Digital Art Zone

2 of 4
Help needed, please: M4 Skins Auto Converter For G 2 Males
Posted: 04 December 2013 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-02-28

Anyone know how I can contact Slosh myself?  There doesn’t seem to be any contact info associated with his merchant page.

Posted: 04 December 2013 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15144
Joined  2003-10-09

Find one of his posts and click the PM button under his avatar. He did post earlier in this thread.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 04 December 2013 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-02-28

Thanks!

Of course, I figured that out after posting and have been in contact with him since.

Posted: 04 December 2013 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7482
Joined  2006-03-19

Type the name in the search field of the member list and it will bring you to his profile page and you can PM from there. The member list is here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/member/memberlist/

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 05 December 2013 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-10-05

Slosh, thanks for commenting on your product. I have already taken many of my M4 headshapes, custom morphs, etc and transferred them to first Genesis figures. Nice to see WERTS celebrity characters in Genesis. Having a Samuel L Jackson head mixed with custom Genesis 1 figures has been a joy.

With your plugin, are we able to save those figures and import them into Gen2?
Said differently, lets say, someone has M4 Hazai character, they save it for DUF compliance, which setting would they set and can that then be imported to Genesis2 via your tools?

If so, good price, good tool, sorry I missed the sale price, but still worth $15.

Posted: 13 December 2013 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2301
Joined  2007-12-13

I’ve used the M4 Skins Auto Converter to transfer the M4 Elite Rob and Lee textures to M6, and this seems to go fine. I then change the shader from the EHSS to the SubSurface Base shader. Having changed all the surface settings to those of the M6 HD Bjorn texture, something goes awry with the ears, they don’t match the rest of the head. I’ve tried everything I can think of with the shader and it doesn’t seem to make any difference. Has something strange happened when the textures were transferred!?

I’ve posted the Lee render as you notice the ears more. I have downloaded the new version of DS and will install that and reinstall the shader, just in case.

Has anyone else had any odd texture issues!?

CHEERS!

Image Attachments
M6_Lee_AAL.jpg

Posted: 13 December 2013 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  786
Joined  2010-05-08

I have not tried any of this yet, but I did watch a video on youtube that mentioned if you have an issue with the ear that it could be corrected by removing the negative bump…

I do not have the link as I downloaded the video, but the video is called

Upgrade Your Old V4 Textures Walkthrough Tutorial

maybe this will help

Posted: 14 December 2013 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

Thanks,

I’ll give that a try.

CHEERS!

Posted: 14 December 2013 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

I tried turning off the negative bump and it didn’t have any effect. It’s definitely a converter issue as I reloaded the texture and just rendered what loaded. You can still see a clear line around the front edge of the ear. I also ran the V4 version of the script and then changed the UV, still the same thing. I loaded and rendered the material as standard and the issue persisted, so it isn’t the shader.

The error appears to be in the script itself as I made my own DUF by saving a preset and as you can now see below the texture loads and renders just fine.

Looks like an update of the converter may be on the cards

CHEERS!

Image Attachments
M6_Lee_AAL_2.jpgM6_Lee_AAL_3.jpg

Posted: 14 December 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-08

good to know, thanks
I am still trying to decide if I want to purchase the converters or go the manual route
I have lots and lots of textures for v4 and but a few for m4

one thing I noticed when going the manual route was that I lost the shader on v6/m6 skins… when I loaded an updated v4/m4 duf skin the surfaces returned to the daz default materials surfaces

I have now figured out, I believe, that it is the elite human surface skin shader and not the AoA SSS shader that is applied to the default v6/m6

Something I would like to know for sure… If the V4/M4 skin pz or whatever file is using the default daz surfaces, does the converter also revert the v6/m6 surfaces to the default daz shader - or is the converter smart enough to keep the v6/m6 shader and just overlay the texture maps?

Until I know this, I think I am going to have to just modify a skin as it is used and not bother with mass conversions

Posted: 14 December 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

From what I can gather, the G2M has the M5 Philip texture which had the EHSS, M6 and M6 HD load with textures that use the SSS Base shader. G2F has the V5 Bree texture which uses the EHSS and Gia, V6, V6 HD and Josie all use the SSS Base.

The converter does something odd when it loads the textures and I wouldn’t use it till Slosh figures out what went wrong and does an update. The clone UV’s for V4 and M4 are fine.

CHEERS!

Posted: 14 December 2013 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-08
Rogerbee - 14 December 2013 10:22 AM

From what I can gather, the G2M has the M5 Philip texture which had the EHSS, M6 and M6 HD load with textures that use the SSS Base shader. G2F has the V5 Bree texture which uses the EHSS and Gia, V6, V6 HD and Josie all use the SSS Base.

The converter does something odd when it loads the textures and I wouldn’t use it till Slosh figures out what went wrong and does an update. The clone UV’s for V4 and M4 are fine.

CHEERS!

Thanks for the info on the different usages on shaders based upon loaded character, that helps.

Even though there is an issue could you please tell me, does an old M4 texture that uses the daz default shader surfaces convert the loaded G2M character to also be the daz default shader surfaces - or - does the converter keep the currently loaded shader surfaces and simply overlay the textures? This answer will determine my final purchase decisions.

Posted: 14 December 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13433
Joined  2003-10-09

A material preset will include the shader used unless told not to on saving - however you can usually reapply the shader you want to use with the ctrl (cmd on Mac) key held down and in the dialogue tell it to ignore maps which will leave the textures in place but with the desired shader and numeric settings.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 14 December 2013 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-08
Richard Haseltine - 14 December 2013 04:23 PM

A material preset will include the shader used unless told not to on saving - however you can usually reapply the shader you want to use with the ctrl (cmd on Mac) key held down and in the dialogue tell it to ignore maps which will leave the textures in place but with the desired shader and numeric settings.

Ok. I know about using the ctrl on loading to keep the current textures and only change the shader… but I was not aware of the option to save the material preset in a way that it would not overwrite a shader.

“A material preset will include the shader used unless told not to on saving “

I just went and tried to save a material preset. I was not given any option that would allow me to save the preset without saving the associated shader. So this means that when I save the duf file from V4 and load it to G2F that the manual process is going to force me to have to use the Ctrl key with the ignore option to reapply either the EHSS or the AoA SSS shader and then set any and all specialized settings. Or am I missing something?

I am trying to determine is this the same thing that happens in the converter process. If I use either the G2F or the G2M converter, am I still going to have to reapply the EHSS or the AoA SSS shaders and set any and all specialized settings contained in the advanced shaders that are not available in the daz default?

Or, will the converter keep the EHSS or the AoA SSS shader, and only replace the texture maps?

There are a lot of settings in the EHSS and the AoA SSS shaders. I am wanting not to have to tweak each and every conversion if I have to reapply the advanced shaders. I am hoping to see that the converter will keep all the existing special settings and all I have to do is let the converter apply the texture and go straight to a renderable figure.

If I still have to manually reapply and tweak the advanced shaders then there is no benefit to the converter in my eyes. This is why I need to know. Otherwise, if I purchase and find that it does not then I will have to go through the trouble of requesting a store refund which I would rather avoid if possible.

Or, again, am I missing something??? Just trying to understand.

Posted: 15 December 2013 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

If you loaded an M4 Elite texture and didn’t touch it, the material preset you save will have the EHSS. If, after you loaded the texture, you decided to use the SSS shader as a replacement for the EHSS and then save the preset then the preset will then have the SSS shader.

Using CTRL double click and choosing ignore means that the texture will be retained but the shader will be replaced by whatever you load. Whatever you load will be what is saved by the material preset.

What you do when you use the converter is to select a file which loads the texture, the texture will have whatever shader the artist gave it. The script converts the file that loads the texture into a DUF, that’s all it does. Something has gone awry though as something is messing up the DUF and giving us the issue that I pointed out.

Basically, saving a material preset is us manually doing what the script does

CHEERS!

2 of 4