Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Higgs-boson found, according to CERN
Posted: 04 July 2012 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1198
Joined  2007-11-30

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/07/120704-god-particle-higgs-boson-new-cern-science/

“We have a discovery,” Heuer said at the seminar. “We have observed a new particle consistent with a Higgs boson.”

At the meeting were four theorists who helped develop the Higgs theory in the 1960s, including Peter Higgs himself, who could be seen wiping away tears as the announcement was made.

Wow! This gives me an excuse to post a render I did back in December last year.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/6515451567/in/photostream

Image Attachments
6515451567_82b56207be_z.jpg

Posted: 04 July 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8484
Joined  2004-07-21

I saw an article about it earlier today. Interesting stuff.

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Play Runescape

Posted: 04 July 2012 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07

Norse: love the picture grin

Just to be pedantic though - the Higgs boson has not been “found”. A new particle has been found which is very possibly the Higgs boson, but the particle could yet turn out to be something very different.

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 04 July 2012 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2007-11-09

Good news. I’ve been following it closely. Love the image. Very apt; the LHC is as elegant as a caveman smashing two rocks together. smile

For those who want to catchup on science history I highly recommend “A short history of nearly every thing” by Bill Bryson. It’s a very accessible layman’s book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Short_History_of_Nearly_Everything

Currently I’m reading “The fabric of the cosmos” by Brian Greene. A bit more physics involved and he tries hard to make it accessible to the layman. I may buy another of his book, though maybe I should wait to see what he makes of the current Higgs Boson discovery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Greene

Signature 

Eternity’s my home, the Universe my backyard, my mind is a playground, so let’s make it all art. tongue laugh
My little gallery: http://lbamagic.deviantart.com

Posted: 04 July 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2006-02-17
cridgit - 04 July 2012 06:05 PM

Just to be pedantic though - the Higgs boson has not been “found”. A new particle has been found which is very possibly the Higgs boson, but the particle could yet turn out to be something very different.

Even more pedantic:  Something at around the energy level the Higg’s Boson is theorized to exist at has been observed.

The boson itself is unlikely to ever be found, however the interaction between the boson and the Higgs Field (the field is the important part) is what scientists are looking to find.  It is the Field that (theoretically) provides the impetus (or more correctly the hindrance) that subatomic energy needs to be able congeal into a mass.

It is still quite early in the search.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 04 July 2012 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2007-11-09
Kendall Sears - 04 July 2012 06:56 PM
cridgit - 04 July 2012 06:05 PM

Even more pedantic:  Something at around the energy level the Higg’s Boson is theorized to exist at has been observed.

The boson itself is unlikely to ever be found, however the interaction between the boson and the Higgs Field (the field is the important part) is what scientists are looking to find.  It is the Field that (theoretically) provides the impetus (or more correctly the hindrance) that subatomic energy needs to be able congeal into a mass.

It is still quite early in the search.

Kendall

Being further pedantic: There may even be 5 versions of the Higgs particle. So which one was discovered? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10313875

One possible use of finding the Higgs particle could be science developing away to turn off the Higgs field and therefore making rocket payloads very light so less fuel is required to launch them into space. A holiday on Mars could be on the next agenda.grin

Signature 

Eternity’s my home, the Universe my backyard, my mind is a playground, so let’s make it all art. tongue laugh
My little gallery: http://lbamagic.deviantart.com

Posted: 04 July 2012 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7932
Joined  2009-07-13

Hoggs Bison? tongue wink tongue rolleye

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 04 July 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-30

I don’t think you can turn off the Higgs field. But I wonder if by increasing the density, you could create an impermeable field that doesn’t allow energy to pass through (read: shield against asteroids etc.). That’s the biggest problem with space-travel. Not delta-V.

Posted: 04 July 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-30
wendy♥catz - 04 July 2012 07:58 PM

Hoggs Bison? tongue wink tongue rolleye

Higgs bosom… LOL

(very old joke)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/higgs-boson-higgs-bosom_n_1644618.html

Posted: 04 July 2012 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1866
Joined  2006-02-17
Norse Graphics - 04 July 2012 09:19 PM

I don’t think you can turn off the Higgs field. But I wonder if by increasing the density, you could create an impermeable field that doesn’t allow energy to pass through (read: shield against asteroids etc.). That’s the biggest problem with space-travel. Not delta-V.

Not quite.  E=mc^2.  This equation states that as one approaches the speed of light (c) the energy needed to accelerate (e) approaches infinity.  In other words, as long as mass (m) exists one cannot reach, much less exceed “c”.  If we can harness the application of the Higgs Field then it is theoretically possible to convert matter to and from energy.  Currently we can only convert destructively from matter to energy.  If we can convert an object to energy and reduce its mass to 0 then it is theoretically possible to exceed “c”.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 04 July 2012 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  432
Joined  2005-11-06
Kendall Sears - 04 July 2012 09:27 PM
Norse Graphics - 04 July 2012 09:19 PM

Not quite.  E=mc^2.  This equation states that as one approaches the speed of light (c) the energy needed to accelerate (e) approaches infinity.  In other words, as long as mass (m) exists one cannot reach, much less exceed “c”.  If we can harness the application of the Higgs Field then it is theoretically possible to convert matter to and from energy.  Currently we can only convert destructively from matter to energy.  If we can convert an object to energy and reduce its mass to 0 then it is theoretically possible to exceed “c”.

Kendall

Interesting times! If that theory eventually turns out to be a actually possible the implications would be amazing!

Signature 

BEGINNERS TUTORIALS FOR BRYCE
MY DAZ 3d STORE  for Bryce & DAZ Studio Materials and Shaders
BRYCE ARENA News and resources for Bryce

Posted: 05 July 2012 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1057
Joined  2003-10-09

We have the Higgs boson for mass (so glad Higgs himself is still around to enjoy this discovery) and we have the photon (also a boson) for light, well all forms of electro-magnetic energy of which light is a subset. So next up is what? Gravity I presume. It also consists of a field mediated by a particle. No?

Posted: 05 July 2012 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-30

Maybe gravitational waves fluctuates through the Higgs’ fields… (just a dumb comment from me).

Posted: 05 July 2012 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3455
Joined  2009-08-05

These dam scientist Fkers are gonna kill us all. Havent they played half life? Jeez.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 05 July 2012 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
Zev0 - 05 July 2012 04:21 AM

These dam scientist Fkers are gonna kill us all. Havent they played half life? Jeez.

At least they have not dropped a micro Black hole into the center of the earth yet. That we know of….

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 05 July 2012 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

Wonder what Sheldon thinks of this, or how it will effect “the big bang theory”.

Other then that I don’t see how this will effect me in any way.

1 of 2