Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
DAZ Install Manager (DIM) 1.0.1.108, Now Available! 
Posted: 11 November 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  176
Joined  2007-11-12

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of the DAZ Install Manager - version 1.0.1.108!

What is new in this version?

The 1.0.1.108 version is a maintenance release and fixes or makes improvements to several issues discovered since the 1.0.1.90 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site. All new downloads of DAZ Install Manager will be of this version.

Highlights are:
1) Updated software used to build the installers; possible fix to nvinit.dll crash of uninstaller during auto-update on Win; also received reports of recent Windows Update and a nVidia driver update contributing to the fix
2) Added context and option menu actions to Show Serial Number; popup provides clipboard copy; must be connected
3) Packages with associated serial numbers now have the ability to install the serial number; must be connected; must be supported by the software/plugin contained within the package; brand new installations of DAZ Studio handle this automatically
4) Made improvements to first time user/customer experience
5) Unified branding/messaging; occurrences of “DAZ 3D Install Manager 1” or variations thereof should all now read “DAZ Install Manager”
6) Made tweaks to the CMS sub-installer; inverted CMS “custom installation” checkbox meaning and default value - users commonly checked the option when quickly progressing through the installer, treating it like the agreement acceptance option
7) The “Ready To Install” page in the application installer has been removed; reduced the number of screens/clicks
8) Fixed issues with file ownership on Mac
9) Added RenderNode versions to Carrara application options
10) Fixed issues resulting from changes in OS X 10.9 that caused some software/plugin installations to fail

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously installed the Install Manager application and the computer it is installed on is connected to the internet, you can simply launch the application and log into your account. Once connected, you will be notified that an update has been detected and you will be prompted to “Update” or “Work Offline”.  Click the “Update” button and the application will take care of the rest.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the application from the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering “Install Manager” into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the “Filter” button, or by clicking here for Windows users, or here for Mac users.

If this is your first time downloading and/or installing Install Manager, simply follow this link, click the “download free now” button on the page and then run the downloaded installer.

*Note: If you are on a computer running the Windows operating system, you have an nVidia based graphics card installed along with another non nVidia graphics card (e.g. an Ivy bridge CPU), you have a recent graphics driver installed and you experience a crash during the uninstaller phase of the update… it is recommended that you download the installer from the Product Library (see above) and run it manually.

Is there any documentation?

Yes, documentation is located here.  Clicking the “Help” button in the top right corner of the application main window will launch your [default] browser to the same location.

Posted: 15 November 2013 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1136
Joined  2003-10-09

Often when I use refresh in DIM it tells me the connection to the server has been broken then it puts me in offline mode which isn’t a necessarily quick process. If I wanted to work in offline mode, I wouldn’t have hit refresh in the first place.

Is there a reason DIM instead of putting you into offline mode doesn’t just throw up the login window instead? At least with the login window you can log in and check for new files and if you really want to work offline it has the checkbox for that too.

Posted: 15 November 2013 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5216
Joined  2012-04-07

Downloaded via DIM a bunch of stuff ... switched accounts ... to carry on ... nope. Forced to update first. Technically okay big deal BUT at some point through the first list of the queue it FROZE. Took hitting a lot of buttons before the thing stopped freezing enough to crash.
And to this day I have no idea if it lost the downloads ‘cause they aren’t waiting to be downloaded anymore. Will have to do some manual checking later on ....

Thankfully the rest of the download requests were handled better.

‘til next time.

Signature 

Lots of photos in my DA Gallery including PD Textures.

Posted: 16 November 2013 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2003-11-29

Magnificent job of completely screwing up my DAZ system. I knew that the Install Manager was a bad idea, and you didn’t disappoint. I think I particularly liked the seemingly several hundred error dialogs that I had to click through, and especially the ‘you may have to contact support’ dialog at the end.

I guess I’ll wipe my system clean and do it manually the next time.

Good job DAZ.

Posted: 16 November 2013 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  468
Joined  2003-10-09

I installed a daz studio update using this latest DIM and thought being an application it would go into the right place. I had install to previous rather than install to selected in the settings anyway, but when I ran DIM it installed into the selected folder.  so i ran the uninstaller and it disappeared out of DIM completely.  so i went to my ready to download tab and clicked refresh (thing at the top right) but my file did not appear in either my downloads or ready to install part, I think.

Posted: 16 November 2013 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I think i might have found the file, but maybe maybe not.

Posted: 17 November 2013 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2003-10-09
esther - 16 November 2013 06:40 PM

I installed a daz studio update using this latest DIM and thought being an application it would go into the right place. I had install to previous rather than install to selected in the settings anyway, but when I ran DIM it installed into the selected folder.  so i ran the uninstaller and it disappeared out of DIM completely.  so i went to my ready to download tab and clicked refresh (thing at the top right) but my file did not appear in either my downloads or ready to install part, I think.

It does install into the correct path.  If you don’t like the default, the [base] path can be customized.  That path is defined by the “64 bit Software:” and/or “32 bit Software:” options on the “Installation” page of the “Settings” dialog.  The same paths are displayed in the area shown at the bottom of the list when the “Show Details” option is checked on the “Ready to Download” and/or “Ready to Install” pages.  The content paths/shortcuts have no effect on software installation - the only exception is if a package contains both software and content, in which case it will only affect where the content portion is installed.

‘Respective “Installed” Paths’ (or “install to previous” as you referred to it) and “Selected Path” (or “install to selected” as you referred to it) are content install options.  The label to the left of the option, in the area displayed below the list when “Show Details” is checked, states “Content Updates Install To:”.  The label to the left of the same options on the “Installation” page in the “Settings” dialog states “Content Updates:”.  This option does not affect software installation, hence being preceded by the word “Content.”

The “Delete Package Once Installed” option at the bottom of the “Ready to Install” page will do exactly as the name suggests. This means that if you uninstall something which you installed while this option was checked, the package which you used to install will not be listed on either of the “Ready to Install” or the “Installed” pages.  Once you connect again, the package should be listed on the “Ready to Download” page.  If the package is not listed on the “Ready to Download” page, check that you have not hidden it and/or that you are not filtering it.  You can see the packages that you have hidden by checking the “Display Hidden” option, at the top of the “Ready to Download” page.

-Rob

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer
- DSON File Format Specification

Posted: 17 November 2013 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2003-10-09
darkmason - 16 November 2013 06:13 PM

Magnificent job of completely screwing up my DAZ system. I knew that the Install Manager was a bad idea, and you didn’t disappoint. I think I particularly liked the seemingly several hundred error dialogs that I had to click through, and especially the ‘you may have to contact support’ dialog at the end.

I guess I’ll wipe my system clean and do it manually the next time.

Good job DAZ.

I’m afraid your description of the problem is a bit too vague if your intention is to obtain help.  Would you care to elaborate?  Several hundred error dialogs… and ‘you may have to contact support’...  Do you have any screen shots of these messages or any more information on when they occurred or what you were doing when they occurred?

Signature 

- Documentation Center
- Install Manager
- DAZ Studio 4.x
- DSON Importer
- DSON File Format Specification

Posted: 17 November 2013 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-11-17

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but…
Whenever I use the Install Manager to try to install DAZ Studio 4.6 I get this error message…

“Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for “DAZ Studio 4.6 (Win 32-bit)” requires that the installed path for “DAZ Studio 4.5 (32-bit)” be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the “Applications” page of the “Settings” dialog, then try again. “

What path do I need to enter in the Applications section to get it to install?

Posted: 17 November 2013 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7964
Joined  2006-03-19

Can you post a screen shot of your applications tab?

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

Posted: 18 November 2013 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2011-02-04

this DIM version is broken.

support will dance around this reality in the forums, but somebody in back knows.

test the next one better guys/gals. it’s a good tool when it works.

Posted: 18 November 2013 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  655
Joined  2005-09-12
mindsong - 18 November 2013 12:54 AM

this DIM version is broken.

support will dance around this reality in the forums, but somebody in back knows.

test the next one better guys/gals. it’s a good tool when it works.

Broken how? Generic complaints with no supporting information cannot be fixed - and as a former sysadmin/software support type, this kind of statement gets dumped into the trash without a bit of remorse.

Operating system? What is failing - download? Install? Path Setup? Any information in the log? (Click on the gear icon, top right, and then ‘view log’, bottom left - scroll to the bottom for the most recent information).

The only problems I’ve had so far have all turned out to be self-inflicted - and fixable, once I figured out what I’d done wrong.

Give us something to work with, and we may be able to help.

Signature 

The only constant is change—and it’s a variable.

Posted: 18 November 2013 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

thanks rbtwhiz.
I am pretty sure I didn’t have delta package once installed checked, but then again I am not certain my file did disappear. I thought it was the daz studio beta but there was still a daz studio installation file in my list so I installed it.
I think I see what went wrong at the beginning. I had both content and an application.  For DS installations I choose the software to go wherever the 64 bit goes which is my applications folder and for the content I chose the option called recommended that is the default label, and then I also have a ton of poser external runtimes.
so anyway I think it is all okay as far as I know.
thanks again for your help.  DIM has got a bit of a learning curve.
Love esther
PS I still really really think that drop down arrow for the current label and path is not necessary as we have them all in the scroll list. One should just be able to double click on one of those labels in that list to get it to be the current install to selected path.  I would find that easier and make less mistakes.  Also one should then be able to click on date of label creation or name of label tabs (don’t exist yet) and then they could reorder.  so if one has lots of labels in a long list it would make finding the right one easier.

Posted: 18 November 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4727
Joined  2004-08-11

SUGGESTION for an update…

How about adding the ability to add in TWO install paths.  One for one’s main library and the other for an auto back up. 

Do you know how hard it is to back up “My Library” without using comprehensive back up software?  If DIM provided an option for a dual install path for just the content packages I’d be so happy!  I understand about programs and non Library packages being excluded but just the main My Library where I install all my stuff for using in DAZ Studio.  Yup!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 18 November 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  748
Joined  2010-03-13

DIM is staying in “busy mode” at the moment here on my Mac - no matter if I try offline or online mode. Anyone else experience this?

Edit: Resolved itself. apparently there was an access conflict on the DIM download directory, which made DIM never complete the initial scanning. Additionally after a reboot I had crashes of DIM when trying to download, but that was resolved after removing the files manually that DIM tried to create/download earlier.

Posted: 18 November 2013 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5216
Joined  2012-04-07
Patience55 - 15 November 2013 09:05 PM

Downloaded via DIM a bunch of stuff ... switched accounts ... to carry on ... nope. Forced to update first. Technically okay big deal BUT at some point through the first list of the queue it FROZE. Took hitting a lot of buttons before the thing stopped freezing enough to crash.
And to this day I have no idea if it lost the downloads ‘cause they aren’t waiting to be downloaded anymore. Will have to do some manual checking later on ....

Thankfully the rest of the download requests were handled better.

‘til next time.

to add to my post ... as others are having some problems too and no, this is NOT something we’re doing.

Not always for me, but sometimes it appears to “freeze”. This evening it appeared to freeze but then the program flashed and the top two ‘vanished’ from the list. After awhile, the next two ‘poofed’ from the list. Whether or not they have appeared in the to be downloaded section I cannot verify at this time.

Image Attachments
download_thing_isnt_working_right.png
 Signature 

Lots of photos in my DA Gallery including PD Textures.

1 of 3