Digital Art Zone

3 of 54
Heroes, Heroines and 3D Graphics - July Freebie Contest
Posted: 01 July 2012 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  0

If you don’t use DS just ignore this post

Dollygirl asked about the shaders I use for my entry, so here is the story.
I wanted to do something quick so I went with a grey scale render, no colour and no textures except for the text bubble. I started with the deafult Shader Mixer Presets Orange Toon shader with the Value colour set to white.
After some testing I decided that the Toon Outline brick was a bit boring and replaced it with a Velvet brick and a Mix brick to invert the output from the Velvet brick. (The 800 pixel restriction makes it pointless to post Shader Mixer recipes, you can not read them if they are scaled down.So I have put up the recipes at Photobucket.)  http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/Oom_Fooyat/DAZ3D/toon1.jpg
If you render a scene using this shader it will probably look like the first render below. The “secret” to get the nice, crisp b&w render is in two settings in the Advanced section of the Render Settings. Increase Gain to 2 and decrees Gamma to 0.1 and the grey is gone (see pic 2). Then adjust the lights till you get the result you want.
As I used the same shader in most of the scene I got very little contrast at places. The woman for instance has almost no detail, see pic 3 below.  To fix that I used another simple trick, I inserted a Mix brick to invert the shader.  http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/Oom_Fooyat/DAZ3D/toon2.jpg The gils dress is the same shader but with different values in the three grey shades
Inverting shaders can give nice effects, the sidewalk and the wall, for instance, are the same shader only one is inverted.

Edit: added the final render for reference,

Cheers! Oom

Image Attachments
toon5.jpg
toon3.jpg
toon6.jpg
toon7.jpg

Posted: 01 July 2012 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5445
Joined  2005-04-16
Oom Fooyat - 30 June 2012 11:10 PM

This will be fun but I AM going to miss the sketch engine in Poser downer

Why will you miss it?  You can use Poser if you want.  DS has a basic comic render mode as far as I know, but I don’t know if it has the options to do the sketch type effect that you mean.  I have never tried it.  I have pwToon for DS, but I don’t know if it works in DS4.  I think a lot of things haven’t been updated for DS4.  Still, as I said, you can use Poser.  The sketch engine isn’t a paid add-on, is it?

Dana

Signature 

Old post count: 7511

Posted: 01 July 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  0
DanaTA - 01 July 2012 03:22 PM
Oom Fooyat - 30 June 2012 11:10 PM

This will be fun but I AM going to miss the sketch engine in Poser downer

Why will you miss it?  You can use Poser if you want.  DS has a basic comic render mode as far as I know, but I don’t know if it has the options to do the sketch type effect that you mean.  I have never tried it.  I have pwToon for DS, but I don’t know if it works in DS4.  I think a lot of things haven’t been updated for DS4.  Still, as I said, you can use Poser.  The sketch engine isn’t a paid add-on, is it?

Dana

I can not use Poser because I don’t have it. I used to have access to Poser long time ago and I loved the sketch render option. There is nothing close to it in DS. Actually I have never seen anything like it any where else.
There was a major revamp of Shader Mixer with DS4 and some shaders from older versions will not work.

Posted: 01 July 2012 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  474
Joined  2003-11-30
Dollygirl - 01 July 2012 02:45 PM

Ohh so sorry LG! confused But maybe you will be “Da Man”. The creator of the best Bryce Materials for Toon shading in the world! You are pretty handy. I was all set to see your pretty little SuperGirl show up too.

But you know, now that we know you are a comic buff and tried your hand at pen and pencil I want to see!
Lonnie

chohole has some feelers out over in the Bryce forum, so we’ll see what she can turn up. As to my comics background, I’ve sold maybe 3 major collections over the last 30 or so years and still have a sizable one stashed away. I stopped freelancing art around 10 years ago (about the time I discovered 3D art) and haven’t done a complete piece in years! I did mostly role-playing games art and a few comic strips and made a pretty good living at it for a while. Alas, real life and bills moved on me faster than my commissions (and a general collapse in the markets around 2000-2001) so I pretty much quit the business. I have no idea if any of my work survives on line anymore (probably not) and my scanner bit the dust years ago, so people will just have to suffer through my 3D work instead. Still, I’m sufficiently intrigued by this month’s challenge to see what I can come up with given my limitations. It’s early yet, so we’ll see…

Posted: 01 July 2012 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5445
Joined  2005-04-16
Oom Fooyat - 01 July 2012 08:43 AM

Title: ‘Scuse Me

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=7541_eM2gAw9iaSjP5TLtyQhM&board_id=1

Off to a good start!  Will he fit in a restroom?  LOL

Dana

Signature 

Old post count: 7511

Posted: 01 July 2012 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1932
Joined  0

...NOTICE!...

Whooo…hold everything. It is just now the 1st and going on four pages already?

As you know, or maybe don’t know, I announced a while back that each month there would be a featured freebie giver. Each entry will have to have at least one freebie by that person to qualify. Last month was Trumarcar.

This month will be Adam Thwaites from most-digital-creations.com. You must have a freebie by him to qualify for entry. I will announce who it will be each month, or the host can ask me before posting their intros. (next month will be HoboBo).

So, with that said…good luck to all who enter.

grin

Signature 

I am not this way because I am a musician, I am a musician because I am this way.

old posts: 10,322 Daz member since Build 1

Freebie Challenge Rules! - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/286/

Posted: 01 July 2012 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1317
Joined  2010-03-01
Oom Fooyat - 01 July 2012 03:04 PM

If you don’t use DS just ignore this post

Dolly Girl asked about the shaders I use for my entry, so here is the story.
I wanted to do something quick so I went with a grey scale render, no colour and no textures except for the text bubble. I started with the deafult Shader Mixer Presets Orange Toon shader with the Value colour set to white.
Cheers! Oom

Thank you Oom. I am going to play with the receipe. A nice write up of how to create and use the basic toon shader.
Lonnie

Posted: 01 July 2012 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-01
Lord Ganthor - 01 July 2012 03:47 PM
Dollygirl - 01 July 2012 02:45 PM

Ohh so sorry LG! confused But maybe you will be “Da Man”. The creator of the best Bryce Materials for Toon shading in the world! You are pretty handy. I was all set to see your pretty little SuperGirl show up too.

But you know, now that we know you are a comic buff and tried your hand at pen and pencil I want to see!
Lonnie

chohole has some feelers out over in the Bryce forum, so we’ll see what she can turn up. As to my comics background, I’ve sold maybe 3 major collections over the last 30 or so years and still have a sizable one stashed away. I stopped freelancing art around 10 years ago (about the time I discovered 3D art) and haven’t done a complete piece in years! I did mostly role-playing games art and a few comic strips and made a pretty good living at it for a while. Alas, real life and bills moved on me faster than my commissions (and a general collapse in the markets around 2000-2001) so I pretty much quit the business. I have no idea if any of my work survives on line anymore (probably not) and my scanner bit the dust years ago, so people will just have to suffer through my 3D work instead. Still, I’m sufficiently intrigued by this month’s challenge to see what I can come up with given my limitations. It’s early yet, so we’ll see…

You know this explains many things to me at least. Thanks for sharing your story. Me I didn’t start out as an artist. I was aiming for the stars literally. So I went the engineer route. I didn’t make it but maybe my son will. He is getting his masters in engineering now and he wants to go work for SpaceX.

Posted: 01 July 2012 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-01
music2u4u - 01 July 2012 05:10 PM

...NOTICE!...

As you know, or maybe don’t know, I announced a while back that each month there would be a featured freebie giver. Each entry will have to have at least one freebie by that person to qualify. Last month was Trumarcar.

This month will be Adam Thwaites from most-digital-creations.com. You must have a freebie by him to qualify for entry. I will announce who it will be each month, or the host can ask me before posting their intros. (next month will be HoboBo).

grin

Well let us hope we can keep the ball rolling.

Posted: 02 July 2012 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4699
Joined  2004-07-01
Dollygirl - 01 July 2012 10:29 PM

...NOTICE!...

grin

what ball ?

Posted: 02 July 2012 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1932
Joined  0

I have posted the June winners this morning. Sorry it took so long, but the storms came last night and power was out.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/1077/P840/#41910

grin

Signature 

I am not this way because I am a musician, I am a musician because I am this way.

old posts: 10,322 Daz member since Build 1

Freebie Challenge Rules! - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/286/

Posted: 02 July 2012 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-01
bigh - 02 July 2012 02:55 AM
Dollygirl - 01 July 2012 10:29 PM

...NOTICE!...

grin

what ball ?

That would be the great big ball of fun, bigh. Nah, not really l am kidding. I just meant that we keep progressing towards our goal of having a good time and see great renders for the month.
Lonnie

Posted: 02 July 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  965
Joined  2005-03-26

If you need any more encouragement to enter, this is what you get with Dollygirl’s Blinn shaders:  the only one I adjusted was the iris color.

Image Attachments
Ladysmith_Blinn_2.png
 Signature 

My dA gallery
For God’s sake!  Gallifrey Stands!

And God still reigns.

Posted: 02 July 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2676
Joined  2010-11-30

Aargh - I’m having trouble with the toon shaders! I suspect this is because of the age of my computer (still running XP - it’s that old). However, I get a completely unbudgeted paycheck on Wednesday, and all my bills are paid, so it looks like it’s new computer time. Hope I’ll have my content loaded before the end of the month…

In the meantime, here’s a bit of apropos freebie news: RPublishing has bought Vanishing Point’s “Comic Book Balloons” and made them available for free! Sign into your Rendo account, then surf to http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=68701

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge, or the RRRR, or any of the other contests. I think Jaderail would have wanted that.

Posted: 02 July 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  965
Joined  2005-03-26

It shouldn’t be a matter of OS:  all of my available shaders, and even the early setup for the Mephistopolis project (teasers to follow) were made in XP.  Unfortunately, my earlier Noir-Toon shaders will not work in DS4 unless you set them up in DS2 or DS3 and import the scene.  But any toon/sketch/art-style shader is accepted.  Just remember that commercial ones (“Visual Style” for instance) count as paid items.

Signature 

My dA gallery
For God’s sake!  Gallifrey Stands!

And God still reigns.

3 of 54