Decided it was time to stop messing with it.
My entry "GENESIS" has now been posted to the contest thread. As with my first entry, I wanted to provide a little commentary here:
First, on interpretation and meaning: it's probably best not to say too much about this, but I wanted this to have several possible interpretations in addition to the obvious one. It was also my intention from the beginning to leave "Adam" untextured. The rule on nudity was only part of the reason for this.
Some products I used in "Ambush on the High Peaks" made another appearance here: Michael 5, Stefan for M4 and Genesis, Medieval Male Peasant Clothing, Journeyer Scout (the sash), Parkside Point Ground, Light Dome Pro (once again I used one of the jpeg backgrounds, not the lighting itself). Others include Pure Hair Classic (on both figures; untextured and with some of the surfaces hidden on "Adam"), Manly Men M5 (one of the things I used to shape "Adam"), Michael 4 Long Beard (because I was too cheap to buy Unshaven for Genesis), and K4 Basicwear for Genesis (the briefs that come with DS4, used because I made the tunic partially transparent and didn't want to violate the nudity rule).
A few tricks in DS and GIMP I used: on the surfaces tab, turned up Ambient on the "God" figure's eyes to achieve that bright, glowing look. I did some things to the other character's eyes too, but in the end it's not really obvious. The glow near their hands was also achieved without the need for postwork; that's just a carefully-positioned point light. The halo affect started with an Uber Area sphere, and was enhanced by using the smudge tool in GIMP. The smudge tool also helped me smooth out some issues with the sash and with the beard.
The previously-mentioned transparent clothes are a handy thing to know how do: just go to the Surfaces tab and turn down the opacity of the item in question (even going to 90% can increase realism in some instances; this one was set to 70%, I think). I also made heavy use of the softglow filter and the brightness and contrast sliders. I used the cartoon filter on the previous version I posted above, which was one of the elements in the final version. One of the last things I did was to layer together postworked versions (like the one above) and raw renders, and adjusted the opacity of each layer until I got the look I wanted.