This is what happened, as far as I can tell, it took me a while to figure out the cause…
Previous to DIM, I installed everything manually. Everything was working fine.
DIM was introduced. I deleted all previous content and reinstalled all content. At this point applications were not supported. Everything was still fine.
Six months ago (I think) DIM started supporting applications. A month or two after that a DS update was included.
At this point things got funky…
Certain lights wouldn’t work. Some shaders would cause a crash when a render was attempted. Some figures would not load. Gen X failed on use. Other plug ins would return odd behavior.
DIM would return errors on certain packages when an update was available to these items.
The problem was none of these errors were connected. They were intermittent. They didn’t point to one specific problem. CS was unable to determine their causes or a resolution.
Uninstalling these would fix the errors. Temporarily.
Then I realized that DS icons were pointing to different locations. Icons on the desktop were pointing to one install while links under Start menu would point to a different one.
That was when I discovered four or five different DS installations. I tracked these installations down to different updates that DIM installed. I determined this by matching the date created on the directories with the download dates of the software packages.
So last weekend I had no choice but to uninstall everything. All the DS installations. All Carrara installs. All content files. Everything including DIM and CMS.
I then started over, allowing DIM to install DS. Then all additional content. Now all problems have been resolved.