Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Back to Basics Tutorials Installing DS4 and more
Posted: 15 February 2013 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  294
Joined  2005-10-02

I didn’t spot an answer to this anywhere but I’m sorry if it has been asked and answered already.

I’m thinking of options for a new computer and, since I have a MacBook I might opt for an iMac. If I do, I’ll probably install Windows 7 via Bootcamp too. So my question is this: is it possible to share the Daz Studio content library between the two operating systems? For example, if I have the Mac version of DS4.5 running - can it use the content installed for the Windows version?

Why have Windows at all? There are some things I have already licensed on my Windows PC that I would prefer not to have to buy again for Mac (and probably some that have no Mac equivalent).

Posted: 15 February 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  254
Joined  2003-10-09
marble - 15 February 2013 02:42 AM

I didn’t spot an answer to this anywhere but I’m sorry if it has been asked and answered already.

I’m thinking of options for a new computer and, since I have a MacBook I might opt for an iMac. If I do, I’ll probably install Windows 7 via Bootcamp too. So my question is this: is it possible to share the Daz Studio content library between the two operating systems? For example, if I have the Mac version of DS4.5 running - can it use the content installed for the Windows version?

Why have Windows at all? There are some things I have already licensed on my Windows PC that I would prefer not to have to buy again for Mac (and probably some that have no Mac equivalent).

Sure! I used to have my content directories shared between Windows 7 and OS X Lion. This arrangement always worked very fine. After upgrade my Mac Pro to Mountain Lion I give up Bootcamp and installed Parallels Desktop to run Windows eventually. I really don’t need Windows for nothing actually, only to run some small utilities as Texture Converter or something like that which don’t need CPU running at full power. Buy an iMac and be happy!

Posted: 15 February 2013 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14

Yes, the only real issue you’ll have is keeping your CMS Database sync’d up.  But from a content perspective there’s no reason why it won’t work.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 16 February 2013 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  294
Joined  2005-10-02

Thanks.

The reason I thought it might be a problem is because DAZ provide separate installers for MAC and PC and I wondered whether the files they installed were operating system dependent.

Posted: 10 June 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-13

I just got this 4.5 and been reading the thread on installing but I getting some errors

it says some assets needed to load are missing gives a link and says genesis.dsf

and when I try to install some stuff like she freak or others it tells me something about needing to install them in main dir because of some dependancy or something

Image Attachments
daz_error.jpg

Posted: 10 June 2013 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8513
Joined  2007-11-06

Where did you install Genesis Starter Essentials?  Was it with installer, DIM, or manually extracting the DIM zip?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 10 June 2013 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

For Generation 4 morph packs you need to install them to the same location as the V4/M4/K4 base.  If you’re using one of the old installers, don’t choose Poser as the target application unless your version of Poser is older than P7sr3.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 10 June 2013 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2007-11-13

well maybe I got it because I hadnt installed vic or mike yet but I put everything where it said to in this thread

Image Attachments
daz_error_2.jpg

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-11-13

that wasnt a morph pack that was the genesis essentials I was trying to bring up and was installed where was told to in this forum

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

There shouldn’t be a folder named “Content” underneath “My Library”—move everything underneath that “Content” folder up one level to merge with the corresponding folders under “My Library”.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-11-13

ok thanks I am keeping installing other stuff I have maybe will fix the genesis prob? dunno

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2007-11-13

ok seems to be loading everything so far

I will finish my installs and check again and hopefully everything work properly then I can figure out how to make some clothes. I want to make a set of clothes, leather helmet and jacket, and a life jacket for a WWII Fighter Pilot. cant seem to find anything like that around

Posted: 11 July 2013 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-10-05

Hi .. New to Daz (and pretty much every other program I have purchased) Just found this thread .... Wow ... Thank you!

2 of 2