Digital Art Zone

7 of 8
Installing ZIP Files for DAZ Studio 3 and DAZ Studio 4 Tutorial
Posted: 06 April 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2003-10-09

Still having problems with installing non DIM items and I have a bunch of them.
For some reason I keep ending up with strange paths even when the installers are pointed to C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library.
Is there a simple way to combine all of these directories?
SShould I just delete the ones that don’t belong?
I need to eliminate the duplicate files as they are eating up HD space

Image Attachments
DIM_view.jpg

Posted: 06 April 2013 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

From what I’m seeing you have two different DS4 content folders. One is the Default My Library folder that DS4 creates on install and the new My DAZ 3D Library folder that the DIM creates at default. You could Combine those folders into just one using the Copy and Paste MERGE option if your on Win7. I also see a DS3 content folder listed as a Poser Format only, that should be added as a Daz Studio Format folder also for it to work fully in DS4.

Nothing is wrong with having two DS4 content folders that will work just fine. You do have a NESTED folder in one.
C:/Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library/Studio/My Library
Should not be listed. The Studio/My Library folder inside another Content folder Breaks DS from seeing anything in that folder. DS can not read Nested folders, it’s just the way it works.

To help you fix this, and fix it we can, I need better info. I’m sure you have given me you info before so forgive me for asking for it again. I do so many help tips I forget which info goes to which user. So please post the following for me.

Your OS type: Win7 32 or 64 bit, XP, or other.
Your comfort level with using Copy Paste commands on Files and File Folders. As in do you understand what they do or are they something you avoid from fear of breaking things.
Your Privilege level on the PC: Are you The Admin or a User on the PC?

With this info we can fix you up in less than a day. I’m in the USA Central Time Zone and online (Daz) from 3pm to 2am most days.
Lets tackle this and get you fixed and ready to use all your content.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 06 April 2013 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks Jaderail,

I am the system admin, Win7 64, copy paste is fine

Posted: 06 April 2013 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Okay First lets fix that Nested Folder. That is Breaking DS from reading properly and COULD corrupt your CMS database. Open your Directory Manager again and Select this path and Remove it from your Paths list.
C:/Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library/Studio/My Library
For now just remove the Path, we will move any content from inside it in the next step.
After the path is removed CLOSE/EXIT DS we do not want it running during any content Installs or moving of content.

Use the SYSTEM to Browse to that Folder now so that you see all the Folders inside the
C:/Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library/Studio/My Library folder Listed on Screen.
With all the Folders listed do a SELECT ALL and then a Copy. Use your folder back or Folder Up to get back to this folder.
C:/Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library, we want it to LIST all the Sub folders to the screen as before.
Now do a PASTE command. The Copy/Move Pop up will open on screen and MIGHT even ask if you wish to MERGE at this time.
Answer YES to any and all prompts. The Content from the Nested My Library is NOW in your My DAZ 3D Library.
To be safe you can check in the Studio/My Library folder for a ODD folder name and then check the My DAZ 3D Library for that Same folder.
If you see all the My Library folders listed in the My DAZ 3D Library folder we are done.
You can NOW select the C:/Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library/Studio/My Library folder and Delete it. Or MOVE it to another place for safe keeping if you like.

This Part should Now be Done. We have more to Do but I have Company right now and will be back in about 30 minutes.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 06 April 2013 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Started following your instructions and then discovered more strange stuff, seems Content Manager is outputting bogus info on some paths.

Image Attachments
DAZ-Install.jpg

Posted: 06 April 2013 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I’m not sure what you mean? I have a Presets folder in My DAZ 3D Library folder as well. It Holds Presets for Items when selected in the Smart Content Tab. Presets is a normal DS4 and DS4.5 Folder. It also shows in the Content Library Tab.

EDIT: Ignore this POST!!

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2013 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I see now. The Studio/My Library Folder does not exist. Yes that path could be left from a old DS Prefs setting file.
Just Remove it.
I do see a content folder in your My DAZ 3D Library Folder. That IS a nested Folder.
Just follow the SAME instructions as Before to fix this OPEN the content folder do a Select All and copy. Move back up one folder and Do the Paste into the My DAZ 3D Library folder. You should not have a content inside this folder.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2013 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Ok,  that issue is resolved.
Took care of the nested content folder in C:\Users\rogue\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library also

Posted: 06 April 2013 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Sorry If I missed you was doing RL for a bit. Have you Booted DS yet?

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2013 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, content tab is growing smile
I just finished moving the unique files form the C:/users/rogue to C:/users/public, then deleted C:/users/rogue 500+ MB freed up

Posted: 06 April 2013 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Sorry I got Called away. Your getting there. I’ll help you with your Installs if you like. I understand all methods very well IMHO.

Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2013 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09
Jaderail - 06 April 2013 11:23 PM

Sorry I got Called away. Your getting there. I’ll help you with your Installs if you like. I understand all methods very well IMHO.

No worries, I got called away by the sand man.
Assistance with installing my older content would be appreciated, most are DAZ or Zygote installers but I do have a few zips I want to use as well.

Posted: 07 April 2013 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

Okay the Installers are EASY. The Daz ones anyway. If I remember properly you went with the
C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library folder as the Default one. If not this still applies. When you get the Install to Path part of any installer from Daz3D just Browse to the Content folder. Not into it but just to it like this.

Image Attachments
Capture.PNG
 Signature 

Posted: 07 April 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

My content tab is busting at the seams smile

Now the fun stuff….. I have several ZIP files that I have installed that have old Poser format textures that have to be converted from .jpg to bump maps or the DS4.5 equivalent to work . The new mapping interface and terms have me baffled

Image Attachments
MekAngel-setup.jpg

Posted: 07 April 2013 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
broncomech - 07 April 2013 10:11 AM

My content tab is busting at the seams smile

Now the fun stuff….. I have several ZIP files that I have installed that have old Poser format textures that have to be converted from .jpg to bump maps or the DS4.5 equivalent to work . The new mapping interface and terms have me baffled

I was gone most of today I’m sorry. It was not planed but needed done.

I’m a 100% Daz Studio user and have never tried to convert Poser mats that way. I only keep Poser items that come with Mat files that load and can be adjusted in the Surfaces tab. Maybe this is a question that could be answered in the Commons.

Signature 

7 of 8