Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
DAZ Install Manager (DIM) 1.0.1.108, Now Available! 
Posted: 19 November 2013 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-02-04
namffuak - 18 November 2013 01:38 AM
mindsong - 18 November 2013 12:54 AM

this DIM version is broken.

support will dance around this reality in the forums, but somebody in back knows.

test the next one better guys/gals. it’s a good tool when it works.

Broken how? Generic complaints with no supporting information cannot be fixed - and as a former sysadmin/software support type, this kind of statement gets dumped into the trash without a bit of remorse.

Operating system? What is failing - download? Install? Path Setup? Any information in the log? (Click on the gear icon, top right, and then ‘view log’, bottom left - scroll to the bottom for the most recent information).

The only problems I’ve had so far have all turned out to be self-inflicted - and fixable, once I figured out what I’d done wrong.

Give us something to work with, and we may be able to help.

Sure - I’m glad you fixed your self-inflicted problem.

To wit - while less-than-useful, my in-transit post was written to save others some needless hair-pulling.

Technically, this has all of the symptoms of a permissions problem that isn’t seen with simple content installs, but cripples folks with plugins and other default base-directory install packages, as this version of the DIM will happily install content in a non-system area (like a ‘D:\’ drive), but it will not install anything in either of my 32/64 ‘program files’ directories, which is pretty basic to making a complete installation from scratch - given plugins, etc.

From a cold-boot start-up and DIM open, any attempt to install anything that goes under the default ‘program files’ space, is met with the new-to-me-with-DIM, but-not-uncommon Windows7 “must be done by admin, continue?” dialog (I say “OK”), then DIM fails with no message, and the ‘install failed’ label on the button. The generic logs indicate a process dying.

After numerous experiments, every-so-often, a rational pop-up log is presented indicating a failed attempt to install things in what are auditably rational and existing (but protected) ‘program files’ sub-directories. But that dialog appears inconsistently at best, and its messages aren’t obviously available for post-mortem analysis, and aren’t in the default DIM log that I can find.

Again, this is as COTS an install as is possible, other than the content being set to a D:\ drive location, where it happily resides and is maintained.

Given this apparent permissions constraint, DIM will also fail to install Bryce, Carrara, Photoshop, and Vue content/plugins under their respective default base installation directories as well.

Info for the ‘folks in back’, this is a completely fresh COTS Win-7 x64 patched install, w/ Daz products being the *first/only* products installed up to the point of the error. The download directory (zips and dsx files) is on a network mounted drive (mapped as a lettered drive). My previous (pre-disk-crash) installs (from the first DIM version released, and all follow-on versions) had no problems with this install model - just this newest version.

Final hint (where I’d start to look) - once the DIM process requests and becomes privileged, I believe it can no longer read the network source drive (theory). This would account for much of the DIM confusion and mixed messages. Given the history of it working in the past, I’ll let Daz try to fix it first, before I muck-up my in-house permission schema.

Perhaps related to a recent windows security patch, or a code problem in the DIM. Don’t know, don’t really care, so long as mere-mortals don’t get all bent fixing a problem that likely isn’t theirs to fix.

A simple test would be to remove and re-add a system plugin (mimic-live, etc.) and see if it re-installs OK.

Lastly, you may notice that I’m generally pretty ‘short’ with Daz. They went from a great small company to a POS corporation, and are slowly pulling it back together. If I’m bothering to write something in these forums, it’s likely I’m pissed. I don’t have time or inclination to pussy-foot around BS anymore, and this place was thick with it not-so-long-ago. Walk a mile in a man’s shoes before responding to this point.

And for god’s sake, don’t even think of preaching at me to open up a ticket. This is as much of my life as they get. They know what to do from here.

DIM has a problem. I expect Daz folks will fix it soon. I wait with optimism, but little patience for BS. And my Daz products are functionally ‘Down’ until they fix this. But it’s all good, my fresh Poser and Vue installs are working fine… Plenty to do.

cheers,

ms

Posted: 19 November 2013 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-02-04

Update:

My theory was correct - permissions of various sorts - I’m up w/ my Daz Product Line.

Fixes that worked for me on W7 x64:

overview:

- as administrator account, uninstall and re-install DS4.6 and DIM, both latest, from *.exe files downloaded from daz account (NOT DIM).
- run DIM (normal account) and re-validate/authenticate the path to the downloads
- refresh DIM (upper right button, next to login info) and try broken installs again.

detail:

- log into your daz account and download the EXE versions of DS4.6 and DIM (blue buttons)
- quit DAZ and DIM programs
- remove both programs (control panel->program&features;)
- right-click on new DS4.6 installer and “run as administrator”. Do install, but don’t run when doing DIM install…
- right click on new DIM and “run as administrator” as well.
- run DIM, login to daz per usual, let settle/sync.
- open settings (upper right corner gear)
- click Downloads tab
- Browse to “Downloads to:” path, and authenticate if it asks… if you can’t browse it, DIM can’t see it.
- try installing plugins as before. Mine worked - all of them (60ish items that failed before).

Since the DIM was release I’ve never had to give the DIM permission to run as Administrator to do anything. Either my shiny new install doesn’t have my base account as some power-user mode that was set before, or windows-security/Daz has made things more secure, or Daz made a recent change that is causing this (unlikely, methinks).

Either way, I hope Daz can automate this fix, or notify users of the actual problem with a meaningful error message, because most mortals would have no idea what to make if this from the available information.

I’m still not entirely sure if it was the privileged re-install, or the browse/authenticate step (or both) that made this work.

I hope it helps someone and helps the Daz-devs understand the problem better.

cheers,

ms

Posted: 19 November 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4779
Joined  2012-04-07
mindsong - 19 November 2013 04:03 AM

Update:

My theory was correct - permissions of various sorts - I’m up w/ my Daz Product Line.

Fixes that worked for me on W7 x64:

overview:

- as administrator account, uninstall and re-install DS4.6 and DIM, both latest, from *.exe files downloaded from daz account (NOT DIM).
  ... edit ...

Might be something to this because this was the first DIM I let install/update itself. Previous one which worked fine was manually downloaded installed ... so am redoing DIM the manual way.

Thanks.

Signature 

Posted: 19 November 2013 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2005-09-12

Mindsong - I’m glad you got it sorted out.

I run DIM on my laptop (XP) for downloads and limited installs - and I’m a local admin on it anyway, but this sort of permission issue just doesn’t crop up there. The only issue I have is during DIM self-updating, when I get the pop-up looking for which account to run under I need to click off the default ‘protect my system’ option or DIM crashes.

On my stand-alone render box (Win 7 ultimate) - I’m putting all the DAZ software on the D drive, so my two paths are ‘D:\bits-32’ and ‘D:\bits-64’. And even if I were not using the D drive, I wouldn’t be using ‘Program Files’ or ‘Program Files (x86)’ - personal issues, don’t like the names, and I install my software directly under vendor or product name at the C drive level.

It sounds to me like you may have been a local admin earlier and haven’t got that set up on the new system.

Signature 

The only constant is change—and it’s a variable.

Posted: 20 November 2013 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2003-10-09

I have been unable to download this version of DIM. Every time I try, the download times out. Whether I use the old version of DIM, my browser (Firefox) or a download manager, it always times out. And as, at least in this case, DAZ’s servers do not support resuming downloads, it starts over at the beginning every time.

I use a PC with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, my internet connection is through a tethered 2G cellphone (very slow, no high-speed connection available).

I have wished, many times, that DAZ’s servers supported resuming downloads.

The last log entry follows:

+++++++++++++++ Install Manager 1.0.1.90 starting +++++++++++++++++
OS bits: 64
Platform bits: 32
Qt Version: 4.8.4
Locale: en_US
Running on Windows 7, Build 7601, Service Pack 1
Physical Memory:
Total: 3.9 GB (4294967295)
Avail: 3.9 GB (4294967295)
Virtual Memory:
Total: 3.9 GB (4294836224)
Avail: 3.8 GB (4164919296)
Current Memory Usage: 40%
Current DateTime:
Loc: Wed Nov 20 14:53:58 2013
UTC: Wed Nov 20 22:53:58 2013
Application Data:
Location = C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager
Disk Total: 309.5 GB (332335673344)
Disk Avail: 222.2 GB (238662844416)
Reading dzInstall.ini
Current Account: Dave Simmons
Current Download Path:
Location = C:/Users/Public/Downloads/DAZ
Current Content Install Path:
Location = D:/My Documents/Daz 3D/Studio/My Library
Disk Total: 156.2 GB (167771000832)
Disk Avail: 45.6 GB (49010651136)
Current 64-bit Software Install Path:
Location = C:/Program Files
Current 32-bit Software Install Path:
Location = C:/Program Files (x86)
WARNING: Network Error while downloading to file “C:/Users/S67BIG~1/AppData/Local/Temp/DAZ3DInstallManager/IM00014810_InstallManagerWin32.zip.{38a272e7-2bab-beb9-e029-4e29b8ae602e}.part”: Connection closed
Current Account: Dave Simmons
Processed 113 installed products totaling 3.2 GB
Saving Account Settings: Dave Simmons
Processed 86 products with 128 unique product downloads
———————- Install Manager exited—————————

Dave

Image Attachments
2013-11-20_15_04_57-DAZ_3D_Account.png

Posted: 21 November 2013 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5595
Joined  2006-02-20

Did you try to download the installer through the Product Library?
http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/#prod_14810

Signature 

I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... in alphabetical order. And I would probably like Carrara too, if I could find the time to become acquainted with it. Peace?

Posted: 21 November 2013 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes I did, same problem. I was using Firefox to try to download it, I bypassed the download manager in that attempt.

Posted: 21 November 2013 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

This mornings attempt from the Product Library using Firefox w/o download manager. Still timing out and getting incomplete downloads.

Image Attachments
2013-11-21_08_06_50-.png2013-11-21_08_10_00-Error_in_Installer.png

Posted: 21 November 2013 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15315
Joined  2003-10-09
BigDave67 - 21 November 2013 10:14 AM

This mornings attempt using Firefox w/o download manager. Still timing out and getting incomplete downloads.

If you get a corrupted or incomplete download, empty your browser cache before attempting to download a 2nd time. THe corrpted version will stay in your cache and cause subsequent attempts to fail at the same point.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 21 November 2013 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2003-10-09

OK, cleared the browser cache, history, download history, etc.
Logged back in. Went back to the Product Library, clicked on “Install Manager Win”, clicked on the “Get Install Manager” button.
http://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files/#prod_14810

Only downloaded 2.2 MB this time, it was 2.3 MB last time.
This one should have a “resume” function enabled on the server.

Image Attachments
2013-11-21_08_38_11-.png

Posted: 21 December 2013 04:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  716
Joined  2012-02-12

Just a little post for information. I’m not asking for help

I usually only use the public 64 bit beta build on my notebook so that I can test various things.  In the last days I used DIM to download and install 32 bit public beta and 64 bit stable release. The 32 bit installed without problem and was functional as well as the 64bit release version. Then I went on with downloading and installing the 64 beta update but something odd must have happened as my 64 bit beta is nowhere to be found although the Log file states that the installation was also successful. When I use the DIM to show me the installed files it only shows me a blank page. And Windows search function didn’t find any other place where the files could be. It seems my 64bit beta is completely vanished. I don’t know if I did a mistake (accidental deletion?) or if that is the DIM result.

However. At that point I can’t restart a new install of the 64bit Beta with DIM and I have to extract the files by hand. It would be good to have an option to do a new install
What also seem to work is to try uninstalling via DIM. The uninstall process will start but stay at 0% and can’t complete as it will find no files. But after closing DIM then start it again I had the option to install it again. So right now I have all 3 DS installs completely functionnal. Don’t know exactely what went wrong before

An other point : it would be good to check if some files are opened before starting the download process, or at the moment DIM tries to replace the old zip with the new one. I had the previous 64bit beta zip file opened before starting downloading the updated one and the download was a failure because of that. The DIM couldn’t replace the old zip with the new one as I had it opened. There was no information of the Why it was a failure.

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 21 December 2013 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06

Does DIM show it as installed?  Can you uninstall from DIM and then reinstall it?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 22 December 2013 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  716
Joined  2012-02-12

As I said, The install was successfull and DIM showed it as intalled but you can’t uninstall it as DIM won’t find the files. But never mind I got it sorted

Takeo.Kensei - 21 December 2013 04:05 AM

However. At that point I can’t restart a new install of the 64bit Beta with DIM and I have to extract the files by hand. It would be good to have an option to do a new install
What also seem to work is to try uninstalling via DIM. The uninstall process will start but stay at 0% and can’t complete as it will find no files. But after closing DIM then start it again I had the option to install it again. So right now I have all 3 DS installs completely functionnal. Don’t know exactely what went wrong before

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 31 December 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-06-13

Hope I am asking in the right place.  I have DAZ Install Manager working and have a question.  It has the option of “work offline”.  Perhaps I misunderstand but I thought that meant to install from files I manually downloaded from DAZ and have on my computer.  When I check that, however, everything goes dark so I have no idea how to proceed.  I prefer to have a backup copy on my computer for reinstall rather than having to download it new each time.  Can I do that with the DAZ Install manager?  If not, what does “work offline” mean?

Posted: 31 December 2013 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06
JackGerber - 31 December 2013 02:15 PM

Hope I am asking in the right place.  I have DAZ Install Manager working and have a question.  It has the option of “work offline”.  Perhaps I misunderstand but I thought that meant to install from files I manually downloaded from DAZ and have on my computer.  When I check that, however, everything goes dark so I have no idea how to proceed.  I prefer to have a backup copy on my computer for reinstall rather than having to download it new each time.  Can I do that with the DAZ Install manager?  If not, what does “work offline” mean?

That’s exactly right, only the “Ready to Download” tab should go dark, you should still be able to work with files that were downloaded previously.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

2 of 3