Digital Art Zone

8 of 8
Installing ZIP Files for DAZ Studio 3 and DAZ Studio 4 Tutorial
Posted: 07 April 2013 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2003-10-09
Jaderail - 07 April 2013 09:28 PM

I was gone most of today I’m sorry. It was not planed but needed done.

I’m a 100% Daz Studio user and have never tried to convert Poser mats that way. I only keep Poser items that come with Mat files that load and can be adjusted in the Surfaces tab. Maybe this is a question that could be answered in the Commons.

No worries, I had several other projects that needed attention today also.
I might have a backup of the bump maps on my old system or the stack of CDs on the shelf. If I can’t locate them in a few days I will ask in the commons if there is a way to convert the files in DS.

Posted: 31 October 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2004-11-27
adamr001 - 24 May 2012 09:54 AM
DAZ_bfurner - 18 April 2012 04:06 PM

This full tutorial can be viewed in it’s entirety in the old DAZ Forum Site.

Installing ZIP Files for DAZ Studio 3 and DAZ Studio 4 Tutorial

The zips are not as easy as were the old Daz installers.  My stuff are always ending up in the wrong folders and then to try and figure out how to fix it is quite complex, well to me that is as my brain is really flat when things are somehow a bit technical. There was a time that I could quickly analyze things but old age is now stepping in!  smirk

I have tried to follow the steps in the above link and also page 3 of same link by Jaderail but without previews (it doesn’t appear in old forum threats) it is not easy to follow.  Would it be possible to add these previews in another thread with the same text?  Or are there other tutorials to help?

Any suggestions and help are appreciated.

Laura

Posted: 31 October 2013 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1817
Joined  2011-07-31

Sorry you’re having problems, Laura.  Unzipping to dummy folder, then installing by merging with MyLibrary helps many people.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 31 October 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

The above Tutorial was Only for Third party content from other sites. It was written before DAZ 3D went to Zip files for it’s content. Here is a Brief example of a DAZ 3D zip file…

FileANYTHING.zip
..content
....Data
....Materials
....Poses
....Runtime

All folders Below the content folder get MERGED to your content folder> My Library or My DAZ 3D Library are the two standard ones. The TOP content folder is only used by DIM and just holds the Files and folders needed. Only move/copy and or Merge the files/folders below it into your content folder.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 31 October 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2004-11-27
Jaderail - 31 October 2013 10:24 AM

The above Tutorial was Only for Third party content from other sites. It was written before DAZ 3D went to Zip files for it’s content. Here is a Brief example of a DAZ 3D zip file…

FileANYTHING.zip
..content
....Data
....Materials
....Poses
....Runtime

All folders Below the content folder get MERGED to your content folder> My Library or My DAZ 3D Library are the two standard ones. The TOP content folder is only used by DIM and just holds the Files and folders needed. Only move/copy and or Merge the files/folders below it into your content folder.

Thank you for this short explanation.  I will see how it goes.  Up to now I haven’t downloaded much via DIM but manually when there was such an option available.

AtticAnne - 31 October 2013 10:03 AM

Sorry you’re having problems, Laura.  Unzipping to dummy folder, then installing by merging with MyLibrary helps many people.

Thank you for your help too!

I assume both these ways will do for any zips, including 3rd Party content as I know those were also problematic before.  Your help is appreciated.

Posted: 19 November 2013 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-09-07

Now I have been forced by daz to install yet Another service on my machine that is undocumented and forced to use the Daz installer, Could some kind soul please either tell me HOW you change the default paths in the Daz install manger?

I do not like   having things installed straight into program files   without ASKING me if thats where I want it to go - ITS MY PC and bad security practice.

If daz insist on this policy well they can do so without my money.

Posted: 19 November 2013 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7518
Joined  2006-03-19

Here is the wiki that tells you how to set everything up http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/userguide/start

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 20 November 2013 12:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06

Incidentally, it’s not a service, and it’s not mandatory except for installing betas.

If you go to Settings (the gear icon in the upper right) > Installation, you can set the path for installing 32-bit and 64-bit software (I also don’t install to Program Files), as well as one or more paths for installing DS/Poser content.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 20 November 2013 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Joined  2009-09-07

Thank you for the quick responses , yes I do appear to have confused the installer app with the cms   but the latter is installed ether way and you have to turn it off.

I stand by my point it is undocumented in the sense that how do I know it is not ‘phoning’ home in the back ground or other wise doing other and I dont necessarily mean ‘bad’  things in the back ground.

Also whilst the loss of the installers may be a good thing for apple users its a backwards step for windows users. If Daz want to make everybody use the same terrible gui style that Apple produced and backwards steps like zips for contents fine that is that their choice.

Mine is to vote with my feet and wallet .

Thanks for the help once again.

Posted: 20 November 2013 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
growlley - 20 November 2013 08:01 AM

I stand by my point it is undocumented in the sense that how do I know it is not ‘phoning’ home in the back ground or other wise doing other and I dont necessarily mean ‘bad’  things in the back ground.

As DIM is not a TSR it doesn’t do anything in the background—if you monitor your web traffic you can see that even if you leave it running, DIM doesn’t connect to DAZ 3D unless you hit the refresh or download buttons.

I admit the info about exactly what DIM does is not in the documentation, but here’s the information I posted a while back:
1) when you tell DIM to check (either when first signing on or when pressing the refresh button), it sends the DAZ 3D server your login credentials.  No information about anything on your computer, whether installed by DIM or not, is sent.
2) the DAZ 3D server sends back a file with information about everything in your purchase history, indicating what the current versions are.
3) DIM takes that file and compares it with the local records of what it has installed, as well as any products still waiting to be installed, and populates the “Ready to Download” tab with the list of new or updated products.  All the processing of that data is done locally.
4) If you then press a download button (either for an individual item or for the queue of selected items), DIM sends DAZ 3D your login credentials and a list of the requested files.  Again, no information other than the files you’ve requested is sent—for example, if you didn’t select some files, that information is only known locally.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 10 March 2014 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Joined  2012-08-14
johngoldsworthy1 - 14 June 2012 06:56 AM

what order do install the add ons in i have a few and just dont know where to start

You’re not the only one in that boat. I was under the assumption that the DAS Install Manager was handling everything correctly for me, but unfortunately I have discovered it has not and the problem goes as far back as, when I first installed DAZ Pro 4.6.

I have been having a content problem on my system and I have purchased a considerable amount of content over the past 10 weeks or so. I have recently discovered the problem is DAZ Install Manager has only been installing those items, which have the green button by them. So, anything that doesn’t have it needs to be installed manually. Unfortunately, there are problems with some of the extra items included with the DAZ Pro 4.6 bundle.

For example: The Genesis 2 Starter Essentials

Genesis 2 Female (Templates)
Genesis 2 Male (Templates)

The above are two zip files, but inside there is no documentation to give any clue as to where they should go. The structure of the zip files don’t even help, because the SKU and product number are folder name right above the files.

I’m not sure why they included the Texture Atlas for DAZ Studio, because when I tried to install it, it failed because it couldn’t locate DS3. I also had to run it in Windows XP compatibility mode, since I have Win 8.

Posted: 10 March 2014 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
jsalakar - 10 March 2014 05:53 AM
johngoldsworthy1 - 14 June 2012 06:56 AM

what order do install the add ons in i have a few and just dont know where to start

You’re not the only one in that boat. I was under the assumption that the DAS Install Manager was handling everything correctly for me, but unfortunately I have discovered it has not and the problem goes as far back as, when I first installed DAZ Pro 4.6.

I have been having a content problem on my system and I have purchased a considerable amount of content over the past 10 weeks or so. I have recently discovered the problem is DAZ Install Manager has only been installing those items, which have the green button by them. So, anything that doesn’t have it needs to be installed manually. Unfortunately, there are problems with some of the extra items included with the DAZ Pro 4.6 bundle.

For example: The Genesis 2 Starter Essentials

Genesis 2 Female (Templates)
Genesis 2 Male (Templates)

The above are two zip files, but inside there is no documentation to give any clue as to where they should go. The structure of the zip files don’t even help, because the SKU and product number are folder name right above the files.

I’m not sure why they included the Texture Atlas for DAZ Studio, because when I tried to install it, it failed because it couldn’t locate DS3. I also had to run it in Windows XP compatibility mode, since I have Win 8.

Unless you plan on creating textures for G2F/G2M, those files, and any other template files for other products, are NOT needed.  They don’t go anywhere…specifically.  They are for use in a 2D image editor/paint program to provide the guides for making textures.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 10 March 2014 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

Texture Atlas is included in DS4Pro—the separate package is only needed for DS3.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Updated Genesis Products

8 of 8