Posted: 12 November 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16095
Joined  2003-10-09

Sixth DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

NOW SPONSORED BY DAZ 3D

Theme for this month is “FROZEN”

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before transferring the render to the actual Contest thread for judging.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the June Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the July contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 31st December :-  Midnight DAZ 3D time. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
                    2nd Place $20
                    3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D gift certificates will be given to the people whose rendesr are selected as the Honourable mentions,  $10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User.  Jaderail has offered $20 and DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team and guest judges.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 12 November 2013 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-11-20

Sounds like fun!  I hope I have time to play with this one.

Posted: 12 November 2013 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1646
Joined  2007-12-10

This looks like the ideal theme for a special Peter the Polar Bear render. grin

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 12 November 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4794
Joined  2004-07-01

01 Bryce F

Image Attachments
01_Bryce_F.jpg

Posted: 12 November 2013 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
TheSavage64 - 12 November 2013 07:46 AM

This looks like the ideal theme for a special Peter the Polar Bear render. grin

I hope he will make an appearance Dave, being Peter fan.

goofygrmom3 - 12 November 2013 07:45 AM

Sounds like fun!  I hope I have time to play with this one.

##I hope you have time to play as well.

I am really looking forward to seeing what people make of the theme, it has quite a few different connotations methinkest.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge

Posted: 12 November 2013 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3591
Joined  2004-10-01
chohole - 12 November 2013 06:30 AM

The winner of the June Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the July contest.

raspberry
I’ll try to come up with something.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 12 November 2013 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Well at least I give plenty of notice cool smirk

Signature 

Posted: 14 November 2013 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2010-06-09

Who Goes there ?

Based on Who Goes there by John W. Campbell ( AKA The Thing )
The thing walks away from it’s crashed spaceship in the Antarctic only to be found several hundred years later by Swedes ( They are Norwegian Mac Norwegian )

Ok seems like I have painted myself into a corner with this one, the terrain is made up of 3 layers with 2D planes materials, the top two layers are semi- transparent and then skewed slightly up, the snow bank on top of the hill is a 2D plane also skewed, The point at which all these things intersect is exactly where the Thing is standing, If I put anything behind it, it breaks the illusion of a solid terrain, also if I put anything in front of it, that breaks the illusion of the snow bank, I was going for mood here and not realism, The sky is from Horo and David’s HDRI volume skies, There are three light sources. A small amount from the HDRI, the Bryce sun, and a spotlight, Also the FOV is set at 100 so I could get as much of that sky in there as I could.

Thanks for looking
STKYDD

Image Attachments
who_goes_there.jpg

Posted: 14 November 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4794
Joined  2004-07-01
dragonsbain - 14 November 2013 08:03 AM

Who Goes there ?

Based on Who Goes there by John W. Campbell ( AKA The Thing )
The thing walks away from it’s crashed spaceship in the Antarctic only to be found several hundred years later by Swedes ( They are Norwegian Mac Norwegian )

Ok seems like I have painted myself into a corner with this one, the terrain is made up of 3 layers with 2D planes materials, the top two layers are semi- transparent and then skewed slightly up, the snow bank on top of the hill is a 2D plane also skewed, The point at which all these things intersect is exactly where the Thing is standing, If I put anything behind it, it breaks the illusion of a solid terrain, also if I put anything in front of it, that breaks the illusion of the snow bank, I was going for mood here and not realism, The sky is from Horo and David’s HDRI volume skies, There are three light sources. A small amount from the HDRI, the Bryce sun, and a spotlight, Also the FOV is set at 100 so I could get as much of that sky in there as I could.

Thanks for looking
STKYDD

I like the light hitting him that way - very nice

Posted: 14 November 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2010-06-09

Thanks bigh

Posted: 14 November 2013 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Here’s my first try of a frozen landscape.

Title:
Frozen Landscape

Products used:
Vignette filter from the Lenses and Filters by David and Horo
Sunless Illhorn HDRI from Islands 2 by David and Horo

Image Attachments
Frozen-06a.jpg
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 14 November 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2707
Joined  2007-05-05

Beautiful job Horo….but it should be easy for you all the snow you get where you are from you have a lot of examples…LOL It will only snow here when pigs fly…Your render has great texture also…I feel like I could make a snowman

Signature 

Please remember my comprehension level is not the same as a rocket scientist…
Bryce7Pro-Addict…............Darkside-oholic…......Carrara-wannabee
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/269      http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/28462/

Posted: 14 November 2013 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Thank you Trish. Me hates winter. I like snow only if it is far away.

Signature 

Posted: 14 November 2013 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I like snow, I must be strange.

And I almost forgot, Welcome dragonsbain, a new face joining in is always nice to see.

My little dog used to love the snow as well, I shall miss throwing snowballs for him to lose again this year, he always looked so puzzled cos he couldn’t find them

Image Attachments
Fred_examining_snow.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 14 November 2013 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2707
Joined  2007-05-05

I did forget…...WELCOME dragonsbain!!  how rude of me sorry….....chohole my dog used to do that to look back at me like “where did it go?” cute picture….I love snow!!!!

Signature 

Please remember my comprehension level is not the same as a rocket scientist…
Bryce7Pro-Addict…............Darkside-oholic…......Carrara-wannabee
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/269      http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/28462/

Posted: 14 November 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

@bigh - good start and you were the first!

@dragonsbain - I love the idea of a monochrome image. New face here - or rather a new name: welcome to the Bryce forums. I’m looking forward to see more by you. Great start!

Signature 

1 of 17