Texturing Models For Bryce Renders
Posted: 05 January 2014 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15124
Joined  2003-10-09
franontheedge - 04 January 2014 08:30 PM
bullit35744 - 04 January 2014 07:03 PM

Looks like you are ready to put in some people and render away…

Not quite.  There’s at least 11 surfaces, window walls, walls, and ceilings to UVMap and texture, plus some little bits like a power handle, a few levers etc etc.

Only Wings is getting very slow now… whimper.
and I need some surfaces under all that grid flooring… um.

On a different question, you don’t know if one can get any free shapes for PhotoShop anywhere do you?

I did a google search and came up with quite a few results

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=free+custom+shapes+for+PS

I have , in the past, downloaded some of the sets hilighted in ‘‘The Ultimate Collection’‘

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 January 2014 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2008-11-26

Fran-Wow I can’t believe it that you are doing this in Wings. it’s awesome.

Posted: 05 January 2014 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2004-11-11
bullit35744 - 04 January 2014 09:35 PM

Fran : what do you mean by shapes…they have free brushes…. http://www.brusheezy.com/  try here…..Trish

No, not brushes, I mean shapes that you can use to add to the ‘custom shapes’ here:
(see pic)

I tried a google search and just came up with a download of an .exe shapes downloader program that installed a load of rubbish on my machine - including an apps thing for phones, and to add insult to injury didn’t even seem able to download any shapes either…
What I was hoping for was a similar resource to the brushes for PhotoShop, which you can find all over the place - especially Deviant Art… um… I’ll just go check out Deviant Art, now I think of it…

Oooh, su-weet!
Hey take a look, they even got Cogs!  I love cogs!  Pity it’s not suitable for this current project…

Oh wow, there’s loads!

Signature 

FranOnTheEdge

Posted: 05 January 2014 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-11
GussNemo - 04 January 2014 11:54 PM

That’s starting to look real nice, franontheedge.

Maybe the best, in order to keep Wings happy, is to break up everything into components, which you can reassemble in Bryce.  You could use markers so you’d know how to line up everything when you import them into Bryce.  Doing this will eliminate the need for Wings to continue drawing the parts you’re not working on.

Thank you very much.

Yes, I had planned to save out each section separately. Both as Wings files and exporting as objects once all of a section is UVMapped.

Markers?  What do you use for that?

I do sometimes wonder if Wings would crash first or Bryce…

Oh, that’s a thought, now that I have a new hard drive for my C: drive, do I have to make Bryce and Wings ‘Large Address Aware’ again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chohole - 05 January 2014 06:07 AM

snip

I did a google search and came up with quite a few results

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=free+custom+shapes+for+PS

I have , in the past, downloaded some of the sets hilighted in ‘‘The Ultimate Collection’‘

Huh?  How come you do a search and come up with all that - yet when I search all I get is a load of links to exactly the same beastly little program?
Oh wait - I know why… it’s ‘cos I suck at searching.

sigh.  angry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mermaid010 - 05 January 2014 08:40 AM

Fran-Wow I can’t believe it that you are doing this in Wings. it’s awesome.

Well thank you but it’s really not so hard.  Wings3D is one of the easiest programs to use that I’ve ever come across, even its manual is easier to understand than any other manual I’ve ever seen, and there’s no need to be too impressed by this model, it’s mostly just cubes with pictures on them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Trish,

they have free brushes…. http://www.brusheezy.com/  try here…..Trish

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!!! You beast, you’ve trapped me downloading lots of lovely grunge brushes – arrrrgggghhhhh! Help, someone save me!

Lol.

I have this addiction to grunge – brushes, textures, whatever.  I love making grunge brushes, and downloading other peoples is a lot of fun too – trouble is my PhotoShop is so full to bursting with brushes – I can’t see them all.

Sorry, nothing to show at present, since I’m making a new texture for PealandPalace.  I was just playing really, but got carried away, and I’ve created a new character too - ‘Burpea’, here’s a link to all the Pealand characters that I hope to model one day:
Pealand Characters
I’ll post the image of the new character in the Bryce Renders thread…

Signature 

FranOnTheEdge

Posted: 05 January 2014 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

LOL at Fran.  My Google-Fu is quite good

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge

Posted: 07 January 2014 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1349
Joined  2011-09-25

Markers?  To help realign the individual components, unless you have an excellent eye, or memory.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 10 January 2014 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-11
GussNemo - 07 January 2014 02:13 AM

Markers?  To help realign the individual components, unless you have an excellent eye, or memory.

Yes, I understand the concept of ‘markers’ generally and what they are for, what I don’t get is just how you are suggesting they should be applied to this particular situation - or why?

I mean if you are talking about in Wings3d -  saving the sections as separate files and then re-merging some of them simply brings everything into one file - already in their correct positions.

If you mean in Bryce… well, (scratches head) what do you mean?  Adding an extra cube in Wings3d for a marker?
Why?  You’d still have to go in really close in Bryce and move the section into place - an extra cube would surely just get in the way… I can’t think how it would help.

If you don’t mean this, then can you explain what you do mean?

What really would help is if Bryce would stop changing the relative sizes of imported objects - and their positions too.

Signature 

FranOnTheEdge

Posted: 10 January 2014 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-11

Okay, I’m getting very close to being ready for Bryce now.
I’m just UVMapping the basement:
Pic 1 (BasementTexturing)

And the corridor at the other end is now finished:

Pics 2 & 3 (EndCorridor1 & End Corridor2) EndCorridor1 is looking into the last corridor and EndCorridor2 looks away from it towards the room with the big window & the shaft leading down to the Basement.

Image Attachments
BasementTexturing.jpgEndCorridor1.jpgEndCorridor2.jpg
 Signature 

FranOnTheEdge

Posted: 11 January 2014 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@fran:  You’re saving this project is pieces, so you want to put those pieces back together exactly like you took them apart.  With some of the pieces it might be hard to realign them once they’ve been broken up.  If you used a cube, for example, reshaped it so it fits a face on your Wings model close to one part’s edge, put one that corresponds on the opposite part, don’t wield them to either object, then when you take them into Bryce you can line up those two pieces and know your parts have been reassembled correctly.  You can then delete those two reshaped cubes.  This is what I meant by using a marker.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.

Posted: 12 January 2014 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-11-11

I’m sorry, but I still don’t see how having extra cubes as ‘markers’ would help in getting the cubes I already have (the model) aligned.
It’s much easier to align the cubes that make up the model - without extra cubes getting in the way.

If you use all the views in Bryce: top, left, right, front & back - it’s really simple to do.

It’s how I’ve always done it.

Anyway, here are some shots of the model - from inside Bryce.

Image Attachments
MoonBaseTest12.jpgMoonBaseTest10.jpgMoonBaseTest9.jpgMoonBaseTest8.jpg
 Signature 

FranOnTheEdge

Posted: 13 January 2014 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@fran:  It really doesn’t matter what is used to realign bits and pieces of a model once it’s taken apart.  Sometimes witness marks can make the process go faster.  But as I said, it really doesn’t matter.  What you’ve recently shown is really looking good.

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2014 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1539
Joined  2007-12-10

This is coming along nicely… I especially like the wall lighting in the last one… It sets your textures off very well.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 13 January 2014 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  614
Joined  2008-11-26

Wow Fran I’m speechless, it’s amazing what you modeled, Are you going to do an animation with this scene?

Posted: 13 January 2014 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2645
Joined  2007-05-05

Beautiful and Awesome work Fran !!! wow this is really looking great….Trish

Signature 

Please remember my comprehension level is not the same as a rocket scientist…
Bryce7Pro-Addict…............Darkside-oholic…......Carrara-wannabee
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/269      http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/28462/

Posted: 13 January 2014 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I agree, this is looking terrific.

Signature 

2 of 4