Digital Art Zone

5 of 31
JULY New Users Contest WIP Thread
Posted: 07 July 2012 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  119
Joined  2012-01-05
Jaderail - 07 July 2012 08:16 PM
They are Dungeons and Dragons Dark elfs. Like the character you have done and my Avatar. My Handle is my D&D character as well as my Avatar..

Thanks for the info. I hope you were not offended by my ignorance.

Szark 08 July 2012 11:50 AM

Excellent posing there version3 (your handle is that becasue your are the third child in your family) Sorry couldn't resist.

Thanks Szark. Ten years ago I went through a major change in my life so I use version3 as a handle to remind me how much I like this one and how easy it would be to end up back in one I don't like.

Posted: 07 July 2012 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8351
Joined  2009-05-14
version3 - 07 July 2012 08:44 PM

Szark 08 July 2012 11:50 AM

Excellent posing there version3 (your handle is that becasue your are the third child in your family) Sorry couldn't resist.

Thanks Szark. Ten years ago I went through a major change in my life so I use version3 as a handle to remind me how much I like this one and how easy it would be to end up back in one I don't like.
Very wise and I like that a lot. I too have gone through some life changes 15 odd years ago and I never want to go back.
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 07 July 2012 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Version3 I'm not offened in the least. Not everyone is into paper RPG's. And I changed fourteen years ago and never looked back.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 07 July 2012 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6159
Joined  2006-08-27
There's some nice stuff here so far.

Let me qualify here, I'm no expert in posing, and I'm definitely no expert on Poser and D/S. I am assuming that each of these programs has tools and modifiers to assist with posing. Don't forget to use them, they can really simplify the process!

I use Carrara and there are multiple tools that are available. My favorite tool is called the Target Helper Object. It's a 3D cross hair that is invisible in the final render. Carrara lacks a drop to floor feature or the ability to lock feet in position directly (as an example). However, using Target Helpers, you can set feet, hands, eyes, cameras, etc. to track, point at, or follow them. I am assuming that D/S and poser probably have similar tools with different names. They come in handy for animations as well.

This image uses Target Helpers for the feet and eyes. There is one for the left foot and one for the right foot. The feet are set to track the Helper's position and orientation. Inverse kinematics allows me to position the feet where I want and then grab any part of the rig I want including the hip and the feet stay put. The eyes are set to point at a Helper. Very helpful if you don't want to spend a lot of time mirroring the eyes' orientation with each other. This pose is not fully refined yet, but it took me longer to find the right camera angle than it did to do the pose.
Image Attachments
Monroe.jpg
Marilyn-Monroe.jpg
Picture_1.png
Picture_2.png
Picture_4.png
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 07 July 2012 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Nice! Not only the pose but the tips. Thanks and it's good to see you this month.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 08 July 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7986
Joined  2006-03-19
Version3, that is a great start. The only thing I can find wrong is what others are talking about. The right arm and wrist need to be a little straighter.
 Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 08 July 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2004-02-13
Sasje - 07 July 2012 02:11 PM
Daz-ann0314 I’ve got your message, I give you a reply only I don’t know if I did it right smile

Yes you did and I got it smile

Since we are all here I can announce too smile

We would like to Congratulate and Welcome Sasje into the Peer Mentor Program. She will be posting here and helping other entrants with any tips etc she can offer as well as posting her progress on her wonderful images as they relate to the contest smile

Thanks so much Sasje for participating in the contests and now for helping others as by being a Peer Mentor smile
 Signature 

Aundrea M Anderson (ann0314) (ARTCollaborations) (ARTCollab)
DAZ3D Community Volunteer Program Manager
DAZ3D PA/Customer Relations Liaison
Co-Owner of ARTCollaborations

Posted: 08 July 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Congratulations Sasje, well deserved and earned.
 Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19
Great to hear Sasje. New users can learn a lot from you.
 Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2012 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-02-13
I thought it worth adding a little note that while the intent of the contest is to get your pose as close to your picture as possible, in some cases you may not be able to due to the joints in the figure you are using. Some twisting and bending etc (while on a human is perfectly natural and doable) may not be possible on the figure you select without some oddity. In cases like that, do as best you can while still getting the pose to look as close as possible.

Also in some cases, like the Marilyn Monroe image above, you may not be able to see all the pose elements (in this case her dress covers her hands) in areas such as that please feel free to pose those areas however you feel would best suite your pose (as evilproducer has done in this case)

I just wanted to point those two things out as I don't want anyone to exclude using a certain image or become frustrated if they can't get the Pose just perfect. smile Sometimes because this is 3D and not real humans you can't always get things identical.

Also one more note, please don't feel you are constrained to only Posing a human smile Feel free to also do animals etc as well. There are tons of running mountain lions and deer and cats curled up who have had their pics taken that would make for perfect references as well smile Though those of the animal kingdom can prove more challenging to Pose smile There are lots of Dragon images online as well and I know the Mil Dragon spends lots of time in my images so if, like me, you are a dragon lover feel free to use that as a subject as well if you choose smile
[ Edited: 08 July 2012 11:50 AM by DAZ_ann0314 ]
 Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8351
Joined  2009-05-14
Jaderail - 08 July 2012 11:44 AM
Congratulations Sasje, well deserved and earned.
I will second that. Nice to see the Peer program starting. I am all a quiver. smile
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 08 July 2012 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-02-13
Additional search topics for our 4 legged friends:
Cats
lolcats
Wild Cats
Dogs
Horses
Dragons
Unicorns

Hope these serve as some additional inspirations smile
 Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3813
Joined  2012-02-06
Congratulations, Sasje! Definitely well-deserved! That pose looks good enough to be marketable.

I'm taking a stab at this. Here's my first effort...I know there's a lot of room for improvement, but just in trying I've learned a lot already. I suspect the hip might be off? My pose lines up pretty well with the reference image (in my opinion) but it looks bad on its own, especially when viewed from another angle. Sorry about the poor resolution of the reference image.
Image Attachments
51C77YENTQL._SS500__.jpg
highking1a.jpg
highking1b.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 08 July 2012 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
Scott-Livingston you sure picked a hard one to try first but did very well at it. I think only the lower right leg and foot are off a little bit. They are hidden in the referance pick but it just looks a bit off to me. More turned out away from the body I think.
Just my 2 cents.
 Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-19
Scott that is a fantastic start. I don't see hardly anything wrong with it. To me it looks like he might be a bit off balance. I think the left foot is turned in a bit to much, but this is just a great start. With a few minor tweaks it can be fabulous.
 Signature 

5 of 31