3 of 9
Michael and Victoria 6 HD Add-ons Now Availalbe
Posted: 27 November 2013 06:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2003-11-27
DAZ_jared - 26 November 2013 03:22 PM
Xenomorphine - 26 November 2013 01:59 PM

Damn it, now I might have to upgrade to Genesis 2 morphs and textures… So much money!

Does anyone know what the difference is between that and this?

http://www.daz3d.com/displacement-for-victoria-6

It seems to give a similar HD appearance.

Also, are V6/M6 necessary for this or can it simply work with the Genesis 2 base figures? And can it be combined with the recent HD creature creator?

One creates details using displacement maps, the other creates the details using HD morphs.  Creating details using morphs rather than displacement maps offers several advantages one of the biggest being that the morph is UV independent, so it doesn’t matter what UV set you are using you can still get the HD details.

Displacement maps are limited to movement along a polygon normal, while HD morphs are not.

In case of pure DS UV map set may be important but a lot of other renders handle different uv sets for different maps for the same mesh, i.e. for example diffuse maps may use V6 uv, bump or displacement - Gia ones. To me setting new materials (including copypasting accompanying FB morph’s uv to extra uv map) and lights in modo is much faster than woo-doo-ing DS lights and shaders. And then I can send the scene to Thea or Octane to get faster render speed.
Or rebake displacement map to differnt UV set. I just find buying every bit-n-piece of slight improvements VERY pricy.

Signature 

Asus P9X79 WS, i7-3930K@4250mHz, Zotac gtx 580 amp2! 3gb + Zotac gtx 580 3gb + PoV gtx 580 3gb, 32 gb 4-ch Geil, 1350 wt Thermaltake, system/soft 240 gb sata III ssd, temp/swap 128 gb sata III ssd, 2 tb sata III hdd, AeroCool Strike-X ST.

Posted: 27 November 2013 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-04-10
Luci45 - 27 November 2013 12:28 AM

Here is M6 HD with the new Bjorn texture. Render time is really slow, SSS doesn’t help. I would only use these for portraits or they would kill my computer too. But very nice. i haven’t played with V6 HD yet.  Looks OK with M4 morph mixed in too.

Luci, that’s a beautiful render. Would you mind telling me what lights (and background?) you used for it?

Posted: 27 November 2013 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  725
Joined  2005-12-12

So, we’re using HD morphs instead of normal maps now? Or are they even moar, moar betterer than what we could get with V6’s normal maps?

Posted: 27 November 2013 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3321
Joined  2009-08-05

Hd morphs compliment normals, and other texture based details, not really replace them. It enhances the mesh detail, which works with the detail provided in the skin. When combined, gives you even better results than before.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 27 November 2013 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2305
Joined  2007-12-13
DAZ_jared - 26 November 2013 10:08 AM

-See your details updated in real time (Viewport subdivision must be turned on).

In the above it says ‘Viewport subdivision must be turned on.’. How do you do it!? I’m struggling to find where you check this and adjust it if it isn’t turned on.

CHEERS!

Posted: 27 November 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3321
Joined  2009-08-05

Here. It just needs to be on one in order to use HD. One is default, but for some reason the new G2F essentials sets it to 0 in a new figure loaded in scene. Just make sure its set to one and you are all set.

Image Attachments
subd.jpg
 Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 27 November 2013 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

Gotcha, LOL!

I was looking for something in the preferences! I’ll have a play when I eventually get the HD morphs.

CHEERS!

Posted: 27 November 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1575
Joined  2008-11-10
Rogerbee - 27 November 2013 09:07 AM

Gotcha, LOL!

I was looking for something in the preferences! I’ll have a play when I eventually get the HD morphs.

CHEERS!

Keep in mind that you’ll need a pretty decent video card and system to view HD morphs in realtime. If you don’t you’ll bring your computer to a crawl or lock your system.

Posted: 27 November 2013 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-13

Everything on the required list is supported by it, so, I’ll take my chances.

I’ll only use it for the odd portrait so hopefully it won’t fry too much. DS has been running pretty smoothly up until now….

CHEERS!

Posted: 27 November 2013 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  420
Joined  2004-04-05

so, you don’t need to have the subdivision level set to 3 in Studio for it to show the HD?, because it makes everything really laggy and the highest it goes will go without going to the settings is 2

Posted: 27 November 2013 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3126
Joined  2007-06-22
Slosh - 27 November 2013 12:52 AM

I decided to try both HD figures, with their Elite textures “out of the box”.  I didn’t change any material settings except to reduce SSS to 50%, as is my preference.  I also used AoA’s Advanced Ambient light and transmapped hair.  Rendering closer portraits always takes a bit longer than distance shots.  I wanted to really test the render time by throwing a lot at it (2 figures?).  Total render time on this was 1 hr 19 mins.  Not too bad, really.  Next time, I would do more tweaking on the materials, especially V6 lips, which are a bit too specular in this render.  I would also brighten up M6 a bit.

Would you mind giving your Render settings and Computer specs, thanks

Posted: 27 November 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  310
Joined  2013-07-18

I was dying all day yesterday to get home and try out some M6 and V6 HD renders. I got wrapped up in a bunch of other stuff and it just got too late to get into anything by the time I was able to sit down. Hopefully tonight I can play around with it, but with Thanksgiving being tomorrow, I have a feeling my wife is going to hand me a list of crap to do when I walk in the door.

Signature 

DAZ User Gallery All my renders are showcased on my hobby blog, as well as a workflow for each one.

Posted: 27 November 2013 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2007-03-10
ryemac3 - 27 November 2013 10:19 AM

I was dying all day yesterday to get home and try out some M6 and V6 HD renders. I got wrapped up in a bunch of other stuff and it just got too late to get into anything by the time I was able to sit down. Hopefully tonight I can play around with it, but with Thanksgiving being tomorrow, I have a feeling my wife is going to hand me a list of crap to do when I walk in the door.

Yeah…the old “Honey Dew” list…wretched.

Posted: 27 November 2013 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  554
Joined  0
Richard Haseltine - 27 November 2013 06:07 AM
HeraldOfFire - 27 November 2013 05:45 AM
JOdel - 26 November 2013 06:12 PM

What does it do to the poly count? I remember that V4/M4 were about 68,000 polys and I could never get more than about 4 human figures into a scene and be able to render it.

It’s been stated that Gen2 is some 22,000 polys, standard. What are they in HD?

ETA: I am assuming that these can use whatever textures have been converted to gen5 .duf. That they do not need special HD textures.

I’m not entirely sure what level of subdivision the HD figures use. By default it loads with a visual appearance set at SubD 1, which is the same as standard Victoria/Michael 6 resulting in 85,253 quads. Obviously, the total number of polygons will change depending on the level of subdivision used. SubD level 2 gives 339,432 quads and SubD 3 gives 1.34 million quads.

My guess is it uses subD at level 2 or so, but I don’t really have an easy way to test this.

The HD morphs were created at level 3 - hence 64 times the detail (and polygon count, if you turn the preview level up that far). IN DS the SubD level setting is viewport only, it doesn’t affect renders which are always taken to the limit state in effect; in Poser the SubD level does govern the render.

Am i understanding this right? Subd in renders is always on and the subd parameter only affects the viewport? If so how do you check the subd setting for your renders?

Signature 

Having trouble with clothing/props not showing in Daz 4.5? Take a look at this thread:

Thread in Nuts And Bolts forum

Posted: 27 November 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1575
Joined  2008-11-10
dkgoose - 27 November 2013 09:36 AM

so, you don’t need to have the subdivision level set to 3 in Studio for it to show the HD?, because it makes everything really laggy and the highest it goes will go without going to the settings is 2

Riggswolfe - 27 November 2013 11:42 AM

Am i understanding this right? Subd in renders is always on and the subd parameter only affects the viewport? If so how do you check the subd setting for your renders?

You don’t have to do anything with the subdivision level in DS to get the HD to render. The details are added in at render time which is one of the advantages, rather than having to manually set it up and potentially lock up your computer if your specs aren’t high enough.

3 of 9