes I succeed reasonably well.

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Tickets-Please-405213885
http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Pixie-Pickpocket-414638826?q=gallery:SickleYield/14218253&qo=8
http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Slay-the-Monster-Rescue-the-Prince-420508932?q=gallery:SickleYield/14218253&qo=1

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 08 January 2014 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1134
Joined  2003-12-16

The face is entirely too symmetric, the left and right side of any human face is never a mirror.

The skin looks entirely too matte finished, there should be a slight transparency or light gain around the ears, there s none.

The reflection in the eyes does not appear to be coming from a light source but an image, it looks painted on.

The hair, especially the facial hair has no luster and it doesn’t match the hair on the models head in terms of glossiness.

its a good render but you’re only fooling yourself thinking you fooled [edited from “food’[ anyone who uses this software or has done 3D modeling.

this is close, it was done in Maya and you could study this and see why this looks far more convincing.
http://cghub.com/images/view/412958/

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

1 of 21