3 of 6
why is the DAZ store so expensive?
Posted: 05 December 2013 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2012-07-13
XoechZ - 05 December 2013 08:30 AM

Not talking about new stuff, which everyone wants to have. But take a look at older things, especially clothes for Victoria 4. These are still way too expensive in my eyes. Why is that so? Most of the old V4 clothes are still in the 20 $ range - or more.

Looking at other shops, I see that I can get similar clothes for V4 with the same (or even better) quality for less than 10 $. So why should I buy here? I think DAZ should be aware of that.

What do you think?

Are you a premium member? If so, you’ll get access to special stores sales that will make the prices a lot more affordable. You should never have to pay over $20 for a clothing item. I’ve never done that and have never had to.

Posted: 05 December 2013 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1442
Joined  2010-06-29

well some daz prices seems to be high but I think over all it is okay. Okay, must say in the meanwhile most clothes I have for v4.2 for example are created by 3D-Age at renderosity and they are less expensive and totally great and have a lot add ons on textures by other vendors (sure, some older ones must fixed manually to fit the v4.2 morphs the newer ones do it automatically) but over all I like the clothes because of looking and last but not least of the huge number of adjustment and deformer morphs additional to all, really all morph++ not only some. 3D-Age uses all morphs++ for the clothes. And the newer ones have really great and brilliant adjustments and deformer morphs. But that is just my opinion. Most M4 clothes are also from Renderosity but that is just a matter of taste, what you like to have for your character and who has it.

If it comes to architecture and probs the DAZ Store rules with absolutely high quality products that are worth the money. Flipmode, First Bastion, Jack Tomalin, Stonemason, Predatron, ARTCollaborations NeilV 1, Nerd3D, TheAntFarm and a lot of more totally great artists (sorry for all that I have not named) and if you pay for the platinum club you get a lot of stuff for just a view dollars. So on architecture and probs DAZ is really great.

Signature 

Samples of my renders by cosmo

Every day is your day - not the day of other people - So live your life, not the lifes of others and enjoy it

Posted: 05 December 2013 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10721
Joined  2007-11-06

..I still purchase items from Rendo. 

I feel when it comes to vehicles and aircraft, Rendo has a much better selection of more authentic looking historic and contemporary vehicles and aircraft.  The same goes for cyberfuture/post apocalyptic settings, props and clothing.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 05 December 2013 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2003-10-09
Dream Cutter - 05 December 2013 04:06 PM

Also I NEVER GET a logical answer to this: - Why dont more PA’s offer game publishing license options?  I cant see any more risk or exposure to piriating so why after incurring product development costs, are they not maximizing the sales opportunities??

I think it’s because most PAs know nothing about gaming. I certainly don’t, and I only found out by accident that I could arrange for a gaming license for my products. At the time of the gaming push by DAZ, I assumed they would deal with the licensing, but when that fell through, I just thought it was no longer an option.

mac.

Posted: 05 December 2013 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  415
Joined  2013-03-26

I have to say I think the prices here are fine.  I have only ever had to return a few things, and those were usually because of my noobness of first starting daz and not knowing how anything worked, or I’d purchase something, use it, and realize I can do it myself and then return.  Other than that I have been happy with all my other purchases.

Renderosity has a few things I like, mostly some hairs, some props.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much V4 stuff for my liking, it’s almost sickening, but that’s just me.

Signature 

My gallery~
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/166/

Posted: 05 December 2013 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1442
Joined  2010-06-29
Sorel - 05 December 2013 05:29 PM

I have to say I think the prices here are fine.  I have only ever had to return a few things, and those were usually because of my noobness of first starting daz and not knowing how anything worked, or I’d purchase something, use it, and realize I can do it myself and then return.  Other than that I have been happy with all my other purchases.

Renderosity has a few things I like, mostly some hairs, some props.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much V4 stuff for my liking, it’s almost sickening, but that’s just me.

well it is because I think rendo customers are mostly poser addicts and poser addicts like v4.2 more than genesis and all the new figures (I am a daz user but I also like v4.2 more than the other new figures)

Signature 

Samples of my renders by cosmo

Every day is your day - not the day of other people - So live your life, not the lifes of others and enjoy it

Posted: 05 December 2013 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  924
Joined  2011-05-19
maclean - 05 December 2013 04:56 PM

Also I NEVER GET a logical answer to this: - Why dont more PA’s offer game publishing license options?  I cant see any more risk or exposure to piriating so why after incurring product development costs, are they not maximizing the sales opportunities??

I think it’s because most PAs know nothing about gaming. I certainly don’t, and I only found out by accident that I could arrange for a gaming license for my products. At the time of the gaming push by DAZ, I assumed they would deal with the licensing, but when that fell through, I just thought it was no longer an option.

mac.

That’s my point precisley. Why is not DAZ this encouraging more to PAs? With DS Decimator its so easy to implement so the PA need do nothing more to products.  Incedently 3d Universe btw does publish its fee - a multiple of standard license fist so at least they too are easy to use in games.

Signature 

Enjoy my games & freebie content created with DAZ 3D:

3dSkyDome.com - Curiosity killed the browser, 3d R&D

3Dnld My Freebies & Games - Farm Peeps Farm Theme 3D Stuff

Posted: 05 December 2013 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2553
Joined  2004-04-25
Dream Cutter - 05 December 2013 06:23 PM

mac.

That’s my point precisley. Why is not DAZ this encouraging more to PAs? With DS Decimator its so easy to implement so the PA need do nothing more to products.  Incedently 3d Universe btw does publish its fee - a multiple of standard license fist so at least they too are easy to use in games.

Why doesn’t DAZ push PA’s to offer gaming licenses, it’s probably a liability issue.  If a PA comes to the decision on their own, it’s their decision.  If DAZ pushes them and something goes south, you open a whole load of issues. 

3DUniverse offers the license on their own site.  Nothing is offered through DAZ. 

There will also be those PA’s who will not want to have to deal with things like gaming licenses.  It would become another added administrative task added to what they already have to manage.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 05 December 2013 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  924
Joined  2011-05-19
icprncss - 05 December 2013 07:58 PM
Dream Cutter - 05 December 2013 06:23 PM

mac.

Why doesn’t DAZ push PA’s to offer gaming licenses, it’s probably a liability issue.  If a PA comes to the decision on their own, it’s their decision.  If DAZ pushes them and something goes south, you open a whole load of issues. 

3DUniverse offers the license on their own site.  Nothing is offered through DAZ. 

There will also be those PA’s who will not want to have to deal with things like gaming licenses.  It would become another added administrative task added to what they already have to manage.

I am not suggesting arm twisting, or anything more than the store does to encourage PA’s in general to make content.  Regardless of the motivation, what / why would there be ,ore lability with users ability to publish indy 3d games and real-time rendered media.  As long as original quality, discrete licensed assets and not able to be exposed using conventional means (ie not violating most 3d publishine TOS/EULA) , where is the additional risk?  Its really the sames as a 2d render being published on the web, video or published in paper.

Signature 

Enjoy my games & freebie content created with DAZ 3D:

3dSkyDome.com - Curiosity killed the browser, 3d R&D

3Dnld My Freebies & Games - Farm Peeps Farm Theme 3D Stuff

Posted: 05 December 2013 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2054
Joined  2003-10-09

people who complain about prices should do what i do. Get really good at your art so that you can just win everything, that way its free smile

Posted: 05 December 2013 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2010-10-15
LycanthropeX - 05 December 2013 08:34 PM

people who complain about prices should do what i do. Get really good at your art so that you can just win everything, that way its free smile

Or get good at making things. That’s what I’m working on.

Posted: 05 December 2013 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...I’m trying, I’m trying. 

...though I did take 2nd place in the October RRRR challenge.

Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2013 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2054
Joined  2003-10-09
nobody1954 - 05 December 2013 09:41 PM

Thing 1 and Thing 2 ?

Posted: 05 December 2013 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

....well if Hexagon didn’t have all the stability of an overloaded container ship in a north Atlantic storm or Blender didn’t require an Enigma machine to decipher it’s UI, I would.

Signature 

Posted: 05 December 2013 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2010-10-15
Kyoto Kid - 05 December 2013 09:51 PM

....well if Hexagon didn’t have all the stability of an overloaded container ship in a north Atlantic storm or Blender didn’t require an Enigma machine to decipher it’s UI, I would.

Agreed. There is a new version of Wings 3D out. Not as versatile as Blender, but a much simpler modeling interface.

3 of 6