Digital Art Zone

1 of 6
why is the DAZ store so expensive?
Posted: 05 December 2013 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2011-08-05

Not talking about new stuff, which everyone wants to have. But take a look at older things, especially clothes for Victoria 4. These are still way too expensive in my eyes. Why is that so? Most of the old V4 clothes are still in the 20 $ range - or more.

Looking at other shops, I see that I can get similar clothes for V4 with the same (or even better) quality for less than 10 $. So why should I buy here? I think DAZ should be aware of that.

What do you think?

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery
Me on DeviantArt

Posted: 05 December 2013 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2008-02-14

You want to talk expensive have a gander at turbosquid.  http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/People

Daz prices have always been very reasonable for the work involved to create them.

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 05 December 2013 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  855
Joined  2005-11-06

Guess we are seeing different stores, because I see just the opposite around the web. While there are a few vendors that are way overpriced here at DAZ, if you are patient and wait for sales, you can pretty much get the whole store at really low prices.
Quality here really depends on the vendor like at other stores, but for the most part it is pretty high.
In the context of 3d content, items for DS and Poser are VERY cheap compared to other stores, just look at Turbosquid which caters to a different client and use.

To be fair, try making your own quality content and you’ll see how much work is involved.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 05 December 2013 08:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-08-05

Ok, I understand your point of view with the work involved.

What I wanted to point out is that there should be a difference between new content which is generally better selling and old content which is (I guess) almost not selling any more. Generally older items are always cheaper than newer items.

What do you think - or do you know - how many people still buy old and outdated clothes for V4? Especially if they still cost 20$ or more? Maybe people (like me) would still buy those things if they were cheaper.

This is my point of view and I hope you understand it too. I think this is normal economy thinking - push older stuff with lower prices. Not?

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery
Me on DeviantArt

Posted: 05 December 2013 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1632
Joined  2008-02-14

I do not think you should make the assumption that old products do not still sell well.  Quality products have a long shelf life.

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 05 December 2013 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5708
Joined  2006-02-20

Usually here there is a price for an item and it stays at that price.
Perhaps because of the 30 days money back guarantee (if you buy something and in the next 30 days it is lower in price, you get the difference). In other stores there isn’t any of that guarantee.
Just for fun: the older items here are for M2/V2 - and they DO sell:
http://www.daz3d.com/john-malis-1

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 05 December 2013 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2655
Joined  2004-04-25

DAZ Originals or PA products?  Many of the DO’s for V4 run list price under $20, some under $15.  If you are PC member, you get an automatic 30% discount on all DAZ Original items.  There are many items for V4 in the PC for $1.99. 

If it is a PA product (one that does not list DAZ3D among the vendors) then the price is set by the PA.  If you check fast grab daily, you will find many items for V4 and other figures for 70% off.  In fact, there is an outfit for V4 in fast grab right now for $7 and change. 

Are the products selling for under $10 at regular pricing or sale pricing?  Clearance pricing at Rendo or Deep Freeze (permanent price reduction) at RDNA?

Most of the recently released items for V4 I’ve looked at over at Rendo have been carrying list prices close to the $20 mark.  There are some PA items that I think are a bit over priced.  One vendor has an entire line of shirts for V4 that I consider to be a bit on the pricey side.  But that’s just my opinion. 

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 05 December 2013 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10491
Joined  2005-10-07

it’s what makes sales so exciting. LOL 

though, this year’s antics with the pa sale ruined the joy for me this year, and i won’t look forward to it next year.  iz a bygone era.

Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   °
DSP4.6.2.118 Valentina Luxus ManualD/L C85P PP12 W3d99.5

Posted: 05 December 2013 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2005-01-31

Maybe I am wrong but I have the feeling that V4 items still sells a lot maybe even more than genesis items just by the fact that most poser users are stuck in V4. I feel pitty for them, well not really, I am very happy with G2 and the prices and if u become PC memeber prices are very resonable. For example is like the main figures pro bundles, I think very few people would buy for 125$ but with all discounts and specially PC memebers discounts they are about 40$ when released, add the conversion to € and I think is very good and fair price. Also there is lot of freebies and 2$ items wuch again converted to € is like buying a coffee in Europe.

Posted: 05 December 2013 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-08-05

To be honest, I buy a lot more on Renderosity than here these days. Why?

First, I am not buying things because they are cheap (on sale) and maybe I can use them some day. I only buy the things that I need. This leads to the next point.

Second, on Renderosity I have a bigger variety of products (my personal opinion for my needs) at (usually) lower prices.

And third, the TOS at Rendo allow a much closer look at the things you buy, which is also an important factor. Thats why the 30 day money back thing here at DAZ is so important. Most of the times you can only guess what is really possible with some of the outfits and you only see that after buying.

But we all have the freedom of choice, so everyone can do what he wants.

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery
Me on DeviantArt

Posted: 05 December 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15587
Joined  2003-10-09

I am the opposite to you. I used to buy quite a lot from other sites, but just checked and the last time I actually purchased an item from Rend was almost a year ago, and yet just yesterday I bought 7 items from the DAZ 3D store + a freebie.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 December 2013 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  392
Joined  2011-05-27

The most expensive thing I ever saw was at Rendo.  It was listed at about $5000 if I remember correctly, for a new figure.  Course it was a typo but still…...

wink

Signature 

DAZ Studio 4 Pro user, Poser Pro 2012 user, Bryce 7 Pro user, Vue 8 Complete user, Photoshop CS4 user.

Posted: 05 December 2013 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  691
Joined  2010-03-13
XoechZ - 05 December 2013 10:38 AM

To be honest, I buy a lot more on Renderosity than here these days ...

For me it is a bit like the opposite. I buy more at Daz store simply because for me personally the quality standard in the Daz store here is much, much higher and also the items sold here are more to my taste. Of course there are some specific vendors at other stores who produce very high quality as well and quite often it happens that those vendors are selling in the Daz store as a PA, too. Naturally, if a store has got a lower quality bar with regards to which products get sold then of course you have more “variety” so to say, but that is a form of variety I can very much live without.

As for the pricing here, I think it is fair, though it depends on the respective PA a bit. Some PAs do have a higher price tag, but quite often this goes along with a higher quality. Some PAs offer really great quality for low prices - I am not naming those PAs to not convince them to do it differently from now on raspberry. Also keep in mind the 30 day money-back guarantee and other services like support Daz offers, whereas at many other stores those ‘services’ have to be covered by the PAs themselves - and sometimes in a quite ridiculous manner. For older products I can see the point at times, they seem to be stuck at the original price they have been published, but usually you get good deals on about everything in the Daz store at specific sales and that is what I am aiming for.

So to sum it up: I am feeling rather comfy here in the Daz zone. Home sweet home! smile

Posted: 05 December 2013 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  855
Joined  2005-11-06
XoechZ - 05 December 2013 10:38 AM

To be honest, I buy a lot more on Renderosity than here these days. Why?

First, I am not buying things because they are cheap (on sale) and maybe I can use them some day. I only buy the things that I need. This leads to the next point.

Second, on Renderosity I have a bigger variety of products (my personal opinion for my needs) at (usually) lower prices.

And third, the TOS at Rendo allow a much closer look at the things you buy, which is also an important factor. Thats why the 30 day money back thing here at DAZ is so important. Most of the times you can only guess what is really possible with some of the outfits and you only see that after buying.

But we all have the freedom of choice, so everyone can do what he wants.

I buy at other stores more than here also and for similar reasons, what i need, when i need it, better promos that show all the product, etc. Personally, while there is more variety at Rendo, the quality is all over the place and it seems they let anyone sell any item, unlike here where there is some consistency with quality.
this is a small market and I am all for as many stores as came make a buck, more variety means more options. The market will dictate the price, vote with your wallets.

It’s funny, I can think of one vendor here that makes quality detailed outfits with detailed mesh, but charges way to much for a single item, no way for me to justify that price, yet due to the many sales here, I have quite a few of their items, As for buying older items, I constantly purchase older items for V4, even been buying older V3 stuff lately since it works on genesis really well.

With the sale that DAZ just had, the sale at RDNA, the sales at rendo and the sale at Xurge3D, my bank account is going down fast, LOL.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 05 December 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  962
Joined  2011-05-19

That depends what your value & benefit you are after….
DAZ Still offers biggest bang for my buck.
My budget puts $250/mo towards my content library.  I have a “hobby” (small business operating at a loss) making 3d media publications - 3d games, 3d websites and Story Illustrations . Therefore I focus my purchased on content that can be licensed for games, and find content limited to only 2D representations too limiting for future use.  Because 3d publishing licenses are available for DAZ Originals and RawArt, most of my library is made of this content.  Therefore I get the most value (bang for the buck) with DAZ where about $180-200 is spent per month.
However I notice that as my library builds and purchasing options reduce at DAZ that I am looking at other sources.  The sales and bundle promos accelerate catalog depletion rate enormously. smile Taking up the slack is easier now because recently Rendo adjusted their license terms and clarified how the content may be used in 3d (real-time) rendering publications and games without additional expense.  Same with several other smaller 3d content vendors (like YURdigital), so I anticipate exploring other sources this winter.  However - what I did not expect was Genesis 2. - Although it has been a budget buster this season because most DO - PC content will be developed for this going forward I took the plunge and in the bath too.  HD does not interest me now, but I think it will keep the G2 content relevant well into the next decade as game engines (and asset obfuscation) technologies mature. Diversity and competition is a good thing, keeps technical advancements and creative energy flowing.

Signature 

Enjoy my games & freebie content created with DAZ 3D:

3dSkyDome.com - Curiosity killed the browser, 3d R&D

3Dnld My Freebies & Games - Farm Peeps Farm Theme 3D Stuff

Posted: 05 December 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  430
Joined  2004-04-05

there was an item I bought at Poser Pros(i think that’s what it was called) that was for Hiro 3 and David 3, I can’t find the installer so I would definitely buy it again here if it was ever re-released, I know the chances of that happening are very unlikely but some items were ported over, it was very well done

1 of 6