Digital Art Zone

6 of 6
why is the DAZ store so expensive?
Posted: 19 December 2013 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  605
Joined  2003-10-09

I equate DAZ to Arby’s…

The prices are high, but hardly anyone purchases without a coupon of one sort or another.

Signature 

My Gallery

Posted: 19 December 2013 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1820
Joined  2005-06-08

During a discussion of darker skin textures there was mention of Lucie for V1 (yes, V1, the product’s twelve years old).  The chances of me actually using a V1 texture are slim to none, but I’d be willing to spend a few bucks to get a decent look at it.  A few bucks, however, is not twenty bucks, which is (still) its base price . . . even when it hits the next 50% off sale, ten is too pricey for a V1 texture IMHO.  Not likely to see one in FastGrab, either.  downer

Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 19 December 2013 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11195
Joined  2007-11-06
Legionair - 19 December 2013 01:02 PM

I equate DAZ to Arby’s…

The prices are high, but hardly anyone purchases without a coupon of one sort or another.

...however at last Daz doesn’t give me indigestion. wink

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 19 December 2013 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1304
Joined  2010-09-29
Kyoto Kid - 19 December 2013 03:29 PM

I equate DAZ to Arby’s…

Some of us love Arby’s despite the indigestion.

Posted: 19 December 2013 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2006-09-14

I equate DAZ to Arby’s…

+100

Signature 

My life and times: http://bryonlape.com/

Posted: 19 December 2013 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
DAZ_jared - 19 December 2013 05:49 PM

I equate DAZ to Arby’s…

Some of us love Arby’s despite the indigestion.

...when you’re my age, it is definitely not a pleasant experience.

This is why I am glad I know how to pick the right ingredients and cook.

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1317
Joined  2012-10-10
Ryuu@AMcCF - 05 December 2013 02:15 PM
FirstBastion - 05 December 2013 08:37 AM

You want to talk expensive have a gander at turbosquid.  http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/People

Daz prices have always been very reasonable for the work involved to create them.

Heh! That was my first thought, too.

The first few years, I was buying stuff here at full price….I spent about $500
Then I started jumping on sales whenever they popped up….I spent about $1000
then joined PC….I spent about $20k!

NOT kidding!

But I do have about 20-30Gig of good quality stuff from here for almost nothing.

Rendosity & the other Rendo, not nearly as much—maybe about $100 each from them—but good quality stuff there, too.

But looking through Turbo—HOLY CRAP! big surprise
And most stuff there looks like crap & they STILL want $100s for it.
On top of that, you can find many works by the same artists elsewhere for next to nothing, but @ turbo, again, they STILL want $100s-$1000s for them—that, I don’t understand.
I’ve only bought 3 items from there: 2 @ $1000 each & 1 @ $60, and ONLY because there was no other place to get them and I absolutely needed to get them.

I’d say it depends. There are a few vendors who mainly make free buildings and yes, only ShareCG can compete with them when it comes to freebie houses and such. I guess the prices are due to what someone mentioned - Maclean I guess - the artists buying them work for companies which can pay for that - and the software is different. I would be far from comparing DAZ/Rendo/RDNA with T-Squid.

For me, rendering is a pastime, so I mainly use what I can find without paying. There are things I gladly paid for (like Courageous, but DAZ not supporting Genesis with the set is another matter). Still, I usually frequent freebie sites. It depends on what I need.

ShareCG is the most versatile for me (and has Wilmap, Eblank, Gendragon, Mylochka, Dyald, Rose, ShiftingImages, Sickleyield, Chacornac, Arah and many others). Clothes are just as good as purchasables (for my taste, mind it’s subjective). Currently most plants I use come from either ShareCG or RuntimeDNA. I also highly value Most-Digital-Creations (and you can see the sets support V4, Genesis with V5, Gen2F with V6 and when it comes to poses, sometimes even Dawn). The prices are much lower and cover various models, so - as the textures are very realistic, real-life women with typical flairs like goosebumps even - it’s a good choice. What I mainly need from shops is a variety of hairstyles (I wish I knew 3D earlier when Lisbeth, DigitalBabes2.com, The3DZone, Michy and Yanelis were still operating). Poses are never a problem, because I can make them myself, it’s just a matter of imagination and minding the physics. Still, morphs need to be purchased: I’d never do without Creature Creator, Gorilla, Anubis and Evolution.

As you can see, every shop has its pros and cons. One needs to remember about the nationality: what is cheap for people who use dollars is a pricey thing in Europe (if euro is not your currency yet). I wish the membership at DAZ could be divided as previously - paying $70 one-time is a bit too much. If it was extended in time, I guess many people from Central Europe, let’s say, could afford it.

Signature 

A PA sale creeps upon a victim from behind, punches it in the rear and runs away with its wallet.

Posted: 20 December 2013 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3573
Joined  2012-02-06
cecilia.robinson - 20 December 2013 08:57 AM

(I wish I knew 3D earlier when Lisbeth, DigitalBabes2.com, The3DZone, Michy and Yanelis were still operating). Poses are never a problem, because I can make them myself, it’s just a matter of imagination and minding the physics. Still, morphs need to be purchased: I’d never do without Creature Creator, Gorilla, Anubis and Evolution.

As you can see, every shop has its pros and cons. One needs to remember about the nationality: what is cheap for people who use dollars is a pricey thing in Europe (if euro is not your currency yet). I wish the membership at DAZ could be divided as previously - paying $70 one-time is a bit too much. If it was extended in time, I guess many people from Central Europe, let’s say, could afford it.

You can download Kozaburo’s free hairstyles from digitalbabes.jp (seems to still function—of course the hair was made for older figures, but with tweaking I’m sure they can work with newer figures).

And you can buy a three-month subscription to the Platinum Club for just $24 US…this is actually a lot cheaper than it used to be ($30 just for the first month, including the startup fee which they no longer charge). Lots of great hair to be found in the PC category.

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 20 December 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Scott-Livingston - 20 December 2013 09:17 AM

(I wish I knew 3D earlier when Lisbeth, DigitalBabes2.com, The3DZone, Michy and Yanelis were still operating). Poses are never a problem, because I can make them myself, it’s just a matter of imagination and minding the physics. Still, morphs need to be purchased: I’d never do without Creature Creator, Gorilla, Anubis and Evolution.

You can download Kozaburo’s free hairstyles from digitalbabes.jp (seems to still function—of course the hair was made for older figures, but with tweaking I’m sure they can work with newer figures).

And you can buy a three-month subscription to the Platinum Club for just $24 US…this is actually a lot cheaper than it used to be ($30 just for the first month, including the startup fee which they no longer charge). Lots of great hair to be found in the PC category.

Thank you, Scott. I know the Japanese site works (I have those sets), but it’s the other one I look for. I managed to resurrect it for long enough to grab Sumire and Moko (via WaybackMachine), but other sets cannot be found. I plan to contact The3DZone via RDNA mail and Yanelis through Rendo’s, maybe they’ll reply.

The three-month subscription is much better, although still there’s a question: when it’s better to try to get it: November-December-January (Black Friday, Christmas, New Year…) or March plus something (March Madness)?

Signature 

A PA sale creeps upon a victim from behind, punches it in the rear and runs away with its wallet.

Posted: 20 December 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2003-10-09

I have had my credit card held hostage here at DAZ from long before it was DAZ (Zygote when I first found Poser).
As much as I have been adicted in the offerings for Poser4 and now Poser7 I am saving a bundle of money on any new offerings because i have no real interest in learning D/S or Poser9/10/11/etc. and because of that I also have no need for any of the new stuff which requires DSON or minimum P9 to work. I have the PC membership and will keep it active month to month as long as DAZ continues offering some stuff compatible with my Poser7 and Mil4 figures. When the day comes and it will, when that will no longer be the case is the day I will sadly cancel my membership here as well.

It is in fact very frustrating seeing what I am missing out on with the whole Genesis line of meshes. I thought DAZ was going to do that when they developed the supposed Unimesh Figures in the Mil1/2 figures but that wasn’t the case as it wasn’t the case with the Mil3 figures either. Now that they did finally get it together I can’t use them…go figure!  :(

Posted: 20 December 2013 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

You want to talk expensive have a gander at turbosquid.  http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/People

Daz prices have always been very reasonable for the work involved to create them.

NOT kidding!

But I do have about 20-30Gig of good quality stuff from here for almost nothing.

Rendosity & the other Rendo, not nearly as much—maybe about $100 each from them—but good quality stuff there, too.

On top of that, you can find many works by the same artists elsewhere for next to nothing, but @ turbo, again, they STILL want $100s-$1000s for them—that, I don’t understand.
I’ve only bought 3 items from there: 2 @ $1000 each & 1 @ $60, and ONLY because there was no other place to get them and I absolutely needed to get them.

I’d say it depends. There are a few vendors who mainly make free buildings and yes, only ShareCG can compete with them when it comes to freebie houses and such. I guess the prices are due to what someone mentioned - Maclean I guess - the artists buying them work for companies which can pay for that - and the software is different. I would be far from comparing DAZ/Rendo/RDNA with T-Squid.

For me, rendering is a pastime, so I mainly use what I can find without paying. There are things I gladly paid for (like Courageous, but DAZ not supporting Genesis with the set is another matter). Still, I usually frequent freebie sites. It depends on what I need.

ShareCG is the most versatile for me (and has Wilmap, Eblank, Gendragon, Mylochka, Dyald, Rose, ShiftingImages, Sickleyield, Chacornac, Arah and many others). Clothes are just as good as purchasables (for my taste, mind it’s subjective). Currently most plants I use come from either ShareCG or RuntimeDNA. I also highly value Most-Digital-Creations (and you can see the sets support V4, Genesis with V5, Gen2F with V6 and when it comes to poses, sometimes even Dawn). The prices are much lower and cover various models, so - as the textures are very realistic, real-life women with typical flairs like goosebumps even - it’s a good choice. What I mainly need from shops is a variety of hairstyles (I wish I knew 3D earlier when Lisbeth, DigitalBabes2.com, The3DZone, Michy and Yanelis were still operating). Poses are never a problem, because I can make them myself, it’s just a matter of imagination and minding the physics. Still, morphs need to be purchased: I’d never do without Creature Creator, Gorilla, Anubis and Evolution.

...I’ve downloaded several freebies from TS, in.obj or.3DS format (the latter converted in Hexagon by simply by importing than saving as a .obj) and was able to use them. in my scenes.

The only item in their store of interest to me (where I’d actually pay their price) is the Kawai EX grand piano (124$) as nobody in the Daz/Poser world has yet to offer an authentic, properly detailed and proportioned 9’ concert hall grand piano (and trust me, I have done a lot of searching around in 3D stores and on free sites). As the illustrations for the story I have been working on centre around music and involve performance scenes, accuracy for me is important .  In a way it’s no different from someone who does WWII scenes which require accurate models of vehicles, amour, aircraft, uniforms, equipment, and weapons.

Signature 

Posted: 23 December 2013 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10
Kyoto Kid - 20 December 2013 12:50 PM

NOT kidding!

...I’ve downloaded several freebies from TS, in.obj or.3DS format (the latter converted in Hexagon by simply by importing than saving as a .obj) and was able to use them. in my scenes.

The only item in their store of interest to me (where I’d actually pay their price) is the Kawai EX grand piano (124$) as nobody in the Daz/Poser world has yet to offer an authentic, properly detailed and proportioned 9’ concert hall grand piano (and trust me, I have done a lot of searching around in 3D stores and on free sites). As the illustrations for the story I have been working on centre around music and involve performance scenes, accuracy for me is important .  In a way it’s no different from someone who does WWII scenes which require accurate models of vehicles, amour, aircraft, uniforms, equipment, and weapons.

Yes, sometimes you need perfect accuracy and then you have problems. By the way, did you try on CGAxis? They have pretty many realistic models, instruments too, I think. OBJ format is among many others (usually included in the pack, but I may be wrong, because I only used their freebies, which had OBJ included). And there are some free packs until the end of the year, which contain some highly realistic scenes with appropriate objects.

Signature 

Posted: 23 December 2013 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...thank you just checked and yes they have a grand and while it is nicely detailed (even to the the cross stinging) the keyboard compass is incorrect stating at baritone C instead of A   Were that not the case, I could have used it for closeup scenes.

I’m really surprised that someone here (like Ness Period Reproductions) hasn’t made one, especially considering the nicely detailed Harpsichord (which I have) that even has articulated keys.  I mean it is such a common fixture of the concert stage and shouldn’t be that difficult to get the proportions and details correct.

It doesn’t even need rigged keys (I can do that myself as long as the Keyboard is fully modelled).

Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2013 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-10-10

You could request they correct that, although if you’re not illustrating a professional music magazine or a manual, few people will notice, especially if a beautiful lady is playing…

Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1368
Joined  2010-03-25

I learned to wait a month or 2 and I can usually pick up the item on a sale most times with 50% off or more.  and if your patient for March Madness you can get products for around 70% off
Other than genesis figure characters & clothing, which I don’t use because I’m a poser users.
I still buy a lot products here at daz.. I think the quality of models you get here are far better than a lot of other 3d stores on the internet.

Plus Daz has always been very good to me when i have a billing problem or a technical issue. which you really have to take into consideration when work with the 3d market.  You just have to be wise.

BTW I did my grand total this year for all my credit card purchases this year from all 3d stores I buy from . .OMG ha ha ha .lol
lets just put it this way it was less this year because I bought a few less characters. But my husband was shocked i spent so much and said we could have taken a nice month long Vacation or Alaskan cruise .lol

Signature 

My Daz & Poser animations & art work
http://www.youtube.com/user/IvySummers1
My Art on Google
http://plus.google.com/+IvySummers

6 of 6