1 of 3
UV’d sphere help
Posted: 09 December 2013 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4668
Joined  2004-08-11

Hi,

Need either a mapped sphere that will allow for straight around symmetrical and blended mapping (like applying a cloud map) or instruction on how to do this correctly.  I’ve spent way to much time trying to figure this out.  I’ve tried a premade sphere from DAZ Studio and one from ZBrush but when I apply a map to it it’s all over the place and stretched out.  This will not due.  I’m surprised someone hasn’t come up with an alternative way to UV map something like a sphere to do this rather than relying on making maps in Photoshop.  Should be easy but it’s not and I’m at my wits end. 

Thanks for the help

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 09 December 2013 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  609
Joined  2011-05-31

Like this? The uv map is on the right. This was done in Hexagon.

Image Attachments
Untitled.png
 Signature 

Known as fictionalbookshelf on Renderosity.
My Freebies
My Store

Posted: 09 December 2013 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  448
Joined  2010-02-10

I found this tut for blender that uses follow active quads technique to achieve a result similar to above.
http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/3315/how-to-get-perfect-uv-sphere-mercator-projection

Signature 

Razor42 - DESIGN ANVIL

DESIGN ANVIL DAZ STORE  •  GALLERY  •  DESIGN ANVIL ON FACEHOOK

Posted: 09 December 2013 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Yes, I was able to achieve that in my UV mapping program but there is a very noticeable seam on one side of the sphere and that’s what’s frustrating me.  I don’t know how to match vertice by vertice and I know there is a way to do that because folks that take the time to match up older models UV’s to newer models to share texture maps between them know how to do that and I know it will be tedious but nothing worse that wasting an entire day like I did today.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 09 December 2013 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  194
Joined  2003-10-09

Wolf, Ram, and Hart, I am an admirer of yours, and will try my best to help you.

But you are speaking with such a thick “artist” accent that I am having trouble understanding what you mean by “straight around symmetrical and blended mapping”. I, in return, may be speaking too much “math” for you. Let’s see if we can converge.

I’m also wondering if you’re using “UV Map” when you mean “texture map”, because you mention PhotoShop and UV maps, but UV maps aren’t a PhotoShop capability. The texture map is the flat image (JPEG, PNG, TIFF, HDRI, etc) that gets wrapped around an object, the UV map is the table that translates the 3D coordinates of the object to the 2D coordinates of said picture. A program called an “unwrapper” tears apart the 3D mesh and creates UV map. For a sphere, you don’t need a sophisticated unwrapper, the cylindrical or cube unwrappers built into the free “UV Mapper” program can do what you want (it sounds paradoxical, but avoid UV Mapper’s “spherical” mapping. That actually is a pseudosinusoidal “orange peel” map that is a fracking pain to heal the seams). Just make sure your sphere is a relatively high polygon object, or you’ll get even more distortion and difficulty healing the seams.

What you described sounds like a major problem with seam healing. Can you show us the problem? Is it alignment, or is it brightness or color not matching.

There are many ways to UV map a sphere. Do you want to be able to “paste” a flat image onto the texture map and have it wrap around the sphere in a civilized fashion? Are you hand painting? The most common mapping for things like sky domes is “cylindrical projection” (which is also available on UV Mapper, so it’s handy). A cylindrical projection only has one seam (very easy to deal with, but if you don’t, look out, because it’s major) but is only reasonably distortion-free near the horizon. Distortion increases towards the top (zenith) and bottom (nadir) of the sphere, and at the zenith or nadir themselves, distortion is infinite, so they are very difficult to hand edit. They are a piece of cake to piece together out of multiple overlapping reasonably flat (conventional) pictures of a sky, if you use a panoramic stitching program. The one I normally use for this stuff is called hugin, and it’s a wrapper around a bunch of good programs (“enblend” and “enfuse” that blend pieces of sky or horizon without ugly seams, “panorama tools” to do the actual warping, “SIFT” and other automatic alignment programs).

Hugin supports every major mapping, but you want to use cylindrical or cube for this, matching whichever you chose in uv mapper when you unwrapped the sphere. Cube is a little easier to hand paint than cylindrical, but it’s also more likely to show visible seams. Everything wrong with the Worldbase product stems from a foolish choice of a cube map over cylindrical.

Posted: 09 December 2013 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6435
Joined  2003-10-09

It would depend greatly on what you’re trying to make. A basketball? A planet?
Let’s take for example the planet Earth. You can find some nice free texture maps here:
http://oera.net/How2/TextureMaps2.htm
You’ll notice the textures are stretched at the poles. They also are seamless at the left and right edges. Any spherical object is going to need a uv map created with this type of texture orientation in mind in order to map without distortion.

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
We’ve all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Posted: 09 December 2013 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

You can create a primitive sphere in DS and browse to load it in as a diffuse texture onto the surface and see that it maps well as is.
So it’s really about the map. It has to be pre-stretched at the poles and seamless on the ends. So to make one from scratch, you will probably need a paint program of some kind, whether you use a uv texture map or not.

Image Attachments
earth.JPG
 Signature 

We’ve all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Posted: 09 December 2013 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Hi,

No, I’m looking for a way to UV map a sphere straight around so I can simply apply a texture map that follows it all the way round and blends at the seams.  I’ve tried Spherical and Cylindrical as well as trying out the default ZBrush mapping for the sphere. And while the ZBrush mapping is close it’s a bit chaotic in how it blends around the sphere.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 10 December 2013 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Sorry then Wolfie, that’s the only experience I have with mapping a sphere. Good luck, I hope you find a solution.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2013 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
tjohn - 09 December 2013 11:14 PM

It would depend greatly on what you’re trying to make. A basketball? A planet?

Why would it “depend greatly”?

There’s no practical difference between a planet and a basketball, and used cylindrical maps (like the ones you linked to) on both planets and sporting goods before.

Posted: 10 December 2013 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
RAMWolff - 09 December 2013 11:46 PM

Hi,

No, I’m looking for a way to UV map a sphere straight around so I can simply apply a texture map that follows it all the way round and blends at the seams.  I’ve tried Spherical and Cylindrical as well as trying out the default ZBrush mapping for the sphere. And while the ZBrush mapping is close it’s a bit chaotic in how it blends around the sphere.

Can we see one of these “chaotic” blends? And whatever is going wrong with the cylindrical maps? I’ve been using those for at least 15 years, without things getting “chaotic”.

Posted: 10 December 2013 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

Here is a screen grab from my UV Mapping program.  This is a straight ZBrush mapping.  It’s the one on the left screen side.  Lower left side.  Notice in the mapped sphere how the mapping has a horrible jagged line butting up against the other.  YUKKY.  Can’t use this in animation. 

Image Attachments
ZBrushUV.jpg
 Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 10 December 2013 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1319
Joined  2009-10-27
RAMWolff - 10 December 2013 12:37 AM

Here is a screen grab from my UV Mapping program.  This is a straight ZBrush mapping.  It’s the one on the left screen side.  Lower left side.  Notice in the mapped sphere how the mapping has a horrible jagged line butting up against the other.  YUKKY.  Can’t use this in animation. 

Why don’t you use the UV Master plugin in ZB (which unwrap UV’s automatically) and resave the .obj? That will do.

Signature 

Alessandro’s Store
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 10 December 2013 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15162
Joined  2003-10-09

You are going to have a seam whatever you do, but if you use a plain mapping (by starting with a Poser or DS sphere primitive, for example) you will be able to use seamless patterns to wrap around the sphere without a visible join on a line of latitude. The poles would still need work, however, as the map gets very heavily squeezed.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 10 December 2013 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11
Alessandro_AM - 10 December 2013 03:06 AM
RAMWolff - 10 December 2013 12:37 AM

Why don’t you use the UV Master plugin in ZB (which unwrap UV’s automatically) and resave the .obj? That will do.

Yes, what you see up in my screen shot is a ZB created UV using the UV Master plugin!

Thanks Richard.  I think I tried the mapped Sphere directly from DAZ Studio.  I’ll look that over again .

Thanks.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 10 December 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-11

OMG… spank my bottom and call me Tina….. The sphere from DS is perfectly mapped.  Not sure what I was experiencing yesterday but ...... SIGH…. Thanks Richard.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

1 of 3